Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a guinea pig right for me?

• 02-08-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have just started thinking about getting a guinea pig but I have somewhat different circumstances. I live in my own house but I use a powered wheelchair and I was just wondering would any who has experience with guinea pigs be able to advise me as to how easy they are to look after and whether they would be content staying in their cage all the time? Also how much space would you need for two guinea pigs? I would like a guinea pig but am open minded about any small animal. I would love to have a dog but I wouldn't be able to properly look after them and I am not a cat fan, so I am looking for a pet that is easy enough to look after but still has their own personality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Hi, I have 5 guinea pigs plus 9 baby pigs :) I think they'd be a good pet for you, and are quite easy to look after. Check out www.irishguineapigs.com

You'd need to have two really, two males or two females can work together :) For two females you really need the cage to be at least 120cmX60cm and bigger for males if possible, because males get bigger and need more space to help them get along with each other.

But if they'll be in the cage all the time then you could have a cage that's a bit bigger, and then they should be happy enough to be in there all the time. They can't jump very high, so you can make cages or pens that are really big and really cheap if the sides are about 40cm high then they usually can't get out.

Also check www.zooplus.ie for cages. There's the Skyline Maxi XXL cage that's 120cmX60cm and should be big enough for two girls and is only €40 :) Though that has a door on the roof, which might be kinda awkward, if you got a cage with a large door on the front and you had it on top of a table or something (they like to be at eye level, cos it scares them to look down on them) then it might be easier for cleaning them and all.

They're pretty easy to look after. They don't necessarily need to be handled or cuddled, but you can when they get used to you. Or you can just watch them and feed them treats and stuff, they're very entertaining. :) They need hay at all times to eat, fresh veg everyday, water and guinea pig food, and the cage to be kept clean, and then they should be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you do deceide on guinea pigs as said deffo get two but be very careful where you get them from, many pet shops sell pregnant and unhealthy and inbred guineas it would be better if you took on two from a reputable rescue or from a responsible experienced breeder. Do plenty of reading up and research before hand.

My website will give you a step by step guide on what to do before and after you get your guineas. It also has links to other helpful websites and extra info. on diet and housing. http://guineapigcottage.webs.com/

Zooplus is a good site to have a look at but as said if you must keep them caged the cage would have to be very big, zooplus still do 2 and 3 tiered cages which might be handy for you to reach for daily feeding etc. but also give the guineas enough space.

They need regular handling to check for any skin problems and to have them well used to being handled for vet checks. Very important to have an experienced vet in your area that knows about guineas, some still haven't a bogs notion.

They do make great pets but need more cleaning and care than say a gerbil or hammy. They also need baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

That's great thanks a lot, zooplus.ie is a great resource, has given me lots of possibilities. Thanks again for all the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What a small breed dog like a chihuahua?

I find a lot of guinepig cages in the shops to be too small, it would be cheaper to construct your own one or get someone to do it for you.

I noticed that with my own gp's when I had them in they didn't fully relax if the tv or lap top was on. Don't know why, they may have been sensitive to something that we're not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Completely off-topic, but for some unknown reason guinea pigs love being read to, you can read the sports section aloud as long as it's in the right tone of voice and they all pile up together completely relaxed listening intently. The only drawback is that when you stop reading they start screaming at you rolleyes.gif

Guineas are fairly easy to manage and provide hours of entertainment with their antics and little chats. The best thing to do is use fleece blankets or towels as bedding which makes life much easier,you just give it good shake outside and pop in the washing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Completely off-topic, but for some unknown reason guinea pigs love being read to, you can read the sports section aloud as long as it's in the right tone of voice and they all pile up together completely relaxed listening intently. The only drawback is that when you stop reading they start screaming at you rolleyes.gif

Seriously?? I'm going to try this with my 2.

I agree with other poster gps are fun amusing little critters and are fairly easy to keep if in the right setting. So get the best cage you can and have fun but make sure you get a pair and from a good breeder who can sex them properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think this qualifies as the funniest image anyone is going to manage to put into my head today! Hilarious! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check out the C&C cages Homevalue hardware are selling the panels at the mo.
    They are an alternative to regular cages.
    I found blankets a pain though I always found newspapers with hay on top more popular with the pigs and easier to clean, just roll up and throw away.
    Could never get all the hay bits out of the bedding, but used vet beds for elderly and poorly or recovering piggies.
    The website gorgeous guineas is brilliant.
    I'll shut up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Thanks a lot for all your help, I have a lot of info to chew over and hopefully I will be the owner of something cute and cuddly in the near future. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I have gerbils they are very easy to look after and fun to look at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement