Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/pay off roading / green lanes info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The rates seem perfectly fine to me.

I have a question though, are any of the courses open to quads, or is it just full size 4wds?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The rates seem perfectly fine to me.

I have a question though, are any of the courses open to quads, or is it just full size 4wds?

Thanks.

Our lease specifically excludes quads and bikes. That's not to say that Coillte is against quads and bikes, its just the lease we have and it suited us then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

just wondering

I know full well that manual is the far preferred option for offroading for a whole host of reasons. but is there many who use auto 4x4's?

mainly aimed at John I suppose, is their much of an option for something like an L200 to just do a bit of a trail, nothing major like destroying the body work, but still presenting a challenge? I'll have to wait to get an old SWB pajero to do the crazy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

alexlyons wrote: »
    just wondering

I know full well that manual is the far preferred option for offroading for a whole host of reasons. but is there many who use auto 4x4's?
    Autos off road no problem and are prefered by some as you dont loose momentum when changing gear.
    mainly aimed at John I suppose, is their much of an option for something like an L200 to just do a bit of a trail, nothing major like destroying the body work, but still presenting a challenge? I'll have to wait to get an old SWB pajero to do the crazy stuff!
    I`m sure he will answer for himself but I believe there are wide tracks in the forest similar to green lanes.

Gelnmalure, Co. Wicklow. N52 59`45", W 6 25`51". There is a small free area on the side of the road to play. The Park Rangers dont mind anyone playing there but dont go up into the hills.

• Advertisement

Yep, it goes from typical forest tracks where no damage will come to your vehicle to extreme and everything in between.

Autos off road no problem and are prefered by some as you dont loose momentum when changing gear.

that seems good, kinda what i was hoping for but not expecting! I was hoping to get an L200 but the tax for non comercial is 2100 and not sure if i'll manage to get it commercial :mad:
    Yep, it goes from typical forest tracks where no damage will come to your vehicle to extreme and everything in between.

that sounds good! i may look at getting an old old pajero for the really extreme stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The Nagle mountains in cork have loads of 4x4 trails that are owned by Coillte.

NAGLEMTNTRAIL2.jpg

NAGLEMTNTRAIL.jpg

NAGLEMTNTRAIL3.jpg

Disclaimer; you can only use these roads with the express permission of Coillte.

There is a area in Kilmacanogue, Co Wicklow that bikers use on the side of The Sugarloaf. I havent seen any 4X4s using it though. Its at N53 09`37", W 6 09`58", through a gate on the left up from the village. I think its common ground. I dont know if its legal for the bikers to be there or not but the local farmer doesnt object.

Ye i know a guy who uses that, says its pretty good alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

would love to go along for a day but do you need full size 4x4. Would vitara on road tyres just block the lane for others:eek:.

the mucker wrote: »
    would love to go along for a day but do you need full size 4x4. Would vitara on road tyres just block the lane for others:eek:.

Well you have to start somewhere and coming along in your Vitara is a start. You won't block fire tracks as they are plenty wide. If you go onto some more extreme tracks you probably would but there again you're probably not going to do that.

Come along and drive the fire tracks and watch. Beware though, you will want to come back :D

Keep an eye on the "Events before" forum at http://leinster4x4.ie/vbulletin and you'll see a thread usually with a date on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

will do thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Hi all,
    For all Land Rover owners out there,
    Non members are welcome to Club Land Rovers Irelands events. Held on the last sunday of every month in are coilte leased Forest in wicklow. Prices for non members are €35 for the day. All forms of off roading are catered for. Insurance Tax and Doe/Nct are required as is recovery gear. Families welcome. Keep an eye on www.clri.net for more events. And in the forum section there is also a non club events worth keeping an eye on for non land rover off-roaders..

Leinster4x4 prices are spot on between Insurance and coilte off roading is not cheap.. Though great value for money. People pay more to walk round golf courses.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

Hi All, I know its a while since the last post on this topic but I'm new on here so you'll have to excuse me on that one.
    I recently had the pleasure of being a participant on a owners club day out in Wicklow with the Leinster 4x4 club and I really enjoyed it. There was all manner of terrain available to try out and all for the most part non damaging.
    We were very well looked after with a lead vehicle and someone at the back to offer encouragement to those with a nervous disposition or pull out the ones who bit off a little more than they could chew.
    Although if you and your vehicle were able for it and up for it then there was loads of more challenging sections available and help on hand to get you through.
    I have also experienced Munster 4x4 terrain at a more intense level on several occasions and I love it. Its generally worth every penny, if not for the day out but for all you learn about your vehicles limits and some of yours too. They too have lanes suitable for all oh and no matter what kind of a mess you make out of it you don't get left behind.

Have a look at Munster 4x4 website and the gallery section for the extreme bits then go have a look at the "3 Peaks Challenge" in October each year. Most of the money raised over and above whats needed to run the events throughout the year goes to local charities.
    Hope the above is of use to someone thinking of giving it a go offroad.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Picked up from Hillbilly 4x4 and LRA forum. Commercial site but opening event profits they say will go to charity. I'll probably go anyway.
    The official opening of the DARTFIELD OFF-ROAD COURSE will take place over the weekend of May 22nd and 23rd 2010. This will be a family event with camping and a camp fire on the Saturday night and a full schedule from start to finish, of adventures, activities and tests of skill for all ages.

Activities will range from bouncing castles, kids pony rides, demonstrations of pony tacking, anatomy (pony anatomy that is), inspection, grooming, mucking out and shoeing (followed by a kids pony quiz, just to see if they were listening), safari drives, pony treeking, horsedrawn carriage rides, horseshoe throwing competitions, night safaris, night forest walks, kids navigation classes & exercises, lots of kids competitions, blindfold and reverse driving challanges, bush meat (deer & lamb) preparation, backwoods cooking, tour of the Dartfield Horse Museum etc. etc. etc. etc........and all included in the entrance fee.

