Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Me again

• 25-12-2004 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi, after my post about the intonation on my Epi SG I borrowed an electronic tuner off a friend and set up the guitar at the bridge as best I could but still can't get it to intonate properly. After reading a lot about guitar setups and about the fact that Epiphone tuners and nuts are apparently totally dire (I get a big CRRREAK out of the headstock when I'm tuning the G and B strings, and tuning one of them effects the other slightly which I should think is a very bad sign) I'm considering getting a bone nut fitted and some locking tuners put on it. I knowwww it's a crappy entry level guitar and all you damn purists are gonna go "MEHHH BUY A PROPER GUITAR", but I kinda want to get this stuff done as a learning experience as well as a way to make the guitar more playable - and I don't particularly want to throw a lot of my hardearned at a new guitar or anything quite yet.

So, in terms of Irish guitar shops, how much am I looking at to buy a set of tuners (would I need to get these fitted? Seems like a simple job to me) and get a bone nut installed?

Oh and HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Hi. I replaced the tuners on my Epiphone SG not too long ago. I bought black
    Grover Rotomatics
    on Ebay (not from that store) ... cost around €50.

Fitting them was easy enough, however... the standard tuners are 8mm diameter and the Grover ones are 10mm diameter so I had to file (I just bought a cheapo file in Atlantic homecare) the holes to make them fit. No big deal though.

The black tuners look great on my black SG, much better than the crappy green ones that were on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Cool, was it a worthwhile investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Definately. Apart from looking better the new tuners are smoother to turn and they stay in tune better. The old ones were very rattly.

Advertisement