Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Seeing a new counsellor tomorrow at the annoying insistence of my father.I've already given up hope of finding someone who can help me in any meaningful way,after seeing various HSE psychiatrists,psychologists,occupational therapists and counsellors over the past 3 years or so,who were not much help besides offering me pills which didn't work.

Stopped going to the HSE appointments a few months back,but my Dad found the letter saying they're discharging me back to my GP on my kitchen table,and now is insisting on me seeing this new counsellor who's a ''miracle worker'' apparently.

Only miracle she's working is getting my Dad to pay her €70 for an hour of asking me questions I've heard 100's of times before.Wish I'd just thrown that poxy letter in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Seeing a new counsellor tomorrow at the annoying insistence of my father.I've already given up hope of finding someone who can help me in any meaningful way,after seeing various HSE psychiatrists,psychologists,occupational therapists and counsellors over the past 3 years or so,who were not much help besides offering me pills which didn't work.

Stopped going to the HSE appointments a few months back,but my Dad found the letter saying they're discharging me back to my GP on my kitchen table,and now is insisting on me seeing this new counsellor who's a ''miracle worker'' apparently.

Only miracle she's working is getting my Dad to pay her €70 for an hour of asking me questions I've heard 100's of times before.Wish I'd just thrown that poxy letter in the bin.

Go to CBT Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm going to a psychiatrist for the first time tomorrow, can anyone tell me what to expect? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I'm going to a psychiatrist for the first time tomorrow, can anyone tell me what to expect? Thanks.

Lots of questions! First appointments are about taking your history ie what age are you, what are you doing in life, how did your problems start. Can feel a bit intrusive but remember they need a full picture so that they can help. Also don't expect a diagnosis - that can take a few sessions. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.
    Best of luck with it

Is it just a lot of '..and how does that make you feel' stuff or what? I'm really bad at answering questions like that, I usually just lie without realizing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

My counsillor cancelled our meeting. The one time I actually wanted to see her.
    Feeling quite low at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Is it just a lot of '..and how does that make you feel' stuff or what? I'm really bad at answering questions like that, I usually just lie without realizing!
    The first meeting generally won't be too much like that, it's more definite questions so that can get a good idea about you.
    Be honest and answer the questions honestly, it's worth it in the long run and remember everything is confidential so it's not like they'll gossip to your mates or family. Either way good look with it.

Having a crap day, I messed up something in work in Monday, there were two of us involved, when my boss asked me about it I basically puts my hands up and said I maid a cock-up, the other person apearently then said it was nothing to do with her and all my fault! I was in fine form until then.
    Ah, tomorrow's another day, hope everyone else is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Tough few days, seem relaxed enough today. Fingers crossed it won't be back for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Does anyone else get really bad teeth chattering after an attack? My attacks can last a matter of seconds where I am convinced I am dying, or can last up to 10 minutes but always after my teeth chatter for ages, then just suddenly stops. It's so surreal!

Common thing with me , although given it being winter an all I just seem to everyone like Im cold

Kaching wrote: »
    Common thing with me , although given it being winter an all I just seem to everyone like Im cold

Yeah I figure I look cold too. Well I got an official diagnosis of depression today can started on 20mg cipramil and I really don't like it, got very dizzy and had a bad panic episode. Now I just feel kinda not myself or something...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I prefer to be cold, even though I find myself shaking uncontrollably when I'm there. Cigarettes always help though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

So I decided to try go with the flo with all this christmas stuff and put up my decorations all was going well...spent ages getting my lovely fibre optic tree branches out nicely...plugged said tree in and puff base of it blew up:(:(

the motherf**ker son of a bitch tree is now back in the shed!!

Merry f**king christmas .............. rant over...............

handbagmad wrote: »
    So I decided to try go with the flo with all this christmas stuff and put up my decorations all was going well...spent ages getting my lovely fibre optic tree branches out nicely...plugged said tree in and puff base of it blew up:(:(

the motherf**ker son of a bitch tree is now back in the shed!!

Merry f**king christmas .............. rant over...............

O lord, i don't know whether to laugh or cry reading that.

Family stressing me out completely.

neemish wrote: »
    O lord, i don't know whether to laugh or cry reading that.

Family stressing me out completely.

I've laughed and cried lol

I know what you mean about family been keeping my distance as much as possible I love them but cant handle them sometimes

handbagmad wrote: »

I've laughed and cried lol

I know what you mean about family been keeping my distance as much as possible I love them but cant handle them sometimes

Have had me fill at this stage. Christmas is going to be fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Doing ok ish, its the 'ish' bit that's annoying. I want to feel normal, happy, enthusiastic and full of 'get up and go'

The slightest thing stresses me out and I don't want to do anything.

