Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Costa Conundrum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Already sold him (*cough* PARlance *cough*)
    A thought has struck me like only a thought approaching 1am can:

Go 3-5-2 and basically swap Costa for Hazard. That way Fabregas can stay intact and if either Hazard or Costa go boom it's just 2 transfers away from swapping. Berahino could be a 3rd forward and a greater asset than say Boyd etc.

I'll return to sleep now and await the many flaws in that potential plan to be pointed out :)

It has crossed my mind but I'm actually happy enough to play Boyd if Costa misses United. Home to Everton, great shooting and chance creation stats.

If Costa missing there is merit on doubling up on Hazard and Fab though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

FHFC wrote: »
    Shoulda posted this here actually. ..

The Costa plot thickens.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11181423/Diego-Costas-mystery-illness-forced-him-into-hospital-on-return-to-Chelsea-from-Spain-duty.html

This has more twists and turns than an episode of 24!!

I'm surprised the headline wasn't "Costa ruled out of United clash with Ebola!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Selling for Aguero
    This thread's a corker. :D

I intend to keep him. I've already made my transfers so getting rids is not an option, especially as I'd have to take a hit to bring him back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Selling for Aguero
    I'm holding on too. The likely 0.3 I'd lose when I get him back in is precious this season. If he misses United, next week's transfer will be getting a half-decent fifth mid for Albrighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Fatty Magoo

Selling for Aguero
    Rather see him rested and come back to blow away QPR than be risked at the weekend reckon that game will be a cagey low scoring affair anyways. Ill be keeping him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I'm surprised the headline wasn't "Costa ruled out of United clash with Ebola!".

Anyone going to take a punt on this Ebola lad?

Must be good if he's keeping Costa off the team...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Catdiesgoo is the best I can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Selling for Aguero
    Rather see him rested and come back to blow away QPR than be risked at the weekend reckon that game will be a cagey low scoring affair anyways. Ill be keeping him anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure of a "cagey low scoring affair". United have conceded 8 goals in their last four games to fairly average teams bar Everton.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Dogie Tacos

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mourinho has described his current injury plight as DiegoCosta having a .....

" Good Ciesta! "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I heard Dunphy called him "Egoist, a cod!"

"A Stoic Doge"

ddszz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Selling for Aguero
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/23/diego-costa-chelsea-manchester-united-groin-strain

Pretty much confirmed out! Hopefully that will see him go red and protect him from any more drops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Selling for Aguero
    F1ngers wrote: »
    Anyone going to take a punt on this Ebola lad?

Must be good if he's keeping Costa off the team...:P
    Dele Adebola forced to deny he’s got Ebola disease after Twitter joke gets out of hand

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/10/dele-adebola-forced-to-deny-hes-got-ebola-disease-after-twitter-joke-gets-out-of-hand-4900928/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I have ADM & Costa

So its one or the other!

Who goes and for who?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Selling for Aguero
    AdMMM wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/23/diego-costa-chelsea-manchester-united-groin-strain

Pretty much confirmed out! Hopefully that will see him go red and protect him from any more drops :)

That won't protect him at all. It'll just increase his target NTO which will make him drop slower.

But he'll be protected (for 8 days) when his flag will get removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Selling for Aguero
    I convinced myself that keeping falcao and selling Costa to get aguero was club bias on my part so I sold falcao instead.
    I've a feeling ill regret it Sunday now
    How did nobody know costa was in hospital until now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Selling for Welbeck/Lukaku/Berahino/etc.
    Costa out for Pelle done. Feels good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Costa out for Pelle done. Feels good :)

I'm thinking of the same thing. Is Kun - welbeck - pelle you forward line now?

I'm thinking of the same thing. Is Kun - welbeck - pelle you forward line now?

Yup. Not sure what I would do if I had Costa, Kun, Pelle front line though since Welbeck hasn't convinced me enough to use a transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Selling for Aguero
    What to do:confused:

Already have Aguero and Pelle, the only possible change would be Costa to Welbeck. Is it even worth making this transfer at all?

The more news i hear the more convinced i am he won't start.
    And i don't like an expensive player to sit on the bench...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

wonski wrote: »

Already have Aguero and Pelle, the only possible change would be Costa to Welbeck. Is it even worth making this transfer at all?

Looking unlikely he'll feature this weekend, but he doesnt seem to have a long term injury and will have had 3 weeks off by the time QPR rock up to the Bridge.

Not worth transferring him out if he seems quite likely to be available for that game, after which he gets a crack at the Liverpool back 4 :eek: and then there is an international break.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Selling for Aguero

I didn't see the Arsenal game last night but work with a die-hard Arsenal supporter.

After last night's game, he said Wellbeck will never be in his team, even for the Burnley game. He reckons his finishing was terrible.

As I said, this isn't my own opinion but I'd trust the opinion of this lad.

Ship him out for Lukaku(c) :pac:

Lemlin wrote: »
    I didn't see the Arsenal game last night but work with a die-hard Arsenal supporter.

After last night's game, he said Wellbeck will never be in his team, even for the Burnley game. He reckons his finishing was terrible.

As I said, this isn't my own opinion but I'd trust the opinion of this lad.

He seemed pretty knackered last night and was taken off after 75'. I still think he's quite good value at 7.3m, but I don't see him being as explosive as most people hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Going back to my Hazard alternative last night. Do we think Costa will outscore Hazard or vice versa?

With all Mourinho's bigging up of Hazard over the past few weeks and wanting him to develop more of a killer instinct and be decisive in games it seems like Hazard is very much a project for Jose which could see a continued upturn in his performances.

Also I found this quote about penalties after Hazard let Drogba take one to get him off the mark:
    I have my choices and my choice is Eden is the first choice then after that Drogba, Oscar, [Cesc] Fabregas and Diego Costa are the ones in case Eden is not on the pitch.

Yes it's the Metro but the quotes are surely accurate: http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/22/jose-mourinho-unhappy-with-eden-hazard-handing-didier-drogba-sentimental-champions-league-penalty-in-chelseas-maribor-rout-4916069/

Who knows if that's a specific order or not but Costa doesn't even seem certain as 2nd choice. There'll be doubts about Costa every 2nd week even if he is fit or not ill whereas Hazard seems a lot more certain. I still think Fabregas is a very important player and will likely to tick over fairly well every week. All 3 seems overkill though.

The problem is Hazard could get 2 point for a week or 2 and then explode where Costa might get a goal in 2/3 games (making that up).

It's a risky strategy and it's not something I'm necessarily going to do but should be teased out anyway. I'm never comfortable going 3-5-2 either so there's that too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He seemed pretty knackered last night and was taken off after 75'. I still think he's quite good value at 7.3m, but I don't see him being as explosive as most people hope.

That's a couple of England players suffering from being knackered. What is Hodgson doing to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thinking of doing Costa to Pelle this week and then Welbeck back to Costa before QPR...The Aguero Costa Pelle front line is proving difficult to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

There's no fear of Pelle going up tonight is there? That's the move I'll be making.

• Advertisement

There's no fear of Pelle going up tonight is there? That's the move I'll be making.

Looks like Pelle up, Costa down tonight

Advertisement