Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flights! What would you do???

Options
  • 21-02-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I want to get my flights booked today and I’m in a bit of a quandry. My husband and I are doing a 14 night road trip in the US in September and we are staying in Rocky Mountain NP, CO (3 nights) Hill City, SD (3 nights) Cody, WY (1 night) Yellowstone (4 nights) and Jackson Hole, WY (2 nights) the original plan was to fly in and out of Denver, CO, so the spare night would be spent somewhere on the way between Jackson and Denver to break up that 8 hour drive.

Was all set to book flights today, when I hit on a good price flying into Denver and out of Jackson, it would only cost an extra €30 each and there would be no extra car hire charge for returning to a different airport. The plus side is that it would save us a long drive from Jackson to Denver, give us an extra night in Jackson Hole and save us having a one night stop somewhere.

The drawback is, it would require two stops (Dallas and Heathrow) instead of one stop and would take an extra 12-13 hours in flight times. The flight to Dublin is from Gatwick, so we would have to get from Heathrow to Gatwick (although we would have plenty of time to do so). Overall, the flight home from Jackson would take almost 24 hours not including the 7 hour time difference!

Can’t decide what to do… what would you guys do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd go with the additional day in Jackson Hole, and fly home via Jackson & Dallas. It will indeed be a long and tiring trip home, especially if you have to transfer to a different airport when you get to London. But the Denver-London-Dublin itinerary will be a long and tiring journey too. That's not exactly a walk in the park either, especially as you will have had a very long day in the car the day before.

No matter what itinerary you pick, you are going to arrive home bloody knackered and jet lagged. So why not choose the one that gives you an additional day and night in the States? That's what I would do. The drive from Jackson to Denver would be gorgeous at that time of year, but at that stage of your trip you will have already have seen a lot of gorgeous scenery. So unless there is something specific you want to do or see on the way to Denver, I'd give that drive a miss & fly home out of Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

It really depends on your stamina and what you have waiting for you when you get back.

If I were you I would not want to spend 24 hours travelling nor would I want to try to get from Gatwick to Heathrow. Heathrow is a time vortex and like a city in itself.

Are there any cheap flights that could take you from Jackson back to Denver? Or a flight from Jackson that takes you straight into Heathrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dont mean to disrupt but have you tried using Kayak.com for checking prices? It has a "multi city" option thats useful.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If I were you I would not want to spend 24 hours travelling nor would I want to try to get from Gatwick to Heathrow.

If the OP has an 8-10 hour drive from Jackson to Denver, with an over night stop on the way, aren't they gonna be on the road for the guts of two days altogether, and not just one? Another reason to fly home from Jackson imo.

I've done the Heathrow to Gatwick transfer. It's grand as long as you have enough time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If the OP has an 8-10 hour drive from Jackson to Denver, with an over night stop on the way, aren't they gonna be on the road for the guts of two days altogether, and not just one? Another reason to fly home from Jackson imo.

Thats why I suggested getting a flight from Jackson to Denver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi all, many thanks for the replies. I decided to go with the flight from Denver, it just seemed more straightforward. It only takes 11 hours Denver-Chicago-Dublin whereas the other option was nearly 24 hours.

I know we will have the extra driving, but after doing a bit if research, I've realised that its actually quite a nice drive and I've a few places in mind where we can spend the night.

Also with the Denver-Dublin option, we arrive in at 8:00 on the Sunday morning whereas with the flight via Heathrow we wouldn't get in til 15:00, so I'm hoping to get a snooze on the Sunday afternoon and be able to work the next day. Not sure that would be a goer with the other itinerary!

Thanks again for the replies. Can't wait to take this trip.

Advertisement