Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin alone for a few days

• 17-06-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi!

Im Lynsey 28 from Durham.
    I m going to be in Dublin for a few days over the summer alone. Well, heading over with my ex and our baby so he can see his family but I don't want to be away from my daughter for the whole time hence me going.

His family live in Malahide , and I will be staying in a hotel (not sure where yet ).

Has anyone got any ideas of stuff I could do during the day by myself? Or evening when I haven't got my daughter with me?

I am thinking of contacting a guy I used to go to uni with just to see if I can tag along with him for something. But seen as though we havcnt spoke in about 5 years I might not . haha

Anyway, heading over in August.

Ideas? Im prob not the type of person that would sit in a bar alone, well a busy bar at least.

THANKS XX

Lynsey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Hi there,

You can check this website out and see if there are any events on when you're here. Most people go to them not knowing anyone either and there is loads of stuff to do from drinking to sightseeing.

http://www.meetup.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 linzi765

thanks! Ive just been looking at groups for back at home too x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ok, help us out a little here. Are you looking for day/night things, tourist attractions, museums, beaches, pubs, clubs?

Basically if someone was visiting you what are the kinda places you'd bring them? Might help us narrow the search a little.

(sorry if that sounds dickish)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 linzi765

Just things to do on my own! I was hoping people would have ideas.
    I think I will probably stay around the city centre , so narrows it down a bit. Not a museum fan.

I guess I'm going to ending up aimlessly wandering the shops and then eating!
    I tried the meet up website the PP mentioned but doesn't come up with anything for dublin.

Maybe some insider knowledge of something similar to that where I can meet people whilst there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

linzi765 wrote: »
    I think I will probably stay around the city centre , so narrows it down a bit. Not a museum fan.

I tried the meet up website the PP mentioned but doesn't come up with anything for dublin.
    Yes looks like that will be the extent for you. The other day, I bought a book entitled "Quiet New York", which is about New York and is focused for someone visiting to the Big Apple on their own.
    Dublin is not really a big enough city for an equivalent publication to be published, sorry..
    Dublin has become a city which is prioritised towards the group tour, and the people you see on the Viking Tour buses,(unmistakable Yellow Vehicles), Red Line bus tours and Original Dublin Bus Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Absolutely nothing stopping you doing the bus tours or other attraction tours by yourself, and you might end up meeting people that way. Alternatively, look into things like the Literary Pub Crawl or even the theatres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Nothing on meetup for Dublin........whhhhaaatttt? Don't think so! There's a gazillion groups on there organising events all the time. Just type in your interest and you're sorted.

Yes I use meetup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

For a night out try one of the pub crawls. There are different companies doing them and plenty of people do them on their own I think.

http://www.vikingpubcrawl.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

maguic24 wrote: »
    Nothing on meetup for Dublin........whhhhaaatttt? Don't think so! There's a gazillion groups on there organising events all the time.

this might be a better link: http://www.meetup.com/cities/ie/dublin/

There must be over 200 groups on there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

this might be a better link: http://www.meetup.com/cities/ie/dublin/

There must be over 200 groups on there now.

Something crazy like that! It's fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you're in the city centre, drop into the National Museum anyway. It's free, there are no queues and you never know - maybe you'll take a fancy to the heaps of gold or the bog-bodies. :)

Advertisement