Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

• 05-09-2011 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

This thread is for people who are interested in a commercial career in flying to ask a qualified commercial pilot questions about their daily lives, technical/system questions, career guidance, licencing, how best to become an airline pilot etc

Over time it will become full of good nuggets of information and serve as a good reference point for people wanting a career in the flight deck.

It is not intended for general discussion, general aviation or PPL questions, chit-chat, discussion of sensitive hr/corporate airline information or anything that could break the A&A forum charter.

Asking Questions: Please only post if you are asking or answering a question so as to keep it nice and tidy. commercial pilots are requested to include their licence type, relevant rating held and hours in their response ie ATPL(F), 738, 500. I don't expect you to divulge your airline or personal details but at least it might serve as some proof to your credentials

We'll see how it goes and sticky if its busy enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Lustrum

How far in advance do you know your roster? Do you know this week that next Monday you will fly Dublin-Heathrow-Dublin-Milan-Dublin or how does it work? Also I know that many pilots give out about missing birthdays and other occasions, but how easy is it to get someone to cover flights if there's something on that you really can't miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Lustrum wrote: »
    How far in advance do you know your roster? Do you know this week that next Monday you will fly Dublin-Heathrow-Dublin-Milan-Dublin or how does it work? Also I know that many pilots give out about missing birthdays and other occasions, but how easy is it to get someone to cover flights if there's something on that you really can't miss?

Ok 1st off my experiance and ratings..well ATPL, about 35 years or so in Aer Lingus, retired summer 2010(may be forced to make a return as there are not enough long haul commanders apperantly:rolleyes:), ratings on 737(2,3,4,5), 707, 747, Fokker 50, a330, a320 and a range of private jets. Overall over 32,000 flight hours(I actually had to go look at my logs for that...best I can make out I'd guess approx 22,000+ jet (to be honest I got to 22,000 and got sick of counting), 1000 prop and the rest is just cessna jollies to and from abbyshrule, weston etc and private adventures...and then there's sim time etc)

Ok roster question. It varies with season(and seniority;)) but usually you will have 3 weeks to a month's notice. Now I know the rosters now have got a bit tighter of late so that may be less, but I'd still imagine it to the somehwere in that region.
    Generally if you get your request for a wife's birthday or anniversary or kids etc in before the roster is done up(so a month in advance) they try and help you out, though they may not always be able to. The only incidence of people getting late changes to their roster I know of was when their wife was about to pop and they got a call...generally then you'd find someone was sound enough to cover their sectors for them.
    In my early days we used to chop and change all the time because life was more laid back then. In later years they got stricter on notice before you swapped(ie dont just show up and say your's covering..tell HR or someone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Great idea!

On short hall, how long roughly are the turn around times for an established/flag carrier airline. We all know of the target 25 mins in LCC but how long are they generally in airlines such as EI or BA for instance. Is it a case of go go go when on the ground or have you time to relax?

What do you do for lunch? Are you always on the A/C so you have to bring a packed lunch and eat it in between legs or is there any point during the day where you can leave the A/C for 30 mins and go to a crew room to relax or anything? Is it just the FO who does the pre flight inspection or do you rotate so each gets to "stretch the legs" between legs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TyroneGal

Minimum height restriction for commercial pilot? Do these still apply? I'm 157cm / 5ft 1.5" (female:-) ) They stipulate 5ft 2 / 5ft 3 for cabin crew so i'm assuming same for pilot :-S

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Great idea!

On short hall, how long roughly are the turn around times for an established/flag carrier airline. We all know of the target 25 mins in LCC but how long are they generally in airlines such as EI or BA for instance. Is it a case of go go go when on the ground or have you time to relax?

What do you do for lunch? Are you always on the A/C so you have to bring a packed lunch and eat it in between legs or is there any point during the day where you can leave the A/C for 30 mins and go to a crew room to relax or anything? Is it just the FO who does the pre flight inspection or do you rotate so each gets to "stretch the legs" between legs?

