Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour cost of bike build

• 22-05-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Would like to know the cost of any bike builds people have had done recently. I'm currently running the numbers on a replacement road bike (hopefully buying later in the year), and I'm comparing a new build versus buying a full bike.

To clarify - I mean the labour cost of the build, assuming I've sourced the parts myself. I'm not hoping to learn how to do it myself. I value my life too much to ride something I've assembled. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I'm also curious about this. Probably not buying the parts individually, though. If I bought a bike online (Wiggle/Evans etc.) how much assembly is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Basster wrote: »
    Hi All,

Would like to know the cost of any bike builds people have had done recently. I'm currently running the numbers on a replacement road bike (hopefully buying later in the year), and I'm comparing a new build versus buying a full bike.

To clarify - I mean the labour cost of the build, assuming I've sourced the parts myself. I'm not hoping to learn how to do it myself. I value my life too much to ride something I've assembled. Thanks!

In my experience about €100 including the shop supplying cables!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you buy a bike online, little or no assembly is usually required. You normally just have to align the handlebars and attach the pedals. They probably supply instructions on what to do too.

Putting a bike together from scratch takes 1-3 hours if you're doing it properly and with care. It could be longer if any prep work is needed (e.g. cutting fork steerer tubes).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

seamus wrote: »
    Putting a bike together from scratch takes 1-3 hours if you're doing it properly and with care. It could be longer if any prep work is needed (e.g. cutting fork steerer tubes).
    I don't think I've ever built a bike from scratch in less than about four or five hours. I honestly don't know where the time goes.

I'm sure a pro does it much faster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Zero if you assemble it yourself. Most of it is handy enough.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm not hoping to learn how to do it myself. I value my life too much to ride something I've assembled.

Brian - What did I just say?! :)

Your figure of zero does sound nice however.

Brian - What did I just say?! :)

Your figure of zero does sound nice however.

Like most people I thin you may seriously over estimate how difficult assembling a bike is. It's a conspiracy by bike mechanics to drum up business.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Like most people I thin you may seriously over estimate how difficult assembling a bike is. It's a conspiracy by bike mechanics to drum up business.
    It's fairly simple if you have all the tools, can follow instructions, and have some mechanical sympathy. I don't much fancy fitting my own press-fit BBs though, which is why all my bikes have BSA threaded ones. I've also never fitted my own headset cups though it's probably not that difficult.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's fairly simple if you have all the tools, can follow instructions, and have some mechanical sympathy. I don't much fancy fitting my own press-fit BBs though, which is why all my bikes have BSA threaded ones. I've also never fitted my own headset cups though it's probably not that difficult.

Unless he buys the frame and fork seperately the headset bearings will probably be installed. Press fit BBs can be tricky alright. But that takes the labour cost down to one item.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

With two allen keys you can build about 50% of the bike. (assuming the headset is already on)

1. Stem clamped onto fork.
    2. Bars clamped into stem.
    3. Shifters clamped onto bars.
    4. Brake calipers attached to frame/fork
    5. Seatpost into frame.
    6. Saddle onto seatpost
    7. Wheels onto Frame/Fork
    8. Derailleurs onto frame.

BAM, easy. Takes about 30min.

• Advertisement

happytramp wrote: »
    With two allen keys you can build about 50% of the bike
    Yes, and you have 50% of the ingredients to make a baby on your own.

Yes, and you have 50% of the ingredients to make a baby on your own.

I couldn't come up with a worse analogy than that if I tried.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Its funny though ;)

I would not attempt to build a carbon bike without a torque wrench, BTW. Allen key can destroy things too - especially in my hands :/ And I've built all bikes I've ridden, plus a few for my wife and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I honestly don't know where the time goes.
    In my experience it's usually spent digging in some box somewhere for a tool that you bought 2 years ago and used once.

The first couple of times it takes forever because you're invariably not prepared. I also spend a lot of time standing back and thinking, "Fnck yeah, this is gonna be awesome", after attaching each component.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

With two allen keys you can build about 50% of the bike. (assuming the headset is already on)

5. Seatpost into frame.
    6. Saddle onto seatpost

Then a couple of hours getting the cables and chain on, and adjusting and re-adjusting everything to make sure the shifting is smooth. Then taping up the bars, with padding in the right places as required. Then the test ride, re-adjustment of saddle, re-indexing of the gears you got wrong.

Switched from 9sp to 10sp over the winter, with new derailleurs, levers and chain, and also replaced all the cable inners and outers. Took me about four hours to get back to a bike that was roadworthy. There seems to be a curse on my back room that demands that bars shall never be taped properly first time, no matter how much attention to detail is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Don't assume that building a bike from scratch is going to be cheaper than buying one assembled. The big bike companies can source components much cheaper than an individual buyer. The main reasons for building a bike yourself are producing something exactlyto your specifications, learning more about bikes, and the pleasure of pootling about building a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Don't assume that building a bike from scratch is going to be cheaper than buying one assembled. The big bike companies can source components much cheaper than an individual buyer. The main reasons for building a bike yourself are producing something exactlyto your specifications, learning more about bikes, and the pleasure of pootling about building a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Zero if you assemble it yourself. Most of it is handy enough.

The only factor you have omitted from this is that time=money.

Hypothetically, if you have all the bits and an internet to help you, it might take a first timer ( the op) say two weekends. It might cost €100 to get an amenable shop "a day". Giving you potentially two weeks of immediate cycling after you have acquired the parts.

The op can equate their time against the cost in a shop.

Idleater wrote: »
    The only factor you have omitted from this is that time=money.

Hypothetically, if you have all the bits and an internet to help you, it might take a first timer ( the op) say two weekends. It might cost €100 to get an amenable shop "a day". Giving you potentially two weeks of immediate cycling after you have acquired the parts.

The op can equate their time against the cost in a shop.

2 weekends is excessive. I'd say 4-5 hours at the very most to get it built, then all another hour to fine tune.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Zen0 wrote: »

I have to admit that I do enjoy mucking about with the bike, and there is a certain confidence that if something were to go wrong with it on the road, I'd have a fair chance of fixing it. That said, a skilled mechanic would doubtless do a better job, but learning how to do it yourself is certainly part of the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^ This.

It pains me to hand something over to somebody else to fix. Doing the job myself is so satisfying and so confidence building. You get to the point where, when something goes wrong, you're thinking "this'll be fun to sort out"...

I couldn't come up with a worse analogy than that if I tried.
    You could probably come up with 50% of one given 4 hours and a couple of allen keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Zen0 wrote: »
    Don't assume that building a bike from scratch is going to be cheaper than buying one assembled. The big bike companies can source components much cheaper than an individual buyer.

Fair point. Hence running the numbers at this point, could well turn out that a shop buy might be a better idea. Like the idea of something a bit different though, would be a change from previous purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I've been given two quotes recently to build from parts I supply, €120 and €130.
    In both cases the shops would build midweek during the dead time.
    Which I think is fair trade given the time it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I don't think I've ever built a bike from scratch in less than about four or five hours.

That's probably because you've got a beer in one hand:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

5. Seatpost into frame.
    6. Saddle onto seatpost

You might need the fork tube cut - or you could leave it sticking up a nice bit.
    Head bearings would probably make the fork work a bit better
    It would probably work better with cables, which takes a little while. Even more if they are internal.
    A chain would probably help too. But you'll also need a chainset fitted too for that to work.
    And the customer would probably be a little happier if the chain and cables were adjusted for smooth shifting.
    And a bit of bar tape would make it look and feel better.
    And ... And ...
    Around 100 Euros is standard for bike shops who farm out the building of good bikes. But you can probably find a BAM guy for a quickie job too.

Advertisement