Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

English HL paper2 predictions?? Othello question in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Patsy6546 wrote: »
    English HL paper2 predictions?? Othello question in particular?

Possibly Iago, theme of jealousy/revenge/deception or role of women. Character of Othello came up last time and considering the play isn't on the LC a whole lot, I doubt they'd repeat it.

Possibly Iago, theme of jealousy/revenge/deception or role of women. Character of Othello came up last time and considering the play isn't on the LC a whole lot, I doubt they'd repeat it.
    Was thinking to focus on Iago and desdemona and how they are polar opposites and the imagery surrounding them

Comparative study question? Team/Issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Patsy6546 wrote: »
    Comparative study question? Team/Issue?

Theme and Issue
    Literary Genre ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Dickinson, Montague, Donne and maaaybe Yeats for poetry. I think Good Vs. Evil/Imagery and Symbolism for Othello. Literary Genre for Comparitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tcofla

Do people think I'll be okay for othello if I learn questions on
    1-othello as tragic hero
    2-Iago as a bit of a prick
    3-Desdemona as too good(disagree)
    4-theme jealousy and revenge
    5-theme good vs evil
    6-imagery and symbolism?

Any predictions with the Irish essays? I reckon seandaoine is a shout- mock and not come up yet and was on a sample paper

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Pete123456

May aswell throw in my two cents... be very careful going on predictions on threads and fb etc... Heaney and Plath were supposedly a dead cert the year of my leaving, because the whole country figured "ah shur... they havent been up in years they HAVE to come up this year..." Everybody banked on them and neither were on the paper. i remember Ruairi Quinn saying at one stage before the lc that they had to take away from predictions and trends.. and that he did... There were all sorts of predictions going around and not just for english, but having been there, be wise about what you study and dont leave yourself caught out on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Pete123456 wrote: »
    May aswell throw in my two cents... be very careful going on predictions on threads and fb etc... Heaney and Plath were supposedly a dead cert the year of my leaving, because the whole country figured "ah shur... they havent been up in years they HAVE to come up this year..." Everybody banked on them and neither were on the paper. i remember Ruairi Quinn saying at one stage before the lc that they had to take away from predictions and trends.. and that he did... There were all sorts of predictions going around and not just for english, but having been there, be wise about what you study and dont leave yourself caught out on the day!

That will go down as some legend told by teachers to pupils in fifty years time, "Oh, I remember one year, the 'Pleaney year' they called it..."

Ah sure if you study Montague and Yeats, you're sorted! Ahm, yeah, I'll be studying five. Poetry is my favourite section, and I like to apply Murphy's law when studying for the LC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EmilyJane2812

English HL poets:
    Dickinson
    Montague
    Donne
    Frost
    >>strongly believe that Ni Chuilleanain will not make an appearance. She is far too predictable. A female poet must come up every year, seeing as 2 of the 3 female poets on this years course came up last year, everyone will rule out Plath and Dickinson. Plath has come up two years in a row, she is not likely to come up for a third year in a row. People will forget about Dickinson, she is the least predictable out of all the female poets.
    In 2012, everyone said that Heaney and Plath would be there. They appeared on all the pres and did not come up on the leaving cert. Think like an examiner, they will not put something on the paper that everyone thinks will come up, they do this to throw people off from learning off set answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

reckon hardy will he didn't come up last year and hes not on the curriculum until at least 2019! if hes going to come up it has to be this year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

But does a female poet actually HAVE to come up? I think if there's no genuine rule then this is the year it'd be all male.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

But does a female poet actually HAVE to come up? I think if there's no genuine rule then this is the year it'd be all male.

According to my teacher, a female poet does not have to come up so anything is possible this year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But does a female poet actually HAVE to come up? I think if there's no genuine rule ...
    There's no rule, it's simply tradition that at least one female poet will. Traditions can change ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 owenoneill

Donne's poetry isn't so bad once you figure out the major themes in each of his poems. Then you can just pick out the important bits and ignore all the 17th century 'humour'.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Here is an essay guide that I found, it includes some sample essays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

For English drama, would knowing quotes and details of
    - Main character development
    - Main character relationship with two other key characters
    - Key scene build up
    - Techniques used to make play compelling
    - Evil characters vs good characters
    - Universal themes throughout play
    - Viscous character development

be enough to cover all areas?

I'm doing King Lear (in 5th year at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Kremin

- Key scene build up

Is it for the single text or for the comparative study?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

lucy17 wrote: »
    what are the main themes in ni chuilleanain's poems ?

Seeing as no one replied to this yet, they are nature, isolation, death, the sorrow of history, spirituality, mythology & folklore and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 orangebasin

Do you think it would be too risky to only do frost and ni chuilleanain ? I'm seriously thinking of chancing it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Do you think it would be too risky to only do frost and ni chuilleanain ? I'm seriously thinking of chancing it..

You still have a couple of weeks. If it were the night before the exam I would say fair enough but PLEASE do not take that sort of risk when you still have a good bit of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3 orangebasin

Thank you for replying. I really didn't want to spend that amount of time on english i am only looking for aa C1. Could i ask which poet would you recommend for my third poet then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Kremin wrote: »
    Is it for the single text or for the comparative study?

Single text

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jm12334567

I'm planning on learning 3 poets montogue , Yeats and ni chuilleanain .. I reckon one of them has to come up ! Opinions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

- Key scene build up

Nearly every year its either a character or technical question.

So for Othello I am learning:
    - Othello
    - Iago
    - Little bit of Desdemona, Cassio & Emilia
    - Themes (Racism, jealously etc)
    - Imagery/Symbolism (Bestial imagery, images of nets and traps, the handkerchief etc)
    - Quotes
    - Plot summary

I don't know King Lear but you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Jm12334567 wrote: »
    I'm planning on learning 3 poets montogue , Yeats and ni chuilleanain .. I reckon one of them has to come up ! Opinions ?
    You should learn Hardy/Donne at least a little bit too to cover yourself

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A lot of stuff re: HL English split off to it's own thread ...

For the single text - is question (a) on characters and is question (b) on themes or imagery?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

What exactly is Good vs Evil Is is basically contrasting certain aspects such as Othello's repentance and Iago's lack of repentance?

• Advertisement

Peg14 wrote: »
    What exactly is Good vs Evil Is is basically contrasting certain aspects such as Othello's repentance and Iago's lack of repentance?
    Think it's more desdemona vs iago and all the images associated with them heavenly vs diabolical

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement