Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridiculous Workplace Rules, Policies, Requests, PC, Initiatives, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Millicent wrote: »
    So, your friend has a hangover on a workday, takes more than the prescribed dose of OTC medicine, and has two boxes of a highly addictive, tightly controlled and usually prescription-only codeine painkiller on her desk? I wonder why her boss might have thought she had difficulty with substance abuse problems. :eek:

Actually thats a misconception, its available over the counter as well as on prescription. They are very popular for hangovers, which is why there was a backlash against them. I took them for years as they were a lesser evil than prescribed morphine. There seems to have been a sudden witch hunt of people taking solpadene and now anyone without a prescription is treated like a heroin addict when they ask for it. Interesting to see that the packaging of Panadol Extra soluable was made to look very like Solpadene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I was told that too, so I started screwing half the staff

They were all men in my place. Don't think that idea would have worked out so well for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Really? isn't 23 degrees fairly warm!

Made no difference, we had to stick to the mandated temperature, it nearly killed me. The thing was of course that those who had been there for long enough got used to it and would have died of exposure if the thermostat had been turned down a couple of degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Have had many jobs with ridiculous rules but the best (worst) insisted that all office space be kept at 23 degrees as it was 'the optimal temperature for productivity and wellness', we weren't allowed to use the word 'manager' instead we had 'team leaders, section co-ordinators, strategic leadership, etc.' and all personal food and drink had to be signed in at the reception desk on arrival

Yes it is very warm. It should be in theory i think be 16 degrees for a factory floor and 21 degrees for an office where people are sitting down. Please correct me on temp. If I am wrong but 23 is way to high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Biggins wrote: »
    Aye, had to get some for the wife a few days ago.
    Was given the third degree like I was trying to buy heroine! :eek:
    I know you and others have this problem but I have to wonder why. I've been asked one question, once.
    Have you tried anything else? Yesh. Ok, there's your 24 pack.
    Literally, just once.
    I guess it's 50/50 whether I look unlikely to be an addict or else I look like I'll go over the counter at them if they don't hand it over... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Actually thats a misconception, its available over the counter as well as on prescription.

What bit's a misconception? (I honestly can't see it--not trying to be rude to you!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Just buy online or from a country that doesn't have this bullsh1t. Make sure its a lad you can trust though, not someone who will sell you chalk or poison

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jujibee wrote: »
    One of my first jobs we were only allowed to go to the toilets at 10:15 or 3:15 and we weren't allowed to talk to each other except during lunch which was from 12 - 12:45.

At the end of the day we had to turn off our computers at 4:50 and count the orders we had entered and give the manager a hand written note with our count. We then had to sit silently at our desks until 5.

I quit after 3 weeks.

Did you need the money that badly you stayed 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

They were all men in my place. Don't think that idea would have worked out so well for me..

Where do you work? I've my CVs printed up and ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I know you and others have this problem but I have to wonder why. I've been asked one question, once.
    Have you tried anything else? Yesh. Ok, there's your 24 pack.
    Literally, just once.
    I guess it's 50/50 whether I look unlikely to be an addict or else I look like I'll go over the counter at them if they don't hand it over... :confused:

No, it totally depends on the chemist. The odd one will just give you the codeine stuff without saying a word, more of them ask them if you have tried paracetemol or whatever already and then give it to you, and a few will give you the absolute third degree and still refuse to hand it over. It's at the pharmacist's discretion.

I buy a pack of lovely codeine based Feminax pain killers a month for my lady needs, I am practically an expert at getting the tone right at this stage. Squeeze out a few tears if you can, that's my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I got a load of **** from loser boss for not wearing enough badges.

If he wanted 37 pieces of flair why didn't he just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

if you are living in Ireland then yes, having AC set to 23 here is actually too cold for me to sleep, normally have it at 24 or 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

My Boss is a feckin schizo. No I'm not. Yes I am. I am not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Who give a **** about where you can get your hangover medicine from? Man up and take the hangover.

Back on topic. In my last job if you wanted to speak with some while you were 'on the clock' you had to ask your manager for permission and then ask their manager for permission before you could speak with them. Yet they had no policy on body or feet odour - weird

My boss from a previous job used to 'award' members of his team with gold stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

cashback wrote: »
    My manager told me once that she didn't hear enough of a 'smile in my voice', when talking to customers on the phone.

That is something like Buddy the Elf would say. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

cashback wrote: »
    My manager told me once that she didn't hear enough of a 'smile in my voice', when talking to customers on the phone.

By the time i'd be finished with her i'd make sure she was smiling :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Biggins wrote: »
    Aye, had to get some for the wife a few days ago.
    Was given the third degree like I was trying to buy heroine! :eek:

maybe your wife is a heroine

When I worked in England we got an email from HR saying string vests were not appropriate office attire.

