Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Weird... must be the torrents I'm selecting. Just tested my connection again by downloading ubuntu and was getting 5MB/s. Will have to just keep an eye on it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you opened\port forwarded a port in your router for your torrent client? and if you did have you tested it in something like "Canyouseeme.org"?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Have you opened\port forwarded a port in your router for your torrent client? and if you did have you tested it in something like "Canyouseeme.org"?

Nope. How do I go about doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Go to http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
    Browse for your router manufacturer, then skip past the advert that pops up trying to trick you into buying their product, then search for your particular model of router. When you find that you'll get a page with all the applications that can be forwarded Find uTorrent (assuming you use that torrent client) and then follow the guide on how to forward a port for uTorrent on your router.

When finished check that the port was forwarded correctly using http://canyouseeme.org to check the port you just forwarded.

edit: managed to figure it out. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    edit: managed to figure it out. Cheers.

and?

and?

Still checking it all out. Tried downloading something last night and the issue seemed to be still there. The download speed was stuck at around 30kb/s. After a couple of minutes it went up to about 200 and seemed to peak as it was kicked back down to 30. This went on for another couple of minutes and then it just shot up to 1.5Mb to 2Mb/s which I'm pretty happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hi,
    since newsgroups seem to be going belly up, is there a server with VM's i can buy access to ? so I can remotely log in , start a torrent and log off and log back in later when it's done ?

I say this as torrents is dependent on the others net speed and not just my own ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi,
    is there a server with VM's i can buy access to ?

A seedbox is maybe what you are after the_monkey

moonboy52 wrote: »
    A seedbox is maybe what you are after the_monkey

OK .... thanks - i'll look it up :)

• Advertisement

OK .... thanks - i'll look it up :)

Actually can anyone recommend me a good seed box provider ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Actually can anyone recommend me a good seed box provider ?
    Thanks

I don't use them, but check out r/torrents or r/seedboxes on Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Anyone use a VPN with Vodaphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

mxph3 wrote: »
    Anyone use a VPN with Vodaphone?

I'm with Vodafone and I have a year's subscription with Private Internet Access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I'm with Vodafone and I have a year's subscription with Private Internet Access.

Have you had any experience with Vodafone throttling your internet speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

No. I've never heard of Vodafone throttling anyone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Anyone know anything about setting up port forwarding for torrenting on one of the fibre BB Magnet routers? (MediaAccess TG589vn v3)

I logged in as admin and updated the settings, I have read a few guides and followed what I was supposed to do but I am still having trouble. While once I am connected to someone, ie downloading one of their torrents, my upload is great but if I am just simply seeding I get so few connections its not even funny.
    I have set up in "Game & Application Sharing" my uTorrent in "Games & Applications" to be directed at me with the correct ports

Let me know what info you need on my setup plz :)

Nvm, sorted it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Scienter

Anyone know anything about setting up port forwarding for torrenting on one of the fibre BB Magnet routers? (MediaAccess TG589vn v3)

I logged in as admin and updated the settings, I have read a few guides and followed what I was supposed to do but I am still having trouble. While once I am connected to someone, ie downloading one of their torrents, my upload is great but if I am just simply seeding I get so few connections its not even funny.
    I have set up in "Game & Application Sharing" my uTorrent in "Games & Applications" to be directed at me with the correct ports

Let me know what info you need on my setup plz :)

Nvm, sorted it out :)

How did you sort it out? I'm having the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They don't do that also on Vodafone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Does anyone have a link to a video or tutorial of some sort for the best utorrent settings that you have found helpful?
    Mine was going great, then I accidentally updated the client and my settings were lost, now I'm in 20kb download land again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is PeerBlock sufficient or would a subscription to a vpn be recommended? Just wondering what the general consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Peerblocking is a total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're breaking boards ToS by posting that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

ED E wrote: »
    You're breaking boards ToS by posting that...

Post deleted. My apologies. I'll look elsewhere for an answer :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ED E wrote: »
    Peerblocking is a total waste of time.

How so?

I wouldn't be a big torrenter but when I have I'd usually leave that on.

As far as I'm aware only Eircom seem to take action against piracy so far but it's best to be safe than sorry I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

How so?
    because it's like taping over half the holes in a colander, it's still going to leak. :)

also, everyone even remotely involved in tracking down piracy is very aware that it exists and what to do to work around it.

all it will do is consume some resources on your PC and limit the number of peers you can connect to (which will slow down your torrents).

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

*cough cough* does eircom still bans connections that use p2p? *cough cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

PIA works like a dream -
    one side effect though -

3708244074.png

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

PeadarB wrote: »
    PIA works like a dream -
    one side effect though -

3708244074.png

:D:D:D

yea I see your ping is not great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I bought myself a subscription for CyberGhost VPN and tried tons of servers but each time, the download and upload is reduced dramatically down to <10mb/s. I'd be lucky to hit 10 when using VPN. Am I missing something? My internet speed without VPN is roughly between 85 and 95 down and 70+ up.

Advertisement