Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gamma GT query

• 18-06-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Am just curious about this and I don't think it falls under the category of medical advice despite it being about myself.

I'm just curious as to the actual mechanism and cause here. My GGT is high (90-113 U/L over the past year) and the reason for this is medication rather than alcohol (I barely manage 1 drink a month over the past year). I'm on 1600mg Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine), 400mg Seroquel (Quetiapine) and 25mg Anafranil (Clomipramine) and 4g of L-typtophan a day at the moment. I'm told it's most likely the Oxcarbazepine that is causing this and I'm curious as to what exactly underlies this change. Is Oxcarbazepine a heptatoxic drug or is there something else going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

i don't think you're looking for medical advice - you are looking for information why liver enzymes are raised with certain drugs.

I will need to do a bit of research first though to give a clear response - any pharmacologists out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Is it not just enzyme induction? GGT is an enzyme. but i don't do science anymore :P

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

Did a small bit of research on this, more to learn something about the medications and enzyme induction/ liver damage than to try and give you a definitive answer (I'm certainly not qualified to do so), here's what I came up with:

1600mg Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine)
    Appendix 2 (Liver Disease) BNF “Manufacturer advises caution in severe hepatic impairment – no information given.”

400mg Seroquel (Quetiapine)
    Nothing about liver damage or enzyme induction in BNF

25mg Anafranil (Clomipramine)
    BNF side effects : “abnormal liver function tests (jaundice)”

4g L-typtophan
    Not in the BNF couldn't really find anything relevant on this.

Other things (besides certain drugs, alcohol and liver disease) which can cause raised GGT:
    Smoking.
    Increases with age in women.
    GGT is about twice as high in persons of African ancestry in comparison to those of European ancestry.

You might find this interesting as well:
    http://nelh2004.sequence.co.uk/index.cfm?question=1374

Advertisement