About 40 mins or so depending on delays, slots etc.

You can leave the aircraft for your walk around to stretch the legs and you get a break for a quick bite to eat between legs. Usually every 2nd leg you might eat something. But generally even inflight you can have a nibble if needs be. In my day the hostess would bring you a cuppa and bikkie, I think cos cutting means you have to bring your own...as long as it isnt sushi or raw eggs...or spanish water:D

TyroneGal -
    Minimum height restriction for commercial pilot? Do these still apply? I'm 157cm / 5ft 1.5" (female:-) ) They stipulate 5ft 2 / 5ft 3 for cabin crew so i'm assuming same for pilot :-S

Yes they do apply. It's down to cockpit ergonomics(spelling may be wrong). Basically if you're short you wont reach the overhead panel...or if you have stubby little legs you might not reach the rudder. When I applied it was 5'4 but I'm not sure about that now.

• Advertisement

XWB unless a few more pilots turn up here you may be a busy man!

With regard to the type ratings, I understand they're only valid for 1 year so are they renewed by keeping current and in-flight training or do you have to have a proficiency test every year?

Also I presume your ratings on the older 737s for example are out of date, so if you wanted to renew them for say a 737 NG would it be less work for you than for someone who was getting their first rating ie. is there a fast track method because you previously had a similar rating? Same goes for stepping up from A320 to A330?

Thanks for your time for all this and the AL stuff by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well I would help but it does say 'airline pilot'. So I'm excluded.:confused:

Walks away sadly:(

But there are a few airline pilots who visit here. They'll chip in.

Not me though, I'll just go back in my box........sigh!

xflyer wrote: »
    Well I would help but it does say 'airline pilot'. So I'm excluded.:confused:

Walks away sadly:(

But there are a few airline pilots who visit here. They'll chip in.

Not me though, I'll just go back in my box........sigh!

Of course we can make an exception for you xflyer!

Lustrum -

With regard to the type ratings, I understand they're only valid for 1 year so are they renewed by keeping current and in-flight training or do you have to have a proficiency test every year?

Also I presume your ratings on the older 737s for example are out of date, so if you wanted to renew them for say a 737 NG would it be less work for you than for someone who was getting their first rating ie. is there a fast track method because you previously had a similar rating? Same goes for stepping up from A320 to A330?

Thanks for your time for all this and the AL stuff by the way

It can depend on the airline. In Aer Lingus you do recurrent training so that doubles up a bit. You renew your IR also on a yearly basis so it is all rolled into one. As far as I know if you are off the line for over 28 days you have to hop in for a quick whizz in the sim, although I'm not 100% on what the timescale is...28 is a rough guess. I wont lie however, to a certain extent the senior pilots tend to intimidate standards into passing them and tend to get a little less "guff" of the standards examiner. There are also spot checks etc for knowledge and ability so always throw an eye over your ATPL manuals, ops books and all your TR written materials if you have a day off and are idle.
    To cut a long story short..you wont go a year without being checked for something and they tend to check it all at once then.

I am not overly familier with the systems on the 737NG, but if they are similer to the 737-500 I would take to it quicker, but I'd have to go through all the same hoops, I'd just find it a fair bit easier than a newbie.

A320 to A330 is quite easy as the systems are more or less the same and the A330 is designed to be easy to convert to from other Airbus a/c.
    Now when I did my A330 TR I was going 747 to A330, having flown 737s and the 707 before that, so it was a bit of a "culture shock" starting on the A330. But from what I was told by former A320 FOs, the A330 is more or less a bigger A320.
    I only flew about 4 sectors on the line in the A320, I was mostly long haul from '92 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pamsym

Before I write, I am not assuming that I will recieive a call for an interview for the EI cadetship but 1) I like to stay optimistic and 2) I plan on being an airline pilot with or without the cadetship and will therefore hopefully some day face an interview.

