Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

nice session today:)
    Things seem to be going in the right direction for you.
    Now if you'd only convert to imperial....

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Ososlo wrote: »
    nice session today:)
    Things seem to be going in the right direction for you.
    Now if you'd only convert to imperial....

Jayzus

Distance | Time | Avg Pace | Climb| Avg HR
    7.68 miles | 1:13:18 | 8:57/mile | 357.612 ft |

Intervals of distance 0.932057 miles

1 | 2 | 3 | 4| 5| 6
    8:00/mile | 8:01 | 8:01 | 7:56 | 7:56 |

Totals in miles

Month | Runs | Wk | Month| Year
    Feb| 11 | 11.04 miles | 65.03 miles | 86.17 miles

I feel a sudden, urgent need to own countries thousands of miles away. :)

scriba wrote: »
    Jayzus

7.68 miles | 1:13:18 | 8:57/mile | 357.612 ft |

Intervals of distance 0.932057 miles

1 | 2 | 3 | 4| 5| 6
    8:00/mile | 8:01 | 8:01 | 7:56 | 7:56 |

Totals in miles

Feb| 11 | 11.04 miles | 65.03 miles | 86.17 miles

I feel a sudden, urgent need to own countries thousands of miles away. :)

Nice one:) You do that in your head?

Nice one:) You do that in your head?

Ha, no, I wanted the exact numbers, so I banged them into excel. But when I run, I spend a good portion of time converting km distances and paces to miles in my head, to compare where I'm at with other boardsies. So why not switch to miles? Because whenever I clock myself in miles, especially in races done by mileage, I just torment myself by mentally converting numbers back into km. One race, I found myself doing it back and forth. People think I'm physically tired after long runs, but in reality, my brain is having a stroke. :P

I've often thought about switching to imperial, but I like the higher distance numbers and lower pace numbers that come with metric too much! :D

Congrats on your return to running, btw! I recommend 16 miles incorporating 24 x 200m @ 1K race pace to test out all the moving parts.

Ha, no, I wanted the exact numbers, so I banged them into excel. But when I run, I spend a good portion of time converting km distances and paces to miles in my head, to compare where I'm at with other boardsies. So why not switch to miles? Because whenever I clock myself in miles, especially in races done by mileage, I just torment myself by mentally converting numbers back into km. One race, I found myself doing it back and forth. People think I'm physically tired after long runs, but in reality, my brain is having a stroke. :P

I've often thought about switching to imperial, but I like the higher distance numbers and lower pace numbers that come with metric too much! :D

Congrats on your return to running, btw! I recommend 16 miles incorporating 24 x 200m @ 1K race pace to test out all the moving parts.
    Funny. Maybe just concentrate on the pain for the next race and forget the numbers;) I'm really thick when it comes to numbers so maybe that's a blessing in disguise as I couldn't be doing with all that mental arithmetic:P
    Ok so I'll tackle that session first thing in the morning and maybe do a lsr in the evening as I've a lot of catching up to do:D but i'll leave at least 5 hours between sessions and that should be fine I'm sure:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I was the same Scriba. Bit the bullet and converted to miles mainly so I could speak the same language as everyone here :) spent the first few weeks like a Spanish foreign exchange student wandering around dublin. Few weeks on though and I don't miss the km at all.

Tue 25/2/2013

4.00 km | 29:xx | 7:2X | some |

Don't have exact details to hand, slow jog with my partner, who's decided to train for her first ever race, a 10K 8 weeks from now. Opportunities for running for me have been non existent since last time out, work load horrendous at the moment, so I'm hoping to get a nice long run in tomorrow, with 8k @ around 5:15/km pace in the middle. I'll then repeat the session on Saturday or Sunday, with as much easy running in between as I can muster.

Feb| 12 | 21.76 km | 108.65 km | 142.68 km

Maybe just concentrate on the pain for the next race

I'm sure I won't have to concentrate too hard. There'll be guts spilled. :o

Time's been at a premium lately, so just a quick update of last weeks runs, got two more recovery pace runs out with my partner.

Thurs 27/2/2014

5.36 km | 41:11 | 7:41 | 67|

Sat 1/3/2014

6.45 km | 48:16 | 7:29 | 79|

Sun 2/3/2014

14.5 km | 1:21:35 | 5:38 | 170|

I threw in 40 mins of race pace/effort, working out at 7.52km, with average at 5:19/km. This was tough enough, but looking back, the headwind was rough, my heart was barely in it, and a week of 5 hour sleepses may have contributed. Along with my lack of fitness, and extra carried weight! I'll head out at Ballycotton at 5:15/km pace, and try push on from halfway, depending on how I'm chugging along.

Next race already lined up, the Ballybunion HM in the middle of April. Looking forward to tackling some of those godawful HM sessions. 7 miles at HMP or bust! :)

Mar | 2| 30.31 km | 20.95 km | 168.99 km

Similar time issues this week

Fri 7/3/2014

5.02 km | 35:11 | 7:00/km | 60|

Just a brief slow jog to get my legs loosened out for Ballycotton on Sunday. It felt awful, couldn't get going. My legs were like lead after an eleven mile hike on Tuesday evening.

Sun 2/3/2014

Ballycotton 10.

That time of year already. I ran this with my brother. Driving down, I was in two minds about whether or not to track this on GPS. My confidence was suffering a little bit, not a lot of training done, I was slower and heavier than last year, and feeling generally sluggish. I knew I'd be constantly checking my time and thinking negatively about my split times, regardless of what they were, so I left it in the car, and went with my trusty stop watch, and decided to hang in with my brother as long as I could last - he was heading out at 5:15/km pace to begin with.

So off we went, I was feeling pretty good for the first four miles or so, chatting and settling into a rhythm. Because I don't have a lot of miles in my legs this year, I knew that endurance was going to be a big issue, so the longer I stayed like this, the better! But from mile 4, the pace was getting to me, and I was working too hard, so I pulled back a bit. Since I was on the stopwatch, I was clocking my splits in miles rather than km, according to the markers. I ran though the 5 mile mark at 8:30 or close to it, and the 6 mile mark at 8:42 or 3. I was working hard at this stage, and struggling with some serious demons. But I was doing okay, my form hadn't fallen apart or anything like that, I just felt really, really slow! It probably didn't help that I had fallen in between people's traditional target times, so the personnel was constantly changing around me.

Got to mile 7, stopped for about 15 seconds to take a sip of water and just relax the head, I obviously wasn't heading for a pb (which didn't help), but it was enough to give myself a stern talking to about being in the here and now, and getting the best possible result with where I am right now. So set off again, at about 9:05ish on the watch at mile 7, and got home with three comfortably sub 9 minute miles. Felt the usual mental torture during the longest home straight mile in Irish racing, and was blowing hard when I crossed the line. Couldn't have given any more yesterday, really pleased actually, it's great to have a baseline to work future training off, it's really given me some confidence back after my DNF in Cork last summer, after I dug in there, and in some ways, it was good to complete a race where my body really didn't feel like racing.

The things we do for mugs.

16.2 km | 1:26:55 | 5:22 | ?? |

+ 1.8km warmup at about 6:30/km pace

Mar | 4 | 23.02 km | 43.97 km | 192.01 km

Next race is the Ballybunion half, in 6 weeks time. Not much of a plan for it, apart from getting the long run beyond the distance, and getting a few long LT sessions in, where possible.

• Advertisement

Super stuff to dig in like that.

It's not easy coming back at it when you are comparing yourself to previous pbs at a better fitness level. Try see each race now as a new race for a new time period and see yesterday as the PB it was this time round.

Thanks PM, and well done to you! You must be feeling pretty good today! What's next for you?

I actually have a chance of a PB for my next race, so that should help me forget about constant comparisons between where I was, and where I am. My HM PB is something like 1:48:3x, which is roughly 8:15-20/mile pace. A bit of consistent LT work and some long runs should get that beaten (hopefully!). And then I'll pick another HM, but I'll follow a proper programme for that, and really target taking a chunk off (time and body ;))

Thanks PM, and well done to you! You must be feeling pretty good today! What's next for you?

I actually have a chance of a PB for my next race, so that should help me forget about constant comparisons between where I was, and where I am. My HM PB is something like 1:48:3x, which is roughly 8:15-20/mile pace. A bit of consistent LT work and some long runs should get that beaten (hopefully!). And then I'll pick another HM, but I'll follow a proper programme for that, and really target taking a chunk off (time and body ;))

Yeah absolutely - feeling very good today. Half thinking of the great Ireland 10k but it's only 4 weeks away. It's a slightly easier course and I'm tempted to have a crack at 55 min. Yesterday surprised me but I'm not sure I have enough in tank to go 2 min under that in just 4 weeks.

Nice to see you in the hunt for a PB too. Will be watching out for it. :)

Mon 17/3/2014

8.59 km | 1:08:23 | 7:58/km | 117 | 138

Nice slow run with my partner. I'm clearly mentally and physically knackered at the moment, my HR was about 20bpm above normal when I strapped on the HRM. So this was nice and slow. Beautiful day for jogging around around the countryside, we trotted all the way to the beach, and back again to our front door. Not missing city life.

Plan for the next couple of weeks is to get out for as many HR monitored easy runs as I can, within the tight time constraints I have at the moment. Any run I get in the next 2.5 weeks will be a bonus tbh, but I'll see what I can do.

Mar | 5 | 8.59 km | 52.56 km | 200.6 km

Wed 19/3/2014

5.27 km |36:42 | 6:58/km | 62 | 140

Short run with my partner. Felt good to get out and clear away mental cobwebs. Plan tomorrow is 60 mins @ 155 bpm, if I get a couple of hours to myself.

Mar | 6 | 13.86 km | 57.83 km | 205.87 km

Ha, I never piss off. I slink or slither away into the shadows.

Oi slinky ! Where the feck are you ?

Oi slinky ! Where the feck are you ?

Lol. Just saw this now! I'm base building with strictly easy runs at the moment. Will log the results, when I'm ready to target a race. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Will log the results, when I'm ready to target a race. :)

You ready yet? :)

outforarun wrote: »
    You ready yet? :)

Definitely not! I've spent the last three months getting married, not running, cycling (gasp! Strictly commuting!) and putting on a load of weight.

All the more reason to resurrect this log, exposing my shameful return to square one (yet again), and charting my umpteenth attempt at getting into decent running condition.

I was doing some of easy effort running earlier in the year, with no races or tangible goals. Ended up being a complete waste of time for me, my heart wasn't in it, I wasn't feeling fitter, happier, or more productive, and once I got busy with life stuff, running just fell by the wayside. Right now, I've hit my runner's rock bottom.

So I'm back running this week, 3 runs so far, with a 'long' run tomorrow morning to follow, 5 or 6 miles tops. Goal is to be at 30 miles a week by Christmas, with long run to have reached 10 miles. Goal race is Ballycotton 10, target time will be a PB (sub 75:53, a world away at the moment, but I need a hard target if I'm going to slog all winter). After that, it'll be half marathons or shorter for the year, I'd say. I'll look at beginning marathon training this time next year off that base.

The consistent themes in my running since CCM 13 have been lack of focus and lack of balls. Time to get both back.

Ballycotton 2015 - week 1 (Oct 27th to Nov 2nd)

I have 19 weeks to train for this race, including this week just passing. I'm going to build my base for the first 9 or 10 weeks, and then introduce some distance-specific sessions in the build up to the race. After that, I'll target a half marathon sometime in April or May.

Switching to imperial measurements for imperially measured races.

Tue 28th
    3.55 miles in 37:17 (10:30/mile)
    I hadn't run in months, so the first thing I needed to do was to figure out roughly where I was at. I hid the GPS and set off to run my short door-to-door loop at a comfortably tough pace, judging by how it felt. Splits were 10:12, 10:40 (uphill), 10:09 (downhill), 6:17 [11:26 pace, warm down uphill].

Thurs 30th
    2.31 miles in 31:39 (13:42/mile)
    Had hilariously bad DOMS from Tuesday, which ruled Wednesday out. I couldn't let another day slide. I had planned to do the same 3.55 mile loop, but my legs didn't like the sound of the inclines. So I compromised, and did laps of the back garden instead (about 1/8 of a mile per lap). This was mentally awful, but I promised myself I could bail after 30 mins of recovery running.

Sat 1st Nov
    3.57 miles in 40:02 (11:13/mile)
    Recovery run seemed to have gotten rid of most of the DOMS. Weather was awful, but I was looking forward to running, so I headed out anyway. Running in the rain brought back memories of training for CCM 13 in all sorts of weather. It gave me a little jolt of pride that I was that committed to my training, and as I ran on, I felt something of the motivation I felt back then. There must be something to these theories about the mind-body connection, because my whole frame relaxed, my legs felt lighter, and my thoughts uncluttered, against the backdrop of the rattle of raindrops and the splashing of my feet. This is why I began running in the first place, and this run was a wonderful reminder of how good my relationship with running can be.

Sun 2nd Nov
    7.01 miles in 1:17:30 (11:03/mile)
    My legs were feeling quite light after yesterday, and the sun was shining so I made the most of it. Got a brief soaking during the third mile, but this was very pleasant, easy for the most part, and my legs held up well. The plan was to run 5 miles or 60 mins, but I was feeling good, so changed it to 6.5 miles. It was sheer coincidence that the combination of local routes I took brought me door to door in 7 miles.

Training Block Details
    Week | Runs | Distance | Total Runs| Total Distance
    1/19 | 4 | 16.42 | 4 | 16.42

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

That's more like it. Welcome back.

Ballycotton 2015 - week 2 (Nov 3rd to Nov 9th)

Plan this week is 4 to 5 runs: more base building easy running, some mild tempo work midweek for LT improvement, and an 8 mile long run.

