Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worked part-time - entitled to Redundancy?

• 15-01-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I've been working part-time for a company for the past 5 years. I was made unemployed at the end of December and am now applying for the Jobseekers Benefit. I've been asked to provide them with a letter stating whether or not I am entitled to Redundancy.

I have spoken to an employee of the company, who was unhelpful.

Basically, I want to know:

1) Am I entitled to redundancy?
    2) How do I go about getting it?
    3) How is it calculated? (I was earning €250 per week)
    4) Will the redundancy amount affect the amount of Jobseekers Benefit I receive?

The answers to these questions would be very helpful as I could then present them to my previous employer who doesn't seem to care much about my position.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Basically, I want to know:

1) Am I entitled to redundancy?

- Part Time Workers are entitled to redundancy as long as you meet the eligibility requirements (including 2 years continuous service) details can be found on citizens information
    2) How do I go about getting it?

Ideally if you were entitled to it, your employer should have given it to you when you left, along with an RP50 form which allows the company to claim a rebate from the Government on a % of your statutory redundancy. However if they haven't done that there are various ways to go about getting it, you can download the forms again from Citizens Information
    3) How is it calculated? (I was earning €250 per week)

- It's calculated at two weeks' pay for every year of service and one further week's pay (this is capped at 600)

4) Will the redundancy amount affect the amount of Jobseekers Benefit I receive?

- You should not be affected. If a person over 55 gets over 50k in a redundancy they are usually barred from claiming JSB for a number of weeks. But it doesn't affect the payment amount if it's under that.

I wouldn't go running to your former employer just yet, I would contact citizens information and see if they can clarify where you stand. If you are entitled to it then make sure you get it, but it could simply be that you are not entitled to it, for whatever reason.

Advertisement