Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Article on Squaresofts localisation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Localization can be such a headache.

the first time I especially noticed and enjoyed an RPG's localization was FFXII.

Items had their own "noun" such as a "peck of gylish greens", or a "phial of eyedrops" etc. and they even got the a/an right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think they gave FFVIII a bit too much credit, found the localisation to be very awkward with some really terrible dialogue. However I think it might be down to how awful the story and dialogue was in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

In what way was the localisation bad? I didn't notice. Was japanese Squall really outgoing and exuberant or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Seems to be mainly the same stuff that was said in the latest 8-4 podcast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mindkiller wrote: »
    In what way was the localisation bad? I didn't notice. Was japanese Squall really outgoing and exuberant or something?

He was an emo twat in the japanese one as well. I think the reason of FF8 seeming to be bad is that they kept it true to the japanese game but the japanese version was a terrible story to begin with. It's actually FF7 where the characters were changed, Cloud was more like Shinji from Evangelion, reluctant, timid and emo, rather than the hard ass soldier of FF7. It's why he is so different in Crisis Core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He was an emo twat in the japanese one as well. I think the reason of FF8 seeming to be bad is that they kept it true to the japanese game but the japanese version was a terrible story to begin with. It's actually FF7 where the characters were changed, Cloud was more like Shinji from Evangelion, reluctant, timid and emo, rather than the hard ass soldier of FF7. It's why he is so different in Crisis Core.

Yea i really didnt like cloud from Crisis Core...been really weak as a main character works if you find that strength from somewhere.
    God do you remember cloud dragging the buster sword off during the last scene like such a little weakling lol

Squall was bit of an annoying teenage emo character, the story kinda...well sucked and the junction system was awful...so why is it still such a fun game to play?

carbonkid wrote: »
    Yea i really didnt like cloud from Crisis Core...been really weak as a main character works if you find that strength from somewhere.
    God do you remember cloud dragging the buster sword off during the last scene like such a little weakling lol

Squall was bit of an annoying teenage emo character, the story kinda...well sucked and the junction system was awful...so why is it still such a fun game to play?

Well that's exactly the way he was in FFVII. FFVII has plenty of things in it that rip off Evangelion, from the use of religious references although in the case of FFVII they did it really badly, the weapons being basically EVAs and characters, Cloud was Shinji the annoying weak whiny bitch, Tifa was the strong tomboy that couldn't express her feelings just like Asuka and Aeris was Rei although that one is a little more tenuous. Sephiroth was changed as well, he's a total badass in the western release when in the japanese release it's more obvious that sephiroth is a total patsy to jenova.

As for FF8 well I think it's just like FF7. Despite all the flaws it breezes along at a nice pace and is very easy with little challenge so it keeps up it's swift pace the whole way through. As for junctioning, it wasn't so bad. My main problem was that if you didn't understand it you were felt summoning over and over again which was boring. It really wasn't well explained. However well it finally clicks and makes sense the game becomes a push over because it's so easy to break. However breaking the junction system was fun in itself.

Cloud wasn't a little bitch. Why do people say that?
    He had a bit of an identity crisis for a while on disc 2 and that was it. It's not like he jerked off to Aeris' corpse and spent the rest of the game crying in a foetal position or anything like that

He had a bit of an identity crisis for a while on disc 2 and that was it. It's not like he jerked off to Aeris' corpse and spent the rest of the game crying in a foetal position or anything like that

He was a little bitch in the japanese version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

:O (i got your reference but)if cloud did that , he is wayyyyyy more than a little bi*tch!!!

Jrpg has always been aiming on teenagers anyway, just look at how young of all characters in most jrpg. teenagers = emo, i have no problem with that at all.

for the localization i actually love the way they did it when they were lack of human/resourses translation team in american branch. the translator/s actually need to play and understand the game(they may not do the understanding part very well :pac:) to produce the english translation, which brought us some classic lines like 'son of the submariner!!'. alot of ff4-ff9's cheesey dialogue always make me lol :)

• Advertisement

Even in the western version Cloud had Aeris throwing herself at him and he did nothing. Then he got Tifa all alone on the Highwind just before the final battle. Perfect oppurtunity to pound some ass and he wastes it on some snuggles.

So yeah, Cloud = Pussysaurus Rex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Even in the western version Cloud had Aeris throwing herself at him and he did nothing. Then he got Tifa all alone on the Highwind just before the final battle. Perfect oppurtunity to pound some ass and he wastes it on some snuggles.

Square confirmed later that they banged. Cant remember where I read that though.

megaten wrote: »
    Square confirmed later that they banged. Cant remember where I read that though.
    lol what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

How do you confirm later?...it either happened in the game or not lol

After seeing him in crisis core, i completely agree with this!

I don't remember Aeris throwing herself at Cloud either. Maybe that was a japanese exclusive feature as well.

Do you speak Japanese Retrogamer? I mean, have you played/read the original script of FFVII or what?

Do you speak Japanese Retrogamer? I mean, have you played/read the original script of FFVII or what?

Nope just heard it but from plenty of reliable sources like WAHP,and the 1up guys who do know japanese and pretty much RPG experts. Think the way Cloud acts in Crisis Core which is much better localised and true to the source material also backs it up. Also don't think that cloud and tifa getting it on was confirmed although it's definitely could be read that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm glad we got the stoic version then.

if you know about japanese culture, i think cloud is one of those typical 'herbivore' males:pac: (pussies)

Advertisement