Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scared of going back to work

Options
  • 31-10-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey everyone,

i know this will seem a stupid problem and that there are many who would love to be in my position. Ive been out of work for over 2years and finally managed to get a job in IT (which is what i used to do) . I am delighted to have a job, my problem is that i feel sick with nerves and doubts. I just feel like ive lost all confidence when it comes to working, and having to deal with problems and people every day.

I know everyone is nervous on a first day, but this is worse. I keep wondering why they hired me - i do my work to the best of my abilities, but im not a computer whizz by any means and i know there must have been people who were better qualified than me. Im also worried about meeting loads of new people as im pretty shy. Afaik its an open plan office which makes this even worse - if i mess up on the job, everyone is going to hear about it.

Im just looking for advice on how to calm my nerves. If i go in there as nervous as i am, i know im going to come across as a bumbling idiot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

First day jitters. They will understand.

Strangely enough the only people who seem to do well in IT are those that think they dont know everything. They are the only ones who research, the only ones who try and better themselves.

Those that think they are awesome are not only difficult to work with, they are fooling themselves.

Oh. Also ... you are in IT. People dont expect you to be normal.

Heres something to cheer you up.

stffprof.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I had this issue with a few jobs I worked in. I just felt it was complete "luck" that I got the job. I was always criticised by my dad and even in school and colleges teachers would always criticise -I'd live in fear of failing an exam.

But work isn't the same as school. You shouldn't expect to be put down or criticised constantly. There's no such thing as "failing" really (apart from being sacked which won't happen if you Just work your hardest between 9-5, pride yourself on a good day's work then head home and relax.

Also be aware your employer does not expect you to be up to speed for a few months so relax and take it easy. Enjoy being the newbie. If you try to take on too much at once you will just make mistakes or set a precedent where your employer expects too much.

Being good at a job is not all about technical skills, it's your ability to work with (and to some extent "play") your manager and co-workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It is human to doubt oneself but make allies at work and concentrate on the so-called "soft" skills, networking, influencing, earning trust etc.

Look for and work through monthly meetings for feedback on performance. You are entitled to know how you are getting on. Get everything in writing.

For the 1st 2 years of employment you can be let go for no reason on a months notice so its a matter of keeping on top form for those 2 years. After that Ireland has among the best protections in the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Don't be worrying. You will be fine! They hired you for a reason.

Remember your strengths. And spot your weaknesses and know you can improve on them.

Good luck!!!

Advertisement