But it could be worse.

handbagmad- you gave me a great laught there, however I do feel for you, if it was me I'd probably have flung tree out the window and gone to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Not having a good day. Can't summon the energy to go to college. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Being stressed, anxious
    And depressed
    Is head wrecking and so
    Tiring ESP as find cant sleep great

I'm going to try cbt after
    Xmas do
    Ye
    Find
    It good?

Been funny the last few days, generally ok but my mood completely dropped last night when I went to bed. Woke up this morning then and was fine ok again.

Generally though, I've been ok.

How's everyone else?

Gillo wrote: »
    Been funny the last few days, generally ok but my mood completely dropped last night when I went to bed. Woke up this morning then and was fine ok again.

Generally though, I've been ok.

How's everyone else?

Ya, ok overall. Doing pretty well actually.

But i keep going through phases of very very dark thoughts. It might pnly last a few mins or a few hours but its incredibly dark. Try to convince myself that its just a moment and will pass but finding it difficult

• Advertisement

hi all feeling very "meh" the last few days. On the plus side rang the shop about my christmas tree fiasco the other day they replaced it for free now have a 6ft fibre optic tree in my tiny living room looks lovely(ridiculous)
    Its mad im finding the changing colours of it really soothing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ok. I've finally accepted that I need actual medical assistance with my condition, now that I understand its almost certainly PTSD and that it's affecting me daily now to the point of interfering with my thought process, forgetting things, ignoring other people's needs etc.

Any recommendations? Thinking maybe St. Patrick's hospital in Dublin, they has a course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'm really low today. I should be happy - good things happened. But I keep remembering I don't deserve happiness & that's not a fun way to be.

I told my counsellor I was experiencing suicidal thoughts. She listened for maybe 5 mins and then said "ok Hershey's, times up. Should we meet again after Christmas?" - I could have cried. In fact I did. And I haven't felt right since.

Last night was really, really tough. Yet again I've another draft of a letter to go in the shredder in work.

But deep down I know it's not the answer & I know I'm not going to do it but I really, really, really cannot deal with these thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Would you consider going into Casualty so you can see a psychiatrist Hersheys? If you're finding it hard to deal with the thoughts it can be a good help to have a chat. I had to do that a few times. If you do decide to do that, definitely bring something to distract you 'cause there's always a long wait.

Hope things get a bit easier for you soon xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Don't they inform your next of kin if you go to A&E with psych problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

banquo wrote: »
    Ok. I've finally accepted that I need actual medical assistance with my condition, now that I understand its almost certainly PTSD and that it's affecting me daily now to the point of interfering with my thought process, forgetting things, ignoring other people's needs etc.

Any recommendations? Thinking maybe St. Patrick's hospital in Dublin, they has a course!

you need a gp's referal to get an appointment there

i keep getting waves of negativity or anxious feelings , i felt anxious all day yesterday , only time i wasn't was when i was asleep , i can manage it at home most of the time , but when i go out i get a fear of doom or that i will go mad

and i'm 100 % sure i won't tho , or that anything will happen , conciously i'm 100 % sure that nothing will happen and the sensations mean f all , they can't harm you etc , but my sub concious mind is racing away with worrying thoughts , so i need a distraction , i noticed reading a book last night had my mind engaged for a bit and i was ok

roll on appointment in st pat's

it's 4-5 week waiting list

banquo wrote: »

St. Pats is great, I've been there, done it and found the program great. I'm not sure what the wait time is but it's well worth it.
    Do you have health insurance?

If you want to know more about the course feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

Newbie here, going through a very bad time emotionally with my marriage, savere depression previously due to a domestic abuse relationship, have been off meds for 8 months previous and felt great, but ive hit a blimp and went back on them today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Feeling very detached, sometimes I look out through my eyes and realise I haven't processed anything visual in the past hour, I'm just watching films in my mind (not exactly daydreaming).

Any sober waking moment is unwanted. Having said that I do get a couple of hours relief with recreational drugs every couple of days but the times in between I almost just blank out completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

elainee40 wrote: »
    Newbie here, going through a very bad time emotionally with my marriage, savere depression previously due to a domestic abuse relationship, have been off meds for 8 months previous and felt great, but ive hit a blimp and went back on them today

That's good, if they've helped before they should help you now. Did they help before?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement