Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should an English pub be opened in Dublin?

• 03-05-2012 9:43am
    Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

There's Irish pubs in every major, and alot of non major English cities and towns but not vice versa. I'm talking ROI here. Alot of english come here just to get locked. I wouldn't have a problem with one, you might even get a pint of John Smith's but I think they would be intimidated and forced out by local gurriers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

NO

Go away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

They should open one at Beal na Blath...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Of course they should be allowed.

We need more ale on tap in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Define and English pub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Only if we can adorn it with Union Jacks, have bull dogs guarding the door and rangers jerseyes inside on the walls............................just to really piss of the small minded Celtic wannabe nationalist brigade. That is the only reason one should open an English bar in Dublin.................................and hot pot!!

I know not all celtic fans are like that but the majority I have met sure are!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There's Irish pubs in every major, and alot of non major English cities and towns but not vice versa. I'm talking ROI here. Alot of english come here just to get locked. I wouldn't have a problem with one, you might even get a pint of John Smith's but I think they would be intimidated and forced out by local gurriers.

John Smith's is the Devils piss, why on earth would we want that manky stuff served over here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

An English pub is just a shit attempt at an Irish pub. No question about that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Well most of the British pubs I have come across are soulless dumps lacking any character, or a chain of super-pubs, so I think we are ok how we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

frag420 wrote: »
    Only if we can adorn it with Union Jacks, have bull dogs guarding the door and rangers jerseyes inside on the walls............................just to really piss of the small minded Celtic wannabe nationalist brigade. That is the only reason one should open an English bar in Dublin.................................and hot pot!!

I know not all celtic fans are like that but the majority I have met sure are!!

Why would an English bar have a Scottish team's jerseys on its walls?

My experience of English bars is warm beer. We can do without that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

We need more ales served in Irish pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Fart wrote: »
    Of course they should be allowed.

We need more ale on tap in Ireland.
    Exactly, but the knackers love their Bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Exactly, but the knackers love their Bud.

Unfortunately. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What, like a Whetherspoons? English pubs are pretty crap to be honest - it's why there's so many Irish pubs there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Only on the condition that they sell Pork Scratchings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Of course they should.

Particularly if they charge UK prices. Wetherspoons pubs over there are superb, and I love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

FoxT wrote: »
    They should open one at Beal na Blath...

Surely the site of an Anglo-Irish skirmish would be more controversial instead of the site of an Irish Civil War skirmish?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

There are some pubs that I love in Dublin. But here in merry England I have to say the range of old and new pubs, cheap pubs, fancy gastro ones etc is just amazing. Also the range of beers on tap is fantastic. The opening hours are much better too. Altogether a much better drinking experience, we should take on board some of their practices in Ireland for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Of course they should.

Particularly if they charge UK prices. Wetherspoons pubs over there are superb, and I love them.

They are terrible!
    They all are the same...I would hate for them to be in Ireland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A lot of what we think of as being classic Dublin pubs are in a British style anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I have no arguments with people opening english pubs here as long as they're free houses. Most Irish pubs are basically just Diageo franchises. The alcohol equivalent of akebrakebabra.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

They are terrible!

But no one would force you to go in to them.

They are terrible!

Wetherspoons are depressing, the only people who go to them where I live are old people and rough looking down and outs. No music or sport either and horrible carpets, eugh makes me shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

No.

For the simple reasons of crap old carpets, crap wooden, outdated furniture and sh!tty paintings on the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No music or sport either .

My ideal pub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Bambi wrote: »
    I have no arguments with people opening english pubs here as long as they're free houses. Most Irish pubs are basically just Diageo franchises. The alcohol equivalent of akebrakebabra.
    Abrakebabra should open a pub!! You could get a pint with your taco chips! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

If you could have a pub here that served decent beer , ie not the chilled flavourless gassy substance on sale in 99% of Irish pubs then great

( I know there are 1 or 2 notable exceptions to that ie The Porterhouse and the Bull and Castle )

The real typical country pub as featured in programmes like Midsumer Murders are pretty few and far between now a days. ( although perhaps too many dead bodies turn up in that one :) )

Most pubs in the urban sprawls such as London are places like Wetherspoons and as some other posters have pointed out pretty soulless . This is because they are managed pubs rather than owned , so the staff can change often and don;t really care it's like a branch of a supermarket. However the price is often very good.

On reflection , the answer to the OP is no , however I think it would have done the market some good to break the cartel the LVA has , so perhaps a couple of Wetherspoons charging 2.50 a pint , or a pint and a meal for a fiver would shake them a bit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

frag420 wrote: »

whats more likely to happen is it will be packed to the rafters with lads on a saturday and sunday watching some premier league game shouting about how great "we" are and how "we" are going to win the league...........

oh and putting on english accents cheering, CITSAY!! and U -NOITE -TSED!!!

no thanks..

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Abrakebabra should open a pub!! You could get a pint with your taco chips! :D

Abrakebabra should be showered with pepper spray. It would improve the smell of the kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i dont really see what difference opening an english pub would be than the countless british stores that we have here already???

• Advertisement

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Most pubs in the urban sprawls such as London are places like Wetherspoons and as some other posters have pointed out pretty soulless

You couldn't be more incorrect about London

Advertisement