Tue 4th
    3.55 miles in 36:49 (10:22/mile)
    Bright and fresh late autumn afternoon here in North Kerry, perfect for running, especially in gloves. Threw the GPS in my pocket and just ran. After an easy opening mile, my legs sped up slightly for the uphill second, and a bit more for the downhill third, before slowing up for a warm down. While this was meant to be an easy run, looking at it now, it’s probably more like a tempo run (for me at my current conditioning), with the middle 20 minutes ran at low-end lactic effort/pace. At this early stage of the training block, and at my current fitness levels, it doesn’t really matter what it is, as long as it wasn’t too hard to prevent further training. Which it wasn’t.

Splits were 10:45, 10:24(uphill), 9:31 (downhill), 6:09 [11:09 pace, warm down uphill].

Training Block Details
    2/19 | 1 | 3.55 | 5 | 19.97

2:2 Fri 7th
    3.54 miles in 35:01 (9:54/mile)

Was up all night Wednesday finishing some assignments, and felt like death yesterday, so today was the next opportune day to get out there.

Changeable weather, so I brought my running cap, threw on some gloves and ran through some lovely sun, slashy wet drizzle, and abusive wind. This was an enjoyable run, I wanted to kick my legs a little so I went a bit quicker than I should have down the hill. Still, I had my fun, and that's all that matters.

I hope to get a short run in tomorrow morning before I head to Caaaark, and the plan is for 8+ miles on Sunday, to bring it up towards 20 miles for this week. Nice, slow, niggle-free, build up of mileage.

Splits were 10:46, 10:12(uphill), 8:14 (downhill), 5:49 [10:48 pace, warm down uphill].

Training Block Details
    2/19 | 2 | 7.09 | 6 | 23.51

Time to get this log going again. It's been a busy year and a half - with last year feeling like it was mostly spent commuting to work (3 hours total per day), while finishing my PhD and doing a cert course online. I moved back to Cork this year and now have a beautiful baby boy. When things settled down a bit, it was time to get back on the road - it's nice being able to go for runs in places with street lights and where you're not in constant dread of getting knocked down - and try correct some of the damage caused by my sedentary lifestyle over the last while! This weekend is three years since my marathon failure, and my love of running hasn't really recovered - up till now, that is! My current situation makes it incredibly easy to go for a run, so no more obstacles. :)

June goals:
    16 runs and 80 miles in June; build up habit again.
    Do a local BHAA 5k or 6k to get some hard numbers as to where I'm at.

Anyway, enough jibberjabber. This week so far...

Wed 1/6: 6.01 miles in 56:05 (9:20/mile)
    Session plan: 1 wu; 2 medium hard; 1 slow; 2 medium hard; 1 wd.
    Carrigaline - Crosshaven path by the water. This was manageable, splits were 9:21; 8:46; 8:35; 10:01; 9:28; 9:16. Miles 2 and 3 were a little too quick (was trying to run by feel), but it was okay overall.

Thurs 2/6: 4.05 miles in 41:43 (10:18/mile)
    Easy run on the Carrigaline - Crosshaven path. Everything fine, even the heat.

Fri 3/6: 3.21 miles in 33:57 (10:35/mile)
    Slow easy run around some estates, with a mile-long climb back to my house. Roasting hot, the hill definitely made going harder, but kept the effort as easy as possible.

Sat 4/6: 4.06 miles in 41:44 (10:17/mile)
    Nice easy paced run on the Carrigaline - Crosshaven path.

Month Runs | Month Distance | Year Runs | Year Distance | Weight | Loss
    4 | 17.23 | 35 | 154 | 214lbs | -14lbs

I'm doing 7 or 8 miles tomorrow to finish the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck Scriba on the road back. Similar story to me, London 2013 wrecked me, followed by virus, lost my love of running. Back at it now and going great. Enjoy the come back!

Holy necro log revival batman !!!!

3947070-g1335873246724378224.jpg

Great to see you back mate.

Thanks guys, for the welcome afforded to this prodigal plodder.

I'm going to update this max twice a week. Keep things short and sweet! :)

Sun 5/6: 7.01 miles in 1:11:26 (10:12/mile)
    LSR: 7 easy miles to Crosshaven and back. Slowly acclimatising to sunny and warm

Tue 7/6: 4.02 miles in 37:27 (9:19/mile)
    Mostly easy run on the Carrigaline - Crosshaven path. Ran the third mile in 7:22 to try instill a bit of racing confidence - I ran by feel (as hard as possible).

Wed 8/6: 4.06 miles in 40:06 (9:54/mile)
    Easy run on the Carrigaline - Crosshaven path. More glorious sunshine; I forgot my sunglasses and spent half the run picking midges out of my eye socket. Felt easy, but my legs are feeling a little heavy, so taking a rest day on Thursday.

Month Runs | Month Distance | Year Runs | Year Distance | Weight | Loss
    7 | 32.32 | 38 | 169 | 214lbs | -14lbs

Advertisement