Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elite armed squad to tackle gangland crime in Limerick

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Unfortunately over the last few weeks this forum has not been a fun place to be. Too many cooks and all that.

I think this forum is a victim of its own success.

It was fun, lively and interesting when it started off a few months ago. I liked giving my two pence on what i know not what i think i know and i liked listening to members stories of what goes on in their station.

A lot of bull has been written and some regulars are responding to this bull, personally i wouldnt waste my precious time on these "Walters".

I can see this forum going down hill fast unless the mods get a grip on the time wasters here, not saying that the mods aren't doing there job:).

Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

exbootie wrote: »
    Athy bank raid 91, the ERU opened up on armed raiders with a combat shotgun and uzi's (a weapon total unsuitable for ERUs due to its inaccuracy over 20m, originally designed for Israeli paras for FIBU house clearing), wounding 19 civilians in the st, RTE news said the op was a major success....FACT.
    Bootylicious,
    It'd help if you'd post reliable links to support your facts and figures. I'm guessing some of the posters here, maybe yourself included, weren't even born or were toddlers then.

+1 for Yaya's post from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Duffers

exbootie wrote: »
    *3671*89

If I gave the full number potentially you could access my social security details.
    Hey folks, I was just browsing the forum and came across this.
    Marines service numbers either begin with 300 or PO in the case of the older numbers.

Answer these, ex bootie

Which side is the 25 metre range at 42 as you go through the camp gate, left or right?

As you enter the main gate of CTC, is Dutchy's to the left of the guard room or the right?

What is the most gopping thing of all the menus in a ration pack?

Who would you most likely hear the phrase 'Tup, three' from?

Is Arbers a hoofin run ashore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Your a sick man Fyr, a sick man :p

And my ignore list is fast overtaking my friend list seeing as I just added our elite mercenary / barrister friend (now thats a barrack room lawyer. :(

i do try master, i do try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Another point, people speak about the Rangers handling situations but its the ERU that handles hostage situations and armed incidents within the Republic.

Not 100% accurate. A defined role of the ARW is and always has been hostage rescue (http://www.military.ie/army/ranger/roles.htm) and they practice this on a constant basis, however this has always been an ATCP (Aid to the Civil Power) role, and would only be in co-operation with the Guards.

The ERU may also do hostage rescue but I think the distinction is in the type of situation. Typically (and internationally) if it's along the lines of criminal holed up somewhere then it's a matter for the police forces, if it's a terrorist or exceptional situation e.g. explosives involved, then typically it will be handled by the military. This reflects the focus of both types of units, police units are typically used where you are hoping to have a non-lethal outcome, deploying military units is basically taking the gloves off, and people WILL be killed. For example I think it's the French who, when they breach a plane, presume anybody standing to be a terrorist and is shot without hesitation.

Whatever people think of Abbeylara and how it was handled (and I have my own opinions) it was a civil matter, can you imagine if he had been shot by a sniper from an army SF team??!!! The press would have had a field-day. Horses for courses!!

I would issue one word of caution, all this cross-pollution of roles and inter-agency rivalry is exactly what contributed to 9/11...play nice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Duffers wrote: »
    Hey folks, I was just browsing the forum and came across this.
    Marines service numbers either begin with 300 or PO in the case of the older numbers.

Answer these, ex bootie

Which side is the 25 metre range at 42 as you go through the camp gate, left or right?

As you enter the main gate of CTC, is Dutchy's to the left of the guard room or the right?

What is the most gopping thing of all the menus in a ration pack?

Who would you most likely hear the phrase 'Tup, three' from?

Is Arbers a hoofin run ashore?

Hey Duffers, welcome to the forum. Methinks you know a bit more about the corps than exbootie. Sadly the forum has been discovered by the clan mcwalter and we are presently under siege, however normal service should be resumed shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

[QUOTE=metman;57270153 Sadly the forum has been discovered by the clan mcwalter and we are presently under siege, however normal service should be resumed shortly.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Its an emergency services forum. How the f*^k have we ended up talking about the Royal Marines and the SAS etc.!!!

Sorry have to hurry off. I'm in the middle of training for ARW selection. Oh sh*t . Did i just say that?. Oh noooooooooo!!. I'm infected with the dreaded notifiable disease known as Walter Mittyitus. Any doctors around here know a cure? Actually i think i'm a brain surgeon aswell so i'll just cure muself:rolleyes:

Please, please, please get rid of these spanners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Amen to that. Its an emergency services forum. How the f*^k have we ended up talking about the Royal Marines and the SAS etc.!!!

Perhaps an approach of 'if you want to talk about the military, take it to the military forum', ignore the advice and get reprimanded, as well as tightening up on off-topic postings?

As for waltering, if the mods were amenable, members can flag up the post as a possible instance of waltering, to be then examined by a mod and suitable action taken?

It'd be nice to be able to rely on people to behave like adults but this forum, like so many others that cover such topics, will attract fantasists and as already mentioned is now becoming a victim of its own success.

Ultimately I am feeling less inclined to visit this site as its becoming like the school playground, i.e my dad is bigger than your dad, rangers better than seals, MP7 better than M16, transformers better than star wars.....:rolleyes: get a life! If it carries on like this, well suffice to say I've better things to do than spend my time reading about the fictional experiences of 17 year olds who've done it all already. Its embarrassing and if not addressed will do this forum damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm agreeing here guys, it's just taking a while to come up with a feasible way of doing things in accordance with forum rules. In the meantime, a narrower definition of what's off topic than before will be applied.

Im going to close this thread too, it appears to have run its course, and is currently about the only place the special forces foolishness resides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement