Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due June 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I know, very exciting :) but still hard to imagine them being here. Can't wait though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Omg, 2 weeks. - am so jealous :) glad they're looking healthy and ready to make their arrival into the world!

I feel like my baby is on e having a rave party in my belly. He's constantly moving. Woke up at. 3.30am and didn 't get back asleep until almost 6. Meeting a friend for lunch and then having people over for dinner so probably won't be able to have a nap. Boo :(

How is everyone else sleeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Sleep, what that?! I think all I am doing is napping. Which is such a pain in the ass as we seem to have the boss man back sleeping after his eczema flare up. But for some reason last night I was unable to sleep properly. I have taken to the odd nap in the afternoon though and I am not sure if its counter productive at this stage, (though I love afternoon napping!). Today I won't have one - its ironing day and will see how I go tonight.

I could use a good sleep tonight as we have a full day tomorrow - dropping the kids to my mam for the night so we can have dinner for our wedding anniversary (3rd). We may not even go out but just being able to be a couple for a few hours sounds like heaven.

Got a few movements and its actually sore - not sure whats going on but I have actually made a bit of noise giving himself a heart attack! :) I've noticed he's getting a bit jumpier the last while! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

I think it's due to babies getting stronger and able to kick out harder/further. Sometimes the baby moves and I can feel it EVERYWHERE in there, it feels like a washing machine....

Other times it just likes to kick my ribs or pelvic bones. Ouch! It also seems to have a sense of gravity- if I lie on my side, it will kick the side lying on the bed. Repeatedly. Not good for getting to sleep! Does yours do this?

Not that I've noticed, but I like the idea of a washing machine - thats exactly what it feels like. I think boss is trying to turn around, I have never had painful kicks before and last last time I felt like I was being tenderized!

• Advertisement

I think it might be turning/dropping now- my ribs seem a little less sore than usual, I seem to be less breathless- on the negative side my pelvis (just to the right of my coccyx) is acting up a lot last night/today. Signs? Also husband commented that bump looks a bit different, can't really tell myself....

Here's a video of a 30 week old preemie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A3E9tQ8Ha0

and a picture of one!

newborn30weeks11.jpg

Hard to imagine that this is inside us now...the photo looks like a well developed 30 week old, doesn't it? In fairness it does mention that it's 11 days old (born at 30 weeks), so really more like 32.

This one is 10 weeks premature...

savannah2.jpg

A lot of wires there...and it would probably be in an incubator for about a week, but after that it would be fine. My nephew was born at 32 weeks, was in an incubator, but now is 16 and 6'4''.....

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

i mostly get my pain there paperclipgrad, i find a hot water bottle helps.
    your pics of yer bumps are lovely and neat. i feel like a blob compared to ye!

baby is going like the clappers at the min, poking me mostly at night. my sleep patterns arent great i must wake at least 6 times a night. I guess its practice for the new arrival.

i decided on the name daisy if its a girl. its my fav girls name but it was also my nans name.

Daisy is an adorable name. :)
    I also rather like the name Heather- it's my mother in law's name. Flower names are so pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I love the name Daisy :) it was on my list before we knew we were having boys.

I'm getting sleep but it's very broken. Lots of trips to the loo and then sometimes it takes forever to get back to sleep. Had restless legs again last night. v annoying. I don't like naps so try to manage with whatever sleep I get at night. It's good prep anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

How many weeks are you now KK? Hope baby has turned. Mine is def head down and I can really feel it, definite pressure down there and peeing loads. Do you feel like that at all?

Im 34+1, I don't really get that pressure feeling, except for an hour or so here and there over the past couple of weeks (so think there's moving around anyway!) I'm feeling mostly rolls/whole moves from side to side, the kicks/thumps are mostly up the top though, which doesn't make sense with the breech/high up theory. I sometimes feel a hard roundy lump under my ribs which could be a head or bum I guess. And under my ribs is always boiling hot/sore!

Here's my bump pic at 34 weeks. Think it's more in the middle than high or low?