As this is a private 350 acre estate, street legal and non street legal vehicles are welcome. Don't be put off by all the kids activities, they are there to allow the true off-roader time to indulge him (or her) self in some serious off-roading and winch recovery. One of the forest routes will require a winch and muds to get through it. A weekend of non-stop activity and adventure awaits you all.

Dartfield is located on the old N6 Dublin to Galway road, approx 35 miles east of Galway and half a mile west of Kilreekle. The town of Loughrea (5 miles to the west of Dartfield) has numerous shops, pubs, restaurants and deli/service stations.

The Dartfield Off-road course is not attached to any off-road or 4x4 club, and following the official opening will be available for use by all clubs and the general public.

Admission is €30 per vehicle for the weekend or €20 per vehicle per day. People inside the vehicles are free, so bring as many kids as you can control.

After expenses (rental of digger, portaloos, bouncing castles etc etc..), all proceeds will be divided between the two cancer charities of the Stargazer Lilly Foundation.

I will post a timed schedule of activities and some photos of the routes in the weeks coming up to the event.

E-mail blbyrne@eircom.net for further information.

Indications of attendance would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

Wow,
    Isn't that an interesting development.... How off road are the forestry sections......without meaning to offend anyone but are they Munster extreme or just Leinster extreme?
    Anyway it sounds brill to me and is relatively close to home too. Cost sounds reasonable too. Might make it to the open day yet.

Final question is it just the preserve of the Landie anoraks or can some real 4x4's attend too?

Best wishes:D

I reckon it's open house to anyone, let's have some proof all 4x4s are equal(ish). I know nothing about the site, just copied the details. I've pm'd the original poster, but here's a link to the main museum site http://www.dartfield.com/location.html

It would be good to see any 4x4 doing what they are built for and owners having fun, preferably followed by some banter over a few beers about who got stuck the most :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I like the sound of that. I hope I've time that weekend to go.

I'm going to be there from around 5pm Friday, know of several others going along as well. Promises to be a good weekend, if I'm not out in my Blue 110CSW, I'll be sipping beer out of the fridge in my trailer in the shade of a camouflage awning :cool::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 strange john

Hi all, After reading this thread, have we established that there are no free green lanes to be had?That's a shame. I have a 97 LWB Landcruiser and I'd love to get a bit more use out of it. Don't want to break it on anything too challenging and I'm not looking to modify at all. Just would love if there were some reasonably inaccessable parts of the country where you need a 4x4 to get to and have a wee picnic etc. Sounds idylic doesn't it? (wife is expecting, so the hikes we used to go on are on hold) Any suggestions? About the green laning...not the pregnant wife.

Hi John and welcome.

Yes it is a pity there are no extensive rights of way network here. You need to go to the wilds of Donegal and a few other places before you find much of interest, then you need to team up with someone local to get the best out of it. A recent charity event used a lot of tracks http://www.4x4challenge.org/

Otherwise, some of the 4x4 clubs have open days on Coilte forest tracks, see the recent thread for one on 25th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 strange john

Cheers Sean, I'll have a lok at that. If I discover anywhere on my travels, I'll post it here. Maybe that Google Street View might come in handy after all....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

There is a area in Kilmacanogue, Co Wicklow that bikers use on the side of The Sugarloaf. I havent seen any 4X4s using it though. Its at N53 09`37", W 6 09`58", through a gate on the left up from the village. I think its common ground. I dont know if its legal for the bikers to be there or not but the local farmer doesnt object.

I was passing by that a few weeks ago, enterance is all blocked up. Not to say by now there's not another way in, but someone sometime had an objection to it.

There is a meet and greet event being set up as a pre-curser to an inter-club challenge at Dartfield Equestrian centre near Loghrea on 16-17 July. Extensive off road courses from easy to "you'll be winching for hours"
    On the back of the enthusiasm for the interclub challenge I am pleased to announce a meet and greet event to be held on the 16/17 July 2011 at Dartfield off road centre. Camping/BBQ/beer drinking/welly throwing/ all available for the princely sum of €30!!! On the Sunday there is the option to put some trucks into the vintage parade/display in Ballinasloe.
    As this is the pre-curser to the interclub challenge proper I would hope to get support across the board. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

http://www.dartfield.com/

Taken from this thread on All Ireland 4x4 forum http://www.4xforum.net/index.php?topic=240.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

101sean wrote: »
    There is a meet and greet event being set up as a pre-curser to an inter-club challenge at Dartfield Equestrian centre near Loghrea on 16-17 July. Extensive off road courses from easy to "you'll be winching for hours"

Taken from this thread on All Ireland 4x4 forum http://www.4xforum.net/index.php?topic=240.0
    As far as I know this is on again this weekend on Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st.

It's open any time to individuals or groups as far as I'm aware, just turn up and pay, has one of the clubs got something going on?

Yeah im wrong with that particular location :P I know it does have something to do with some other Equestrian centre out near loughrea. Ill get the name of it and hopefully have it posted by tomorrow :)

Flowerhill 4x4 is around that area, caters for the more extreme end, definitely not for shiny motors!

http://www.flowerhill.net/4x4.html

• Advertisement

Yep thats the one! Was considering going up with one of the lads that has a pajero but it sounds a bit too extreme for the jeep. Its a long wheel base and normal clearance. Best thing it has really is a set of BF A/T's. No where near prepared enough :p

Advertisement