So.....if anyone has any helpful info/tips on what to expect in the pilot interview process I would be very grateful to hear. Is there any way to prepare for a group assessment? Can someone with a little flying experience expect a bit of a technical grilling in the interview (admittedly that question is cadetship specific)?

pamsym wrote: »
    Before I write, I am not assuming that I will recieive a call for an interview for the EI cadetship but 1) I like to stay optimistic and 2) I plan on being an airline pilot with or without the cadetship and will therefore hopefully some day face an interview.

So.....if anyone has any helpful info/tips on what to expect in the pilot interview process I would be very grateful to hear. Is there any way to prepare for a group assessment? Can someone with a little flying experience expect a bit of a technical grilling in the interview (admittedly that question is cadetship specific)?

For a cadetship they will not expect a speech on turbine engines, however they will expect you to have some small degree to aircraft knowledge if it is your chosen passion. They may infact ask you if you have any technical knowledge and get you to list off what you know. Perhaps "do you know anything about the aircraft we operate". You can then tell them anything..be it a technical description of the aircraft or some points on airbus's marketing strategy when they put it into service. Give whatever you have. Just dont make it seem like you learned off a load of info to throw out at them. Be sincere.

For DE interviews you MUST have a technical knowledge and will be grilled indepth on certain systems and componants of the aircraft.

You cannot prepare for the group assesment really...it's a personality based exercise and you are who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If you dont mind, i have a couple of Airplane-related questions:

You ever…seen a grown man naked?

Do you…like movies about gladiators?

Have you ever been…in a Turkish Prison?

el tel wrote: »
    If you dont mind, i have a couple of Airplane-related questions:

You ever…seen a grown man naked?

Do you…like movies about gladiators?

Have you ever been…in a Turkish Prison?

Yes

Yes

And it was more the other way round;)

.....and dont call me Shirley

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

I'm new here. Used to be a member but haven't posted in years but have been keeping an eye on aviation forum. I used to fly for BMI and now I'm with another airline. Type rated on A320 and have flown 320 the 319 and 321. Roughly 2500 hours.

In both the airlines I've worked for we got our schedule in the middle of the month and that covers all the next month. We don't have seniority so everyone gets their fair share of flying and days off 5/3/5/4.

Who does the walkaround depends on who is flying the next sector. So you on a 4 sector day you usually do 2.

We do two sims every year. 1 every six month that runs over 2 days. It's intense but I'd hate to be flying without it. One of these sims renews our IR.

Edit to ask XWB. Do Aer Lingus not provide food for their staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Something thats been bothering me for a while now.

Ya know when you're barrelling down the runway and ya reach V1 - time for take off and ya pull back on the yokibob - how does the plane know its time to fly - like why doesn't it keep going in a straight line? What does pulling back on the stick and rotating tell the plane to do?

Sorry if I am not explaining this correctly. Thanks Captain.

Edit to ask XWB. Do Aer Lingus not provide food for their staff?

They do but It's nothing special and you cant get very much. In the old days we could raid the cart when we were on the ground...they dont allow that nowadays!:D
    Gone are the days of 30 cans of coke and a box of cadbury's in the boot of the car after a trip across the atlantic! :(;)

scholar007 wrote: »
    Something thats been bothering me for a while now.

Ya know when you're barrelling down the runway and ya reach V1 - time for take off and ya pull back on the yokibob - how does the plane know its time to fly - like why doesn't it keep going in a straight line? What does pulling back on the stick and rotating tell the plane to do?

Sorry if I am not explaining this correctly. Thanks Captain.

V1 is the speed at which you are commited to flight. Vr is rotation speed. Pulling back on the stick angles the elevator up and so the aerdynamic forces cause the nose to pitch up and the wing's angle of attack increases so the lift force is greater in relation to weight and the aircraft climbs.