1,200 people on site but we all knew who they were talking about - 1,199 of us didn't object.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Company laying off vital staff, but keep the incompetent directors son
    • Sales people ringing guys that has agreed and signed off on a price, telling them they shouldn't be paying that much, and offering the products cheaper.
    • No star on the christmas tree, it might offend someone.
    • Head of sustanability gets a brand new suv every 2 years (not a company car, private) and goes on 3 international holidays a year. But gives out to you if you put a paper cup in the wrong bin.
    • Redoing the layout of a warehouse, idiot (directors son) doesn't want to plan it, just "get stuck in". 5 lads spend a week of hard graft doing it, has to be completely redone because idiot boy didn't plan it out.
    • Team Leaders spending tens of thousands on "vital" office equipment that no one needs while people in the same office are being let go.
    Me too, but I work on a farm :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Cienciano wrote: »
    • Company laying off vital staff, but keep the incompetent directors son
    • Sales people ringing guys that has agreed and signed off on a price, telling them they shouldn't be paying that much, and offering the products cheaper.
    • No star on the christmas tree, it might offend someone.
    • Head of sustanability gets a brand new suv every 2 years (not a company car, private) and goes on 3 international holidays a year. But gives out to you if you put a paper cup in the wrong bin.
    • Redoing the layout of a warehouse, idiot (directors son) doesn't want to plan it, just "get stuck in". 5 lads spend a week of hard graft doing it, has to be completely redone because idiot boy didn't plan it out.
    • Team Leaders spending tens of thousands on "vital" office equipment that no one needs while people in the same office are being let go.
    Me too, but I work on a farm :(

I'd say go for it sure you only live once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Us plebs have just received a blanket email from corporate executive presidential level that the "hard hat colour code", i.e. white hats for management; red hats for first-aiders; yellow hats for visitors; grey hats for us minnions, etc., etc., is to be vigorously enforced. "Good thing", I say. I'm fed up stepping over dead and injured bodies with the wrong colour hard hat. "Serves you right, you hard-hat-rule-breaking rebels! No first aid for you until you change your hat." Our (entirely admin) office will be a safer place with this hard hat system and I recommend it to all boardies.
    You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

My GF used to work for a company that had a lot of ridiculous safety rules. They brought in a rule that if you got anything from the canteen (even a cup of coffee) you had to use a tray to bring it to your desk. You could also get in trouble for walking down the stairs if you didn't hold the hand rail.

I used to work for a company that if it was your birthday (or any celebration) you would bring in a bottle of booze (whiskey, vodka, etc), then sometime during the day the department would all sit around and drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Ludo wrote: »
    We got an email instructing everyone to sit down when using the toilet at all times. they even went so far as to put little diagrams up in the cubicles showing a person taaking a leak standing up with a big red X over it :confused:

Toilet in our place has this sign up.

If you clean the toilet seat after yourself, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

I love this, I am so putting this up in work tomorrow, I share a bathroom with 8 men and im the only lady :( bad times

When i was 20 i got dreadlocks , i worked in a call centre for a package company. I got dread locks, i was then subjected to 3 meetings. I was told that i could not have dreadlocks because i was a guy and i was white. The fact they said this was because there was a Nigerian girl in the same team with dreadlocks.
    They hired another guy and then demanded he cut his long hair once in the company. He said he was not going to do that. From my understanding those rules still stand today.

ups i nearly forgot

I was also given warnings for not shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Tell me where. I don't want to give them any business.

It was a company in the US that manufactured plumbing and building supplies, they have gone out of business last I heard :D
    Did you need the money that badly you stayed 3 weeks

I did, I had just graduated and was saving money to move out and get away from my mother. If you knew my mother at the time, you would know how hard of a decision quitting was :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Shryke wrote: »
    Having to wear black slacks as and black shoes was one. I won't go into detail but completely unnecessary.

I swear to God this is true, slashing everyone's hours with the idea that putting people on the bread line would encourage harder work.

Was asked to sign a dodgy backdated contract.

Not being given payslips for weeks and then being given them all at once. The excuse was that they hadn't come down from head office yet.

Reducing staff and hours while expecting twice the workload to be completed. Vague threats of getting other people to do the job if you can't. Being called up to the office and given out to for this type of stuff.

Some people being sent on the same training course more than once while others not at all. If you weren't sent on the course you were probably going to be let go once your contract was up.

Staff were given warnings if they didn't perform well in the mystery shopper. Anyone familiar with retail will know what this is.

Management were encouraged to stab each other in the back to get ahead. The place bred incompetence.

Bringing people in for 4 hour shifts (part of the hour cutting) and expecting miracles.

No training given to new staff or new management. Just told to go to work.

