Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goodbye MH - hello caravan

• 11-07-2012 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm now oficially a caravan owner. We have sold the Motorhome to the in-laws (who had half owned it anyhow).
    The caravan has more space and it's way cheaper - but I think once we have our family reared we may go back to a MH.
    I'll still keep in touch on this board, but I'm now a "tugger" (Oh err Matron).
    I still think a caravan forum would be good - but do we have enough interest ??

Anyhow - a very large thanks to all for the help and advice over the last 4 years while we had a MH!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

good luck with your new caravan.

+1 for a caravan / mobile home forum , I have asked the mods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

shooter57 wrote: »
    good luck with your new caravan.

+1 for a caravan / mobile home forum , I have asked the mods :)

We made the change last year... It's a different discipline ( unpack once, then travel around , returning to the tin tent for rest and refreshments , rather than securing everything in the van, but being able to stop, fully equipped wherever the fancy takes you.... )
    We're having a ball!!
    +1 here for a caravan forum also,
    I'll be a mod if that helps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Go on the caravanners!!

Think its more cost effective for young families - who are less likely to want to pull in wherever. Caravan is great for holidays, set up just once for the week or fortnight, you have your car for going around touring or to the beach etc., and everything is ready once you get back 'home'.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

+ another 1 for the caravan forum.

Best of luck with your new wagon Deadl0ck! We absolutely love ours, Will be rolling her out in a weeks time! havent had her out since March!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

We're off to Killarney on the 22nd for 10 days - can't wait !

• Advertisement

Actually - I've just been looking at the replies, specifically people saying they would like a Caravan Forum. Should we have a separate thread where people that are interested in a caravan forum just register their interest ?

Do we need a certain number before boards.ie will create the forum or how does it work ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Actually - I've just been looking at the replies, specifically people saying they would like a Caravan Forum. Should we have a separate thread where people that are interested in a caravan forum just register their interest ?

Do we need a certain number before boards.ie will create the forum or how does it work ?

Read the forum guidelines and then put in a request here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Thanks Tabnabs.

I have created a request for the forum here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79689775#post79689775

I'm also going to create a new thread about it here so interested people are aware and can add their support for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I'm not in favour of a caravan forum as I think if there was it would split the contributions. Sure there is some MH stuff I'm not interested in but at the same time there is plenty that I am interested in.

How about a change of name to Motorhomes and Caravans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

could this forum not just be deemed to include caravans? change the title whatever, i had a caravan question on here myself recently and got excellent answers/replies. OK motorhomes and caravans are different but not a million miles apart, still under the camping umbrella.

• Advertisement

Perhaps this is an option, but I believe the fact that
    (a) a caravan forum does not exist
    and
    (b) there is only a MH/Campervan forum
    will deter potential people looking for caravan specific help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Congrats on the purchase.

Have added a +1 to your request thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

While I can see the merits of renaming the current forum (if thats the right word), for someone new who hasnt been following the forum all along, a specific forum for caravans would make it so much easier to see directly relevant threads.

No doubt I and most caravanners would still keep an eye on the MH section (and maybe even vice versa). So will +1 that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not convinced there's a need for a seperate forum for caravanners, but perhaps this current could be renamed? And maybe also moved out from under "Motoring" if that's not opening up another can of worms! :)

A lot of the stuff is generic really between motorhomes, caravans and even tents. For example, if there was a seperate caravan forum, would there be a seperate camping sub forum?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced there's a need for a seperate forum for caravanners, but perhaps this current could be renamed? And maybe also moved out from under "Motoring" if that's not opening up another can of worms! :)

A lot of the stuff is generic really between motorhomes, caravans and even tents. For example, if there was a seperate caravan forum, would there be a seperate camping sub forum?

That's very well covered in the Outdoor Pursuits forum already, some very knowledgeable people over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Macy0161 wrote: »

That's very well covered in the Outdoor Pursuits forum already, some very knowledgeable people over there.
    Sorry, i meant "camping locations" which is a sub forum here.

Advertisement