Would you believe...35 years and I actually had to have a think about how to explain that! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

What's involved in getting a type rating? (let's assume a B737 or A320 with no previous jet experience)
    How many hours in the sim / how many hours in the aircraft?
    What is it that you practise during the type rating?
    How much study is required?
    etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

Well once you have the cpl/ir and mcc course done it takes a few weeks ground school and a few sim sessions.

I did the ground school in 2 weeks of very intensive study and after the 2 weeks we did 2 days of exams. Then into the simulator where we had 40 hours or so.

In the sim it's all about emergencies. Engine failure on take-off before and after v1. Failures in flight. Fire, smoke, systems failures. It's only 4 hours per day in the sim but you'll be exhausted everyday. The hours before/after are spent preparing for that sim or one the next day.

Then you do base training. 6 touch and go's in an empty plane. That's good fun and not near as daunting as some people think. First day of line training happens soon after. Depends on the airline how many hours. For BMI it was 75 hours. For current airline as we were experienced it was 20. That's flying with passengers on regular routes except the captain is a trainer and keeps a big big lookout for everything you do. Ends in a linecheck where you have to prove you can fly with regular captains and deal with the things that happen every day.

Well once you have the cpl/ir and mcc course done it takes a few weeks ground school and a few sim sessions.

I did the ground school in 2 weeks of very intensive study and after the 2 weeks we did 2 days of exams. Then into the simulator where we had 40 hours or so.

In the sim it's all about emergencies. Engine failure on take-off before and after v1. Failures in flight. Fire, smoke, systems failures. It's only 4 hours per day in the sim but you'll be exhausted everyday. The hours before/after are spent preparing for that sim or one the next day.

Then you do base training. 6 touch and go's in an empty plane. That's good fun and not near as daunting as some people think. First day of line training happens soon after. Depends on the airline how many hours. For BMI it was 75 hours. For current airline as we were experienced it was 20. That's flying with passengers on regular routes except the captain is a trainer and keeps a big big lookout for everything you do. Ends in a linecheck where you have to prove you can fly with regular captains and deal with the things that happen every day.

Base training is good craic. I used to do them on the Fokker...lots of loud coughing to point out slight errors ;)

I remember Dublin was brk003 one dirty morning and I said to the guy "Hmmm looks like we may not be able to get up" he replied "Ronaldsway looks good though..." to be honest I pretty much passed him on the spot in my head!

Always show a willingness to overcome problems and get the job done! Dont shy off! :D

Just a heads up for this thread....I will launch off into stories and examples of things I've experianced so if the mods feel I'm floating off point just let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

So XWB, are you a Boeing or an Airbus man?? Having type ratings on both, what do you feel are the good and bad points of each A/C?

Alos, if you were to go back 35 years, would you do it all again??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

On a recent Ryanair flight, the cabin steward mentioned three names when referring to the pilots before the standard safety briefing. The last was introduced as 'senior captain'. Just curious as to why this might be, e.g. a training captain sitting in the jump seat? Thanks both XWB and Priority Right for taking the time to fill us in..its fascinating stuff!

alan1990 wrote: »
    So XWB, are you a Boeing or an Airbus man?? Having type ratings on both, what do you feel are the good and bad points of each A/C?

Alos, if you were to go back 35 years, would you do it all again??

I liked the boeing aircraft because they required a lot more interaction with the aircraft itself and you could "feel" it all happening. However often warnings would be displayed quite a bit after an event took place and the safety systems allowed the aircraft to get into a fair bit of bother before it would let you know. That being said I flew on older series models and these kinks may well be ironed out. However I was told that the old retard flare issues on approach had not been resolved and are occuring in the NG to this day.

I liked the Airbus because it was easy to fly and gave you a good idea of what was going on around you. However it tended to make decisions on it's own and I cannot say they were always correct courses of action. I could have seen a few being very dangerous. Often times I had to tell the autopilot to piss off and take control to right the situation. One A330 in particular liked to decent on autoland to 800 feet and then level off for no reason...we reported it but a fault was never found. It's out of service now.