Giving out to night pack staff for not doing enough even though everyone was flat out all night trying to get everything absolutely perfect.

^All the same place. I no longer work there. I have never encountered such incompetence, ignorance and malicious intent before or since.
    It's worth pointing out the insane pressure that management would inflict on regular employees. You would think it was Wall Street with millions on the line. Just awful treatment of everyone. It would have been an alright place if not for that.

Probably saved pennys while working there though did you? ;-)

Similar situation, worked in retail they employed alot of "mature" women on p/t contracts, who (most of )after a few weeks proved to be so incompetent that the full timers and student p/t workers were absolutely smashed with work carrying the load. Leading only to managers giving the students a hard time to get things done. Not one of the olders crowd were giving warnings or let go. Jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

The McDonald's my friend works in brought in a rule last week saying you have to cover up tattoos on your arms.

They don't do long sleeved tops so it basically means you have to wear another top underneath the one you're wearing.

I can only imagine the heat next to all the cookers! I'd go mad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Working in Lidl years ago before they cleaned up their act:

Half hour break on a 12 hour shift which you never got the full break for because you'd be called out on the floor mid-way through eating. If you worked 6 hours you weren't allowed a break. If you made a complaint it was easy to boot you and have someone fill your job within 2 days. Litteraly, I worked 2 years in one store and saw about 20 people fired for the most simplistic things only to be replaced almost immediately.

Was told to sort out the rotten fruit and veg, the milk and all of the rubbish gathered up in the warehouse by manager. Didn't mind that until said manager comes in and complains about the state of my shoes after I'm knee deep in rotted rubbish.

If you were ever under on your till, even by €5, it was coming out of your pay. One person was fired for being €30 under.

You had to scan as close to 35 items per minute everyday, if you didn't you got called up in front of the district manager about why you were so slow. It was impossible to keep up as you could only go as fast as the customer would pack their bag. If you ever go into Aldi or Lidl and wonder why the cashier is throwing your stuff at you at a fast pace after they've scanned it and not giving you the chance to put it in your bag, that's the reason.

I was told off by the manager for talking to customers when they'd ask me a question. The rule was you were not allowed to talk about the products, just point them to where they are and get back to work.

There was a stupid rule of having the palettes (toilet paper, lemonade, etc) absolutely perfect against the line of the tiles. The Germans used to come on random inspections and see a palette would be out of place, resulting in someone getting a telling off in the office. Fùckin' problem was that the tiles were laid down crookedly and the palettes were badly built forcing you to lean them up against each other so they wouldn't fall and smash. One of the Germans would actually go around the store with a ruler to see that products were exactly lined up on the shelves.

You also had to unload a full palette in under 15 minutes, a palette that would have various items leaving you to haul the thing across opposite sides of the store.

You weren't allowed more than 1 toilet break a day. If you wanted a 2nd you had better explain yourself ("Um..........I need a shìt!?!" :confused:)

We were refused a kettle after the crappy replacement they gave us burnt out after 2 weeks. Exact same thing happened with the microwave after it's replacement never even worked when we got it. We complained all we liked but nothing would happen for a few months. (During which one of the managers bought a kettle and microwave out of his own money for us.)

The store had to be immaculately clean at the end of everyday, which is fine. Only that on the days you'd have to bring the specials out on a Sunday or Wednesday night you frequently would be in there until midnight due to a manager scratching their heads on where everything should go, no extra pay as you stopped being paid at 9pm. Again, if you complained then somebody else on the floor staff would get fired.

Manager's didn't last in there by getting fired on a whim and making staff stab each other in the back at the promise of promotions. One manager was fired for not showing up to a surprise meeting on her day off while another was fired for kicking a football in the warehouse after another manager ratted him out by calling the district manager down to watch the CCTV.

All lights were controlled by sensors, you'd be sitting in the tiny kitchen eating your lunch when after exactly 5 minutes the lights would turn off leaving you to wave your arms manically to activate the sensors again. Annoying as hell having to do that 3 or 4 times everyday on your break.

It was like a fùckin' camp, nobody trusted each other as everybody would rat each other out for the tiniest thing since there were promises of rewards for doing so, created alot of tension in the workplace. I only kept it up as it put me through college but once my final exams were due I just got the hell out of there.

I hear they've come a long way since I quit, which was around the time all these claims about abuse were making it into the news.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have a meeting today to discuss, the following: -

What is working? Nothing. Communication is non-existant. i appear to be doing the work of 5 people and still have time to post on boards
    What is not working? Everyone except me and one other person
    What would you change? Sack everyone that management is afraid of, and therefore dont get asked to do anything. Sack all the managers as they are incompetant and scared to leave their offices
    Caseload Breakdown 2 of us have a huge caseload and everyone has a very small caseload due the above
    What needs to be retained Me

Advertisement