Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Sometimes when I am having some afternoon delight and I know the Angelus is coming up shortly I hold on and just as the first bell is struck I let it go..............

I call it The Cumming of our Lord

I then look out the window and towards the clouds and think deeply............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

This is something I've always wondered, whenever I've seen the Angelus before the news.

In the last few years the Angelus has changed. It used to be that whenever the bells would ring for the Angelus, that the person would stop what they were doing at once and look up at the sky or what have you.
    Now however, everybody just carries on what they're doing, and seem oblivous to it completely, what's that about?

I never really notice tbh. Most people wouldn't either, I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I always start singing For Whom The Bell Tolls when I hear them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

It used to be a pain in the arse in PE. Class ran from 11-1 and the instructor used to blow the whistle in the middle of a football game at 12 and everybody was expected to stop get in a circle and say the angelus. I had many a wonder goal chalked out because of that stupid ritual. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

remember the angelus in the ol'days??

they would be a simple picture of the virgin mary and bong bong bong bong for exactly 60 sec

i timed the angelus the other day and it was 57 sec long....its no wonder the country gone to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

AskJives wrote: »
    Basically,
    over the last few years RTE has subtly removed many religious aspects to the Angelus and introduced a more multi-cultured Ireland. So instead of religious imagery you see african people or asian people etc etc.

Because only white people have religious beliefs?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

10 minutes for the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's more of a cultural/traditional Irish thing than a religious thing at this stage imho.

Isn't thing a great word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AskJives

Because only white people have religious beliefs?

:rolleyes:

you feeling ok?
    Did you understand what I was saying in the post you quoted?
    Have you actually watched the angelus?

RTE has eased back on catholic imagery in the angelous these days because Ireland is now multi-cultured and with that means people have different beliefs. Watch it in a few minutes. You'll see that they are trying to make Ireland a diversified community... different people. different race. They dont just do the whole "stop then stare" thing no more.

Often you'll see some afican woman writing a letter or bloody what ever. diversified my friend.

feel like i am repeating myself...
    Basically,
    over the last few years RTE has subtly removed many religious aspects to the Angelus and introduced a more multi-cultured Ireland. So instead of religious imagery you see african people or asian people etc etc.

oh wait I am :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Often you'll see some afican woman writing a letter or bloody what ever. diversified my friend.

feel like i am repeating myself...

oh wait I am :rolleyes:

QUESTION - is RTE the only state broadcaster that does the angelus??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Shouldn't it really be a fourteen minute Angelus? People don't often have the chance to take time out and worship, so a longer Angelus would be a good opportunity to do this.

haha.

I see what RTE are thinking tho ...
    Lets take Nigerians for example. Northern Nigerian is generally muslim. While the south is christian. Alot of Nigerians in Ireland... So ... if RTE want to make the angelus more multi-cultured its clear they dont wanna make it too catholic (which is what they did by removing ALOT of catholic imagery)

But with that said, its kinda stupid. Ireland is officially an catholic country. Why change to suit others? :confused:

But with that said, its kinda stupid. Ireland is officially an catholic country. Why change to suit others? :confused:

is it?

i reckon 50% of the population is closet atheist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I don't know about the rest of you but when I hear the Angelus I get down on my hunkers and try desperately to perform autofellatio... just like your supposed to do.

I don't believe in the whole god(s) thing and I do think the state should be as secular as possible but I don't have any issue with the Angelus minute because I believe it has become more of an Irish cultural tradition than a religious intrusion.

I'm open to being persuaded otherwise though.

philstar wrote: »
    is it?

i reckon you are right. but its just the rep ireland has. just like other countries. ireland being catholic, england being prosestant. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I don't believe in the whole god(s) thing and I do think the state should be as secular as possible but I don't have any issue with the Angelus minute because I believe it has become more of an Irish cultural tradition than a religious intrusion.

I'm open to being persuaded otherwise though.

Yeah I agree. It's a bit pointless getting upset about it. It's here to stay I think (RTE have rejected a number of complaints, saying they provide ample viewing time for other faiths, not just Catholicism or Christianity) but it has been secularised completely, which should keep the boardsies happy. They played the angelus on Good Friday - a big no no for Catholics. I actually like it though. I'd rather a short minute of bells than a minute of ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I emailed RTE to complain about the Angelus. I got an email back to say my complaint had been passed on to their religious department. Then i got an email from them asking why i thought the Angulus should be stopped. I wrote back to them and they never replied back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the one where all the people are cleaning up the little park by the river, that's in a small town in Clare called Sixmilebridge. what I don't understand is how they missed the best part. where the road goes past the river, there is a relatively large float dressed up as a pub called the Duck inn, usually has a few fellas in it and all..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theyellabelly/3996482920/lightbox/

put that on tv, instant classic. :D

woodoo wrote: »
    I emailed RTE to complain about the Angelus. I got an email back to say my complaint had been passed on to their religious department. Then i got an email from them asking why i thought the Angulus should be stopped. I wrote back to them and they never replied back.

What were your reasons?

marty1985 wrote: »
    What were your reasons?

I just told them i don't know if they get many emails on the subject but i would like to add my vote to its removal if they do. I think its pretty pointless. It is noisy, not everyone is religious.

If its for a minutes reflection why not have a minutes silence. I find the bells to be an awful racket.

You like silence so much they gave you a silent response. Well played RTE, well played.

You like silence so much they gave you a silent response. Well played RTE, well played.

I'd prefer they skip right to the news and leave out that hideous banging noise that passes for religious reflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I thought this thread was "The Avengers" which was a good film, I will add. But Ed Norton wasn't in it:(

I hope I am not interrupting an important debate as to why RTE and religion in general are shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I always start singing For Whom The Bell Tolls when I hear them :)

Or Hells Bells by AC/DC :cool:

They played the angelus on Good Friday - a big no no for Catholics. I actually like it though. I'd rather a short minute of bells than a minute of ads.

really:confused: why is that?

Sitting happily eating your dinner waiting for the news headlines:

6:00pm comes .. Dong, Dong, Doooong, Dong, Doooonnnng.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

philstar wrote: »
    is it?

Maybe but they're still fcukin catholic :confused:

Advertisement