Sunshiner, Daisy is lovely!

Love the name Daisy - so pretty :) You can just imagine a Daisy being a really nice person! I love flower names too.

and a washing machine is a great description of the mania of the baby's movements. It's getting slightly painful now and uncomfortable at other times. I'm trying not to moan too much because I'm grateful the baby seems healthy and active. My husband says the baby is going to be like me because I'm the feisty outgoing one and he's a bit more quiet. Apparently I was a destructive and active child :P

Aknitter - I love afternoon naps too. I'm a big napper! I'm hoping that will help me when the baby is here. I can fall asleep in the afternoon really easily. I have friends who physically can't nap so I feel lucky. I don't think I'll get a sleep today though. It's already 3.30 and people are coming over at 6.30.

Did anyone hear the statement Galway hospital made on the death of Savita Halappanavar? The whole thing is just really sad. It sounds like the care she got just really wasn't up to scratch. Hits home so much more when you're pregnant yourself and you know how much you rely on the care the hospital gives you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi Ladies,
    How are we all?
    I am getting beaten by my little baba from the inside!!!! It is actually uncomfortable at the minute. My whole belly is rolling and suddering with the movement. Must be havin a party in there. Wish I could make out what I'm feeling with all these lumps and bumps sicking out every now and then.

Murdy I've been following Savita's case. So so sad. Her poor husband.

Has anybody else been suffering with really dry skin especially on their arms and hands? My skin is just flakin off its so dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

No I can't say I hav had dry skin but I am really nausous this week and drinking so much water it might of helped. My bump hasn't got itchy yet either

Really slept crap last night and I was so tired so nausous and then got
    A bad hip cramp!

OH is starting get nervous now think reality of
    Life change is hitting him. He will be great but it has Been just is for ten years and we always had great holidays nights out so will be different having our addition take us over!

Hope everyone well. Glad it's
    Saturday and no work!

I've been following Savita's case also, it's pretty shameful on both counts, the standard of care she got and the fact the law had the doctor's hands tied to prevent them helping her properly in a timely fashion. I read somewhere a commentary that said that Savita, although a medical professional herself seemed to have little or no input into her own care, and in this way was treated as if she were incapable, i.e a child or person suffering from severe mental impairment. This was one thing I was really worried about before being pregnant, that I wouldn't be listened to or treated with respect by the medics. I think Praveen is a bit of a hero to be honest, he didn't put up and shut up like I'm sure many people wanted to, and he's now highlighted what happened to the world and perhaps now things might change. It is terribly sad and tragic to think a young woman had to die for this to happen.

Double B, I've been very lucky with my skin, no itching or dry skin at all. I've been taking the Omega 3 so maybe that helped. My baby is also a bit of a regular mover, it seems like she must be rolling over some organs underneath but sometimes it can be really painful and uncomfortable!

Lynda I know what you mean, it is a bit of a head f**k after so long to have a new addition!

In fairness (coming from a medical family, 3 brothers are doctors and I did pharmacy), savita's case was extremely unusual. The attending said he'd only seen a handful of such in 40 years of work. It wasn't immediately obvious what was wrong- by the time they were aware what was happening, the baby had already passed away and Savita was septic. You can't just go straight in and abort if you don't know what's happening first.

Many people going in for traumatic treatment are highly emotional and find it difficult to process what's going on in a rational way. That's why they don't let doctors treat their own family- they're too emotionally involved in order to be able to judge the situation fairly.

Considering the huge burden that doctors are under these days (my brother often works 80/90 hours a week on a pay nowhere near that of a consultant's-he can't afford to buy a house and he has two children, he is often exhausted to the point of sleeping all weekend.), the fact that the lab didn't get back with results as soon as possible etc.....I'm a bit more sympathetic to the people treating her than most people seem to be.

Obviously, this should never happen and it's incredibly sad, but I don't think it's SOLELY because of Ireland's abortion laws. Savita would likely have died anyway.

Anyway....just my 2c.

I know what you mean Lynda! It's been just us for 7 years so a baby will be a big change. We treat our cat like a baby though so that's been good practice! He can be a big responsibility sometimes. :)

I really admire Savita's husband too, he was vindicated after it all. That part of pregnancy scares me too, that the hospital won't listen to you or you won't know what's going on. Holles st have been good so far but I have been advised that the midwives are really busy so you need to be outspoken if you think you need assistance. The whole thing has made my hubby very nervous, he's used to living somewhere where things are a bit more liberal so I have to keep reassuring him we 're passed that stage and I'll be ok.

I have very dry skin on my hands too. I got a big l'occitane shea butter hand cream for Christmas and that works great. It's expensive though! They do have a mum to be range in there too, again it's the kind if stuff you get as a present so you could maybe drop some hints! I use Silcock's base (on Blueskye's recommendation) on my shins which are also really dry.

We got the Graco Mirage travel system in Argos last night! It seems sturdy and pretty well made, especially considering that it was only €99. I was looking around mothercare yesterday at the prams, boggling a bit at the prices (we're saving up for a car atm and are still paying off stuff after buying our house last year!) when I saw a mother pushing the graco mirage around. I was curious as I'd seen it in the argos catalogue but didn't think it'd be viable as it was so cheap....
    ....so I sidled up to the girl and whispered 'Nice stroller, where did you get it?'
    She looked around and whispered back 'Argos.'
    We had a bit of a chat about it, she said she found it grand for going around town as it was quite compact and light. I pushed it around a bit and decided that it was what we were looking for. It actually looked to be a bit better quality than some of the €400-500 buggies in the shop! The only exception were the wheels, which were a bit on the small side and rather plastic, but I decided that since we'd probably be upgrading to a double buggy in a few years when we have another kid, it was worth getting a cheaper first stroller and then splash out in a few years for a fancier double one.
    So now we have a buggy! :D

Considering the huge burden that doctors are under these days (my brother often works 80/90 hours a week on a pay nowhere near that of a consultant's-he can't afford to buy a house and he has two children, he is often exhausted to the point of sleeping all weekend.), the fact that the lab didn't get back with results as soon as possible etc.....I'm a bit more sympathetic to the people treating her than most people seem to be.

Anyway....just my 2c.

I completely agree with that, I don't know how the doctors and nurses are able to function at all with the workload and hours that they do. No wonder things get forgotten or miscommunications happen.

That's great you got your buggy, it was a big load off having that bit done..

when i was in the hospital at the cardic unit the doctor was telling me how they lose a member of staff every month and they aren't replaced. That with the rural hospitals closing or sections closing the increase of patients and workload is really at breaking point. I mean that's absolutely scary
    I do admire savitas husband,it must be hard be so hard with that verdict.

big changes ahead alright like you murdy we are together nearly 11years its a long time. the doggies are still my babies though,im trying to give them lots of cuddles before the baby arrives. my youngest dog is so sensitive i think he defo knows there will be a baby soon. he snuggles up at night and rests his head on my bump.

• Advertisement

Keep getting painful BH. Not incredibly sore or anything, but it hurts and it makes me feel sort of sick. Normal? Also I seem to get them more frequently since the middle of yesterday. Should I be concerned?

Keep getting painful BH. Not incredibly sore or anything, but it hurts and it makes me feel sort of sick. Normal? Also I seem to get them more frequently since the middle of yesterday. Should I be concerned?

Did they only get sore today? You read stuff that they're not painful but lots of people say they are. Maybe if you call the hospital they will be able to put your mind at ease. hope you will feel better soon and you can get some reassurance...

Not sure- it doesn't really feel like it hurts enough to warrant a call to hosp. Only about a 2-3 on the pain scale. I'll see if it develops any further. It's just strange as I've been having BH almost constantly this morning and yesterday evening. Everything else feels fine though...

ouch hope it improves paperclipgrad.
    I also bought a graco travel system, i live in the country so wasnt sure how much use id get out of an expensive travel system, so i got the graco, i actually got it 2nd hand and it was actually never used so its a win win.

ive started the eviction of mr sunshiner from the to be babies room,ive been packing up all his stuff.
    i also packed some of the hospital bag, which was daunting how much to bring.

My Brixton hicks can be a bit painful sometimes, only very slightly though, they're uncomfortable. How are they today paperclipgrad?

My ms is back unfortunately. Been very nauseated and getting sick. We think I just haven't rested enough in the last two days so taking it easy today. I feel a bit less guilty for finishing up early at work. I think the sickness would have just kept going if I'd been working full time still.

I think we all need to take it easy from here on in! Pregnancy is pretty punishing on a body (especially for those of you carrying boys, apparently the extra testosterone takes its toll on the mother's body). BH still around but not worsening, I guess it's just baby moving down or something? Bump looks a bit lower too and husband noticed it. Baby kicks seem to be RIGHT DOWN IN MY PARTS...ouch! Makes me jump...

Have you tried taking anything for it, murdy? Peppermint tea is good for nausea, as is lying on your left side and watching movies through half-shut eyes, at least for me it was...

hey ladies hope ye are all well

I was at the pregnancy fair today in cork,i got so many freebies of baby oil and creams which was handy.
    I also bought some reusuable nappies, i got some bumgenius ones. Murdy you should check out earthmother.ie for liners and inserts if you need them down the line.

I think we all need to take it easy from here on in! Pregnancy is pretty punishing on a body (especially for those of you carrying boys, apparently the extra testosterone takes its toll on the mother's body).

I did notice after my son was born I was hairier! Thought it was me and to be fair I find it hard to keep smooth! Got my eyebrows done last week and and back plucking :confused:

My bump in still up high I can still wear a tracksuit pants from my normal days comfortably enough.

We out for dinner with the hubby last night - had a ball, even stayed out till 10.30! :cool: Its a novelty for us be just a couple - we became parents so young that I am slightly envious of you guys who had years together just the you, and then again I'm not. Our second was like have a first again (eldest was 12) and your whole world is turned upside down, but it doesn't last!

aknitter wrote: »
    I did notice after my son was born I was hairier! Thought it was me and to be fair I find it hard to keep smooth! Got my eyebrows done last week and and back plucking :confused:

My bump in still up high I can still wear a tracksuit pants from my normal days comfortably enough.

We out for dinner with the hubby last night - had a ball, even stayed out till 10.30! :cool: Its a novelty for us be just a couple - we became parents so young that I am slightly envious of you guys who had years together just the you, and then again I'm not. Our second was like have a first again (eldest was 12) and your whole world is turned upside down, but it doesn't last!

If it makes you feel any better, I only met my husband 2 years ago! We got engaged and married pretty quickly (by today's standards anyway), so we didn't have those years and years of getting used to it being just us. Having said that, we did get to travel a bit and go to college etc, so this all feels like the next natural step in life, if you know what I mean? On the other hand, you'll be all finished with it way before us- we'll probably have kids still at home when he's retired!!

• Advertisement

During the bad few months all methods of relieving nausea and vomiting where tried and they all failed - even when the hospital put me on anti-nausea meds they didn't work. I like to be difficult! Spent the day doing exactly what you suggested, lying on my side watching tv with half-closed eyes and moaning! I ate dinner anyway and it stayed down, still have a feeling of nausea and that morning sickness taste in my mouth but it's better than throwing up!

Lovely that you got a night out aknitter - it must have been a big change having a baby after 12 years, like starting all over again. My husband has started getting really nervous about the baby getting here, up until now it's just been getting through the pregnancy but now that the date of arrival is getting closer he's starting thinking about how much our life is going to change and how much we have to learn. I'm a bit more relaxed but still can't believe my due date is getting closer and closer. :)

There's a due December 2013 thread now, isn't that mad? Time is going slow and fast at the same time, it's weird :)

Advertisement