Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More Land Cruiser trouble :(

Options
  • 12-01-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Posting this for my Dad. He has a 2007 Land Cruiser, which just a few months ago had a full clutch kit change due to the release bearing being in trouble. This set him back €1000.

Just in the past few weeks, he has noticed a hum in lower gears and knows some thing's up. He suspected it must be related to the job just done as the noise sounds the same as when the release bearing started playing up.
    He had it at the main Toyota dealer today and they told him it is more than likely the Fly Wheel and that's another €1000 for the part alone!

He is well angry and wonders why they didn't see this when the whole thing was pulled apart?

Any ideas? Any other possibility as to what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

How long ago was the work done by Toyota?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NYCityBabe

As far as I recall it was sometime in September the clutch was done. But I do know, the car has done darn all mileage since, as my Dad is now retired.

Its a tough one, they surely would have inspected the dmf (dual mass flywheel) and passed it. Hard to see it gone in a few months unless jeep is being dogged by pulling boxes or clutch started down a hill.
    A second opinion to verify if its the dmf that is starting to go from another garage would be no harm.

Cheers Kevin!

Yes, second opinion very much needed.
    He's so depressed by the whole thing now. There wasn't a word about dmf when they did the job in September.
    It's not even pulled a trailer since then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Does the noise go when the clutch is pressed? What miles are on the cruiser? Does it sound rough when it's started our shut off (like a knock)

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    Does the noise go when the clutch is pressed? What miles are on the cruiser? Does it sound rough when it's started our shut off (like a knock)

Yes, the noise goes when the clutch is pressed. It's got 100,000 miles on the clock. Doesn't seem to sound rough on starting or shut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

NYCityBabe wrote: »
    Yes, the noise goes when the clutch is pressed. It's got 100,000 miles on the clock. Doesn't seem to sound rough on starting or shut off.
    Sounds like the dmf. The mileage and clutch being pressed nullifying it add up. You could inspect it yourself underneath, take off the inspection plate/grommet and check for loose grease which is another sign.

Thanks guys.

Seems to be that's what's up. My dad' still can't understand how they didn't see this at the time though. Surely it's a shabby job that replaces a clutch kit and neglects the DMF?

Op you said the noise is the same as before, a clutch release bearing noise and a dmf noise/vibration are totally different. Be questioning what actually Toyota actually did.

Yes, he says the noise is almost exactly the same now as when the release bearing started playing up. It started as a low humming noise when in 2nd gear and progressed to get much louder and present in other gears.

When Toyota did the job it stopped and all seemed fine, 'til now that is and here we go again. Is it possible it's the release bearing again, that they didn't do the darn thing right?

• Advertisement

A Toyota garage surely should know how to fix a Toyota, did your dad get a second opinion yet by an independent garage on it?

Not yet Kevin, he's so fed up of the whole thing now he can hardly look at the jeep!!!

I'll take it round to someone myself in a few days. Can't ignore the problem.

I would be depressed myself, let us know when you get the second opinion. im still pondering on you saying in your opening post that the jeep is gone back to the same noise and toyota telling you its the flywheel now. Will they come along and say something else is wrong when they have the jeep ripped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

NYCityBabe wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Posting this for my Dad. He has a 2007 Land Cruiser, which just a few months ago had a full clutch kit change due to the release bearing being in trouble. This set him back €1000.

Just in the past few weeks, he has noticed a hum in lower gears and knows some thing's up. He suspected it must be related to the job just done as the noise sounds the same as when the release bearing started playing up.
    He had it at the main Toyota dealer today and they told him it is more than likely the Fly Wheel and that's another €1000 for the part alone!

He is well angry and wonders why they didn't see this when the whole thing was pulled apart?

Any ideas? Any other possibility as to what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

Its sounds surprising that the DMF wasn't done at a clutch change. id have thought it would be a standard change when the jeep was ripped but the cost of the flywheel might be the reason for this. You would still have thought they might have said it to your father and left him make the decision.
    Generally in cars they go at 100k miles in cars.

If the Toyota garage has diagnosed it as a DMF any other garage will probably do the same but still worth checking out

Advertisement