Back 35 years?
    Yes of course I would. I wouldnt trade my time in Aer Lingus for anything. Even now I miss it and would go back for a few contracts if the correct terms were offered. I've been a pilot longer than I suspect many of you have been alive and it was and still is my life. I went away on holidays soon after I retired. I flew to New York as a passenger and I felt sad that I was no longer doing it everyday.

XWB wrote: »
    Back 35 years?
    Yes of course I would. I wouldnt trade my time in Aer Lingus for anything. Even now I miss it and would go back for a few contracts if the correct terms were offered. I've been a pilot longer than I suspect many of you have been alive and it was and still is my life. I went away on holidays soon after I retired. I flew to New York as a passenger and I felt sad that I was no longer doing it everyday.

and you probably got out at a great time with a great pension (probably defined benefit which is gone forever now!). pilots in the states are being paid peanuts these days. Do you see that happening over here?

glasso wrote: »
    and you probably got out at a great time with a great pension (probably defined benefit which is gone forever now!). pilots in the states are being paid peanuts these days. Do you see that happening over here?

Yes I did I suppose. We were bribed into leaving really. But I miss being airbourne.

I dont think people over here will ever swallow what Americans do. See pilots here work and are trained to a higher more intense level. FAA regulations are "loose" to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ok apologies Xflyer and any freight-dogs or commercial flyers, I didnt mean to exclude non-airline folks just wanted a level of credability in the answers. So lets say CPL or above would that be cool?

:)

There's no problem if XWB or anyone else wants to light up their pipe and tell some old flying stories, the idea is to give potential career pilots and wanabees an idea of the lifestyle and the reality of the job so the more subject matter (good or bad) the better! The only thing we don't want (for legal reasons) is any bashing of former employers or fellow staff. Keep it clean and it will become a good read for all.

Do any of you feel your personalities in the cockpit changed much over the years as you got more used to the right hand seat and then (no doubt) the left hand seat? Are there some f/o's that have sat in beside you on day 1 and you just know this guy is going to make captain, or do you feel a pilot can be made into a good captain over the years by experience picked up in the RHS?

What's the most spectacular or hardest place you've ever had to fly in to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

If you had a specially designed treadmill and managed tp get up to sufficient speed, could a plane take off from it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ragg wrote: »
    If you had a specially designed treadmill and managed tp get up to sufficient speed, could a plane take off from it?

I doubt it. Unless your treadmill had a aerodynamic body with aerofoil wings attached to provide lift. The speed of an aircraft is there to get airflow over the wing which provides the lift.....(I hope I got that right!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

What's the most dangerous situation you've found yourself in and how did you react to it?

Commercial pilot is my dream job really but unfortunately the cost is far too high for me. I'd love to get into it in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

ragg wrote: »
    Tenger wrote: »
    I doubt it. Unless your treadmill had a aerodynamic body with aerofoil wings attached to provide lift. The speed of an aircraft is there to get airflow over the wing which provides the lift.....(I hope I got that right!)

I think it was debated here before but the answer is yes, the aircraft will still take off.

It doesnt matter what the wheels do under the plane, so long as the plane could pull itself through the air it will still move. The ground can travel at mach 1 if it wishes, once the aircraft applies enough thrust to move forward it will have no impact. The drive that allows an aircraft to move forward does not go to the wheels of the aircraft unlike a car.

I heard an analogy used before. Imagine being on a treadmill with roller blades on. You are holding onto the handle of the treadmill. You pull with your hands. You still move forwards despite the treadmill moving the opposite direction. Your arms pulling you forward on the treadmill is the same as the engines providing the thrust to push it forward.

If you were travelling along at 100mph in your plane and there was a tailwind of 100mph too, then it would be interesting!

Keeping with the thread:

From a professional perspective, how impressive was Captain Sullenberger landing that plane in the Hudson? Sheer luck, aircraft capabilities, exceptional flying ability or a combination of all?

Advertisement