Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick City Library Information Reel

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I’m also very interested in the Roman Catholic Burial Grounds that would have served the city prior to the start of records at Mount St. Lawrence (1855).

I have already gone through the burial records of Mount St. Lawrence on the Limerick Archives.

I suppose it would be wishful thinking but do burial registers exist for these graveyards listed below (pre-1850s)?
    • Killalee Graveyard (Garryowen)
    • St Patrick’s Graveyard (Singland)
    • St Michael’s Graveyard (Watergate)
    • Killeely Graveyard (Thomondgate)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Limerick City Library

I’m also very interested in the Roman Catholic Burial Grounds that would have served the city prior to the start of records at Mount St. Lawrence (1855).

I have already gone through the burial records of Mount St. Lawrence on the Limerick Archives.

I suppose it would be wishful thinking but do burial registers exist for these graveyards listed below (pre-1850s)?
    • Killalee Graveyard (Garryowen)
    • St Patrick’s Graveyard (Singland)
    • St Michael’s Graveyard (Watergate)
    • Killeely Graveyard (Thomondgate)

We're not aware of registers for these graveyards but you should contact Limerick Civic Trust - we believe they may be compiling listings from headstones.

Limerick City Parishes
    • St. Patrick’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2410)
    • St. John’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2411 + 2412)
    • St. Mary’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2412 + 2413)
    • St. Munchin’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2413 + 2414)
    • St. Michael’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2415 + 2416 + 2417)
    On the genealogy forum, I became aware that the National Library of Ireland in Dublin has parish registers for Limerick City on microfilm.

I wonder does the City Library have copies of them too?

As far as we know, no local agency have access to these registers, apart from Limerick Genealogy http://www.limerickgenealogy.com/

As far as we know, no local agency have access to these registers, apart from Limerick Genealogy

That’s a pity.

Limerick Genealogy offers a good commissioned based service and it has also linked up with Irish Roots for an online pay-per-view service.

The latter however, could set you back a small fortune if you have a very popular surname like Ryan etc, etc to research.

Those NLI microfilms would be a great resource to have for the library’s local studies.

Alas, the only option for Limerick citizens to see them for free would be a €60 / 7 hour return trip by train to Dublin.

535131_355994657788735_118155041572699_894455_1621625346_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Click here to view our interactive map of the Anti-Unionist Riots in Limerick that started on October 10th 1912

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

This interactive map is really a great facility and I think it helps bring the city's history to life! Keep up the good work.

Click here to view our interactive map of the Anti-Unionist Riots in Limerick that started on October 10th 1912

For those of those of you who aren't following us on Twitter, here's the events leading up to the aforementioned riot

We'll also be tweeting about the fallout in the city after these events, where the venue for the meeting, the Theatre Royal, was under an enforced boycott by some Nationalists in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Fantastic, thank you!

• Limerick - A Stroll down Memory Lane Volume 12 - Sean Curtin
    • Shaped by History - Gerry Andrews
    • University of Limerick: History - David Flemming
    I’m sure the Library will be acquiring them. Ideal presents for the Christmas stocking. :)

8203788492_91bcbdbb7d_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Hi all,

We've just launched a new City Library account on Tumblr that allows you to browse all of the New Books that are added to the Library Collection (Granary Branch)

Just click here to have a look

We will be updating this in real time...

If you want to see if a title is checked in, just click on the book cover and it will direct you to the book's status on our catalogue.

This also looks great on tablet computers & smartphones.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That is a really good facility to have available.

We've also created this very basic (but useful) Google Map of the City showing where the remaining City Walls are still visible.

942222_507190286002504_587963085_n.jpg

Read about the Censorship Movement in Limerick in 1913
    http://storify.com/Limerick1912/censorship-in-limerick-1911-1913

via @Limerick1913

Did you know that a Tornado hit Limerick city in 1851? We mapped what happened..

Click here to view an interactive map which shows the destruction it caused

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fabulous resource for anyone interested in Limerick's Casualties during WW1

Commemorated
    How do you communicate the scale of Limerick’s loss during World War One? This was one of the most traumatic events in Limerick’s history since the Great Famine. Over 1,000 violent deaths which occurred out of sight of relatives and friends. We have sought to visually represent the scale of the death toll through a series of interactive maps.

The map below shows the location where each Limerick casualty during WW1 is commemorated. Click on the placemark to identify the casualty. Each placemark is colour coded by age. We have generated individual GPS coordinates for every casualty. These coordinates are not the exact location of their plaque but are instead close to the commemoration site, giving each its own space.

•We recommend viewing the map in fullscreen mode.
    •Click on the tab (to the left) to navigate the other features on this site (Enlisted, Obituaries, Anzacs, About, Heatmap, Data, Memorial Sites, Regiments)
    Liam Hogan
    @Limerick1914
    Limerick City Library

Advertisement