Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Donne
    Frost
    that's all we've done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

We have done:
    Dickinson
    Plath
    Frost
    Montague
    Yeats

I'm going studying the top 4 and perhaps Hardy. God damn you Plath coming up last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

We've done Montague, Frost, Yeats and Dickinson. I like them all EXCEPT Montague, his poetry is the most pointless, boring stuff ever (imo) The only poem I do from him like is Killing the Pig cause it gives me lots to write about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

We've done:

Frost
    Yeats
    Plath
    Dickinson
    Montague

Really liked Frost and ... fingers crossed!

Wow I seem to have covered so little :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

We've done Montague and Donne...

One of my friends has a theory that Montague's "The Trout" is about him masturbating in the bath. I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Lads ye know there's gonna be no plath. Might aswell just have 7 poets

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Lads ye know there's gonna be no plath. Might aswell just have 7 poets

Most likely won't have Dickinson either

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

True story

That's what they said with Plath last year ;)

Heaney is definitely coming up this year lads, I can feel it!

Nah Montague/Frost ftw!

• Advertisement

Heaney isn't on our course.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Is mise John

Ive covered : Plath, Donne, Yeats and Frost . Also did 2 poems of ni chuileanain. Dickson and Plath probably won't be up. Good chance Eilean ni chuilleanain will tho :(

And I hate her poetry with a passion
    Hi is mise john I'm is mise Spartacus :D

Heaney isn't on our course.....

Whaa.... you mean I've been studying Heaney for no reason at all...bo*locks! :pac:

Haven't even done Ní Chuileanain and I hate her with a passion, horrible stuff!

Poets Prescribed for Higher Level:

DICKINSON, Emily (4)
    DONNE, John (1)
    FROST, Robert (2)
    HARDY, Thomas
    MONTAGUE, John
    NÍ CHUILLEANÁIN, Eiléan
    PLATH, Sylvia (3)
    YEATS, William

I'll probably just do those 4 because I really don't like the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

So far we've done Dickinson, Yeats and Ní Chuilleanáin, I'd say that there's a fair chance of Ní Chuilleanáin coming up. Rue the day when there isn't a woman on the paper; plus she's Irish. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Oozamine

My teachers convined that Montague and ENC will come up.
    Dont know why people dont like Montague, i feel his poetry is the easiest to get your head around and straight forward enough quotes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Eilean Ni Chuilleanain is well overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Oozamine wrote: »
    My teachers convined that Montague and ENC will come up.
    Dont know why people dont like Montague, i feel his poetry is the easiest to get your head around and straight forward enough quotes !

My teacher too. And its not exactly that with Montague, i think because he is so straightforward, i find his poetry boring to talk about or like i just find myself summarising instead of find a meaning or whatever :P

Montague ftw lads!
    Such an easy poet :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

How do ye guys learn poetry? The last thing I want to do is match up the wrong poet with the wrong poem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

We've done Plath, Dickinson, Frost and Ní Chuilleanáin. We're going to do Montague and Yeats, I think.

Surely Plath or Dickinson wouldn't appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

d1234 wrote: »
    How do ye guys learn poetry? The last thing I want to do is match up the wrong poet with the wrong poem!
    After a while Im sure you'll know which goes to who? Like you will be writing several full essays on each throughout the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

ENC is almost a dead set. She's Irish and a woman!

Hopefully John Donne doesn't show up, his poetry is a pile of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I've done Frost, Plath and Dickinson so far. Favourite so far would have to be Frost. Will be doing Montague and Ní Chuileanán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

cant remember what the teacher said so how many women + men poets do we have to do?

cant remember what the teacher said so how many women + men poets do we have to do?

There is 8 poets on the course and 4 come up on the paper. If you do 5 you're guaranteed at least one will come up. Every year there is always a female poet and Irish poet hence why ENC is well tipped to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Blue giant wrote: »
    There is 8 poets on the course and 4 come up on the paper. If you do 5 you're guaranteed at least one will come up. Every year there is always a female poet and Irish poet hence why ENC is well tipped to come up.
    thanks for your post, also i remember him mentioning about learning a number of poets and you'll be sorted type of thing, can you care to explain? :o

thanks for your post, also i remember him mentioning about learning a number of poets and you'll be sorted type of thing, can you care to explain? :o

I just did :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 LCK97

we've done Plath, Dickinson, Frost and Chuilleanain, female and irish poet usually comes up so Chuilleanain seems like a safe enough bet:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement