Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to sailing - Questions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Offshore is a totally different ballgame to round the cans. Night-sailing for starters, tiredness, moving around/reefing/setting a spinnaker/changing headsails without light. Hunger. Wet. Cold. Seasickness after pounding into a big sea, tack on tack, sitting on the weather rail. Numb. The sight of the sun coming up and feeling its rays warm your back (yes, they do, particularly when you are that cold.) At sunrise the joys of seeing all (or even half!) the fleet behind you, or the wrench of seeing everyone ahead of you, with the gnawing realization that you should have called a tack on that last windshift. The pleasure of a hot shower, being dry and sheets.
    Lots of people want crew that are good, useful, reliable and available. Priority for those who can steer a compass course, navigate, recognize lights ashore and afloat. Picking the right people and boat is most important. Ease into it. Don’t rush.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'll take it slow, but I'd love to do the fastnet in 2015 as a target :)

Had a fab day sailing today, hard work but good fun.

Can I ask a question about etiquette?

My skipper is not free the next few weeks, and I've gotten to know as in nod/smile at a few others, is it unseemly to ask if they are crew poor during this time?

Stheno wrote: »
    I'll take it slow, but I'd love to do the fastnet in 2015 as a target :)

Had a fab day sailing today, hard work but good fun.

Can I ask a question about etiquette?

My skipper is not free the next few weeks, and I've gotten to know as in nod/smile at a few others, is it unseemly to ask if they are crew poor during this time?

I’ve always been of the opinion that duty and loyalty are reciprocal between skipper/crew. A crew (unofficially) signs up for a season and expects to get fair treatment and good racing. A skipper should provide that and expects crew to be available and on time for racing. If your boat is ‘there’ and the skipper is away, the crew should at least be allowed sail crew’s races. (The skipper should be 'growing' talent and should encourage this.) If the boat is ‘going away’ for the skipper’s annual holiday, it is perfectly OK to crew for somebody else, indeed it is recommended, as it will broaden your experience and you will learn something new. Gently let your skipper know that you will be hoping to get a berth on other boats while he’s away and then tell other skippers in your class that as the boat you usually crew will not be racing for the next X weeks you would be available to crew for them if required.

There was a book published by Adlard Coles in the early 1970's on 'Crewing for Offshore racing' - will be dated by now, but it has some good stuff in it from memory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Offshore is a totally different ballgame to round the cans. Night-sailing for starters, tiredness, moving around/reefing/setting a spinnaker/changing headsails without light. Hunger. Wet. Cold. Seasickness after pounding into a big sea, tack on tack, sitting on the weather rail. Numb. The sight of the sun coming up and feeling its rays warm your back (yes, they do, particularly when you are that cold.) At sunrise the joys of seeing all (or even half!) the fleet behind you, or the wrench of seeing everyone ahead of you, with the gnawing realization that you should have called a tack on that last windshift. The pleasure of a hot shower, being dry and sheets.
    Lots of people want crew that are good, useful, reliable and available. Priority for those who can steer a compass course, navigate, recognize lights ashore and afloat. Picking the right people and boat is most important. Ease into it. Don’t rush.
    Jeebs, that brings back memories, so true.

To add to the woes is the cost for a first timer - you'll need a full set of offshore wetgear and a proper lifejacket with crotch straps and a built in harness, your own lifeline, an inner layer or two, not to mention the lack of modesty to be able to poo into a bucket in front of your crewmates when the heads block up or the door only opens on a port tack (spent three days on a port tack once..) :D

Steve wrote: »
    Jeebs, that brings back memories, so true.

To add to the woes is the cost for a first timer - you'll need a full set of offshore wetgear and a proper lifejacket with crotch straps and a built in harness, your own lifeline, an inner layer or two, not to mention the lack of modesty to be able to poo into a bucket in front of your crewmates when the heads block up or the door only opens on a port tack (spent three days on a port tack once..) :D

I still have a set of Musto Offshores with my then boat's name embroidered on them. Thirty-odd years old now, thousands of sea-miles, used periodically, still waterproof in all but the really worst conditions but happy to say that they still fit me (well, sort of, if the zip up the bib is not used :o) and are only slightly discoloured. I still have my safety harness, but it's the type that was outlawed following the '79 Fastnet, the one with the carabiner thingy that opened too easily.

As for privacy / heads, I had a near revolt once with a co-owner over that, the first thing I did on getting the boat was- without discussion - to dump the door to the heads and get Downers to make me up a flap with velcro on the sides - do you not realize how much those doors weigh?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think you said in your original post you are sailing in a white sails boat at the moment. If you want to go offshore at any stage you should try get on to a kite carrying boat next year. No one goes white sails offshore & theres a huge difference and new set of skills to learn to get a kite set up & flying.

I find offshore my body clogs up & doesn't let anything out till after 3 or 4 pints back on dry land. Q for the cubicles in wicklow before the round ireland is a good laugh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    I think you said in your original post you are sailing in a white sails boat at the moment. If you want to go offshore at any stage you should try get on to a kite carrying boat next year. No one goes white sails offshore & theres a huge difference and new set of skills to learn to get a kite set up & flying.

I find offshore my body clogs up & doesn't let anything out till after 3 or 4 pints back on dry land. Q for the cubicles in wicklow before the round ireland is a good laugh.

I'm about to do the old level two, now called basic skills on a J80 and it includes kite skills, plus a very kind boards member has offered to teach me kite skills on their boat :)

I think for now I'm going to enjoy getting to grips with sailing, this week I was out and walking around the boat doing tasks and realised I wasn't always looking for something to hold onto, so I'm getting more confident

Still entralled with the sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

J80s are a lot of fun.
    Very fast but very simple to sail too.
    You'll turn into a speed freak!

J80s are a lot of fun.
    Very fast but very simple to sail too.
    You'll turn into a speed freak!

Heh heee that sounds good, I've been out on a 420 and 270 and loved the speed :)

I suspect J24s/80s might be the boat for me

Reading and replying to the crew available thread tonight, reminded me that I wanted to thank each and every contributor to this thread.

I was out sailing tonight for the first time in a week (hit my shin on a boom while capsizing, then quadrupled the pain hitting the same limb off the traveller on the cruiser) and enjoyed it so much.

Everyone here who has contributed to this thread, have given me so much information and encouragement, gotten me started, and hopefully hooked on a lifelong pleasure, and I'd like to thank you all for your generousity :) You answered questions I may not otherwise have known the answer to and gave me plenty of advice and guidance.

No doubt I'll be back with more questions, but whatever about sail spree and how well it was publicised by HYC, the support and kindness on here is much appreciated, and has hopefully gained the sport of sailing a lifelong participant :)

• Advertisement

I have a stupid question, I've a hole in my wetsuit that I use for dinghy sailing, where can I get a patching kit? Would most chandlers have it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have a stupid question, I've a hole in my wetsuit that I use for dinghy sailing, where can I get a patching kit? Would most chandlers have it?

Try these http://www.drysuittailors.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

Anyone recommend a week-long sailing course to a complete beginner for a 27yo male??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I first set foot on a boat with Glenans in Collanmore, I was in my early 30's (I think!)

http://www.glenans.asso.fr/en/practicing/sailing-training-courses/nautical-centres/nautical-centres-glenans-in-ireland.html

A week long dinghy course in Toppers and Lasers, you'll never be as knackered or have as much fun! Total immersion doesn't even begin to describe it!

They also have a beginners course in Baltimore, but it's on dayboats (small keelboats).

Although I'm absolutely the world's worst dinghy sailor, the dinghy courses (I went back a couple of years later and did the improver's course) have stood to me no end - I couldn't recommend highly enough doing a dinghy course even if you intend eventually to sail keelboats. You'll get a feel for the boat and the wind and the techniques that you'll never get from a heavier keelboat.

All the clubs in Dublin (and possibly elsewhere in the country, but I'm most familiar with Dun Laoghaire) do Adult Sailing Courses - but they tend to be a couple of evenings per week over a few weeks.

INSC (West Pier, DL www.insc.ie) also do all sorts of courses - they may well have a week-long one that would suit if residential is not what you're after.

I now have a rip in my trousers, any recommendations for repair?

Are there (for want of a better word) puncture repair kits I can get? Or what do people do?

It's a small rip at the moment, but I don't fancy it getting worse, and it's on the knee!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

You can get repair kits but most people I know just duct tape the hole inside and out. Depending on the size of the hole and the location this can sometimes work fine. Considering yours is on the knee you might need something more permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I now have a rip in my trousers, any recommendations for repair?

Are there (for want of a better word) puncture repair kits I can get? Or what do people do?

It's a small rip at the moment, but I don't fancy it getting worse, and it's on the knee!

Spinnaker tape for a strong and flexible repair to waterproof plastic types... Duck tape is okay as a stopgap but will probably get pulled off as the edges are so much higher than the fabric...

Dunno if it would work on the musto type though ..? I haven't ever gotten holes in those types, but I would be inclined to try the tape and maybe use a heated knife to seal the strands around the hole like you would to a rope that's just been cut.

I'm slightly late, but today is a year and a day since I first started sailing.

today was the first day I raced in a boat that won it's class, it was an incredible feeling.

In the past year, I've sailed on catamarans, topaz's, laser vagos, 420s, GP 14s, squibs and several different cruisers.

In the summer season I now sail 4-5 times a week depending on weather/crew etc

For anyone reading this as a newbie, I've found it a very welcoming world, and have learned loads, and am astonished at the goodness of people in helping others learn in the sport.

I'm now thinking about next year, and have decided my next ambition is to buy a dinghy for myself and am exploring options, so am hoping I can once again prevail upon the good people who gave me such good advice in the past.

I weigh 66kgs, and am not particularly strong. I currently crew on a 34.7 as their (trainee) tactician, so no physical work required unless I'm in the right place at the right time, and crew on a GP14 (Plenty of physical work) and occasionally crew on cats (lots of physical work)

Ideally, I'd like to buy myself a one handed boat as I don't want to be bothered about needing crew, and would like to buy (I think) a laser.

Is a laser radial the boat to go for considering my weight/strength? What about a 4.7? I think I'm definintely too light for a full laser?

As always, thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

today was the first day I raced in a boat that won it's class, it was an incredible feeling.

In the past year, I've sailed on catamarans, topaz's, laser vagos, 420s, GP 14s, squibs and several different cruisers.

For anyone reading this as a newbie, I've found it a very welcoming world, and have learned loads, and am astonished at the goodness of people in helping others learn in the sport.

I'm now thinking about next year, and have decided my next ambition is to buy a dinghy for myself and am exploring options, so am hoping I can once again prevail upon the good people who gave me such good advice in the past.

I weigh 66kgs, and am not particularly strong. I currently crew on a 34.7 as their (trainee) tactician, so no physical work required unless I'm in the right place at the right time, and crew on a GP14 (Plenty of physical work) and occasionally crew on cats (lots of physical work)

Ideally, I'd like to buy myself a one handed boat as I don't want to be bothered about needing crew, and would like to buy (I think) a laser.

Is a laser radial the boat to go for considering my weight/strength? What about a 4.7? I think I'm definintely too light for a full laser?

You're an ideal weight for a radial. Go for it. And yes, you are most definitely too light for a full rig. They're for the big hulking men who can throw their 80kg weight out to windward in a gust. When Ben Ainslie won in a full rig he was 78kg and very, very fit and strong.

4.7s are kids boats. Sadly. At 55kg it'd be ideal for me :(

You're an ideal weight for a radial. Go for it. And yes, you are most definitely too light for a full rig. They're for the big hulking men who can throw their 80kg weight out to windward in a gust. When Ben Ainslie won in a full rig he was 78kg and very, very fit and strong.

4.7s are kids boats. Sadly. At 55kg it'd be ideal for me :(

Right, going to talk nicely to some of my club members to see if I can get a trial on a radial :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I find myself smiling away at your post as I am in a very similar position.

I started sailing last September, I've only sailed in laser picos (where I learned the ropes, pun intended) and Hobie Cats, however I absolutely love it. I love the camaraderie, the exhilaration, being absolutely scared witless and getting totally outside of my comfort zone and getting back to land safely (usually). And the occasional encounter with dolphins only adds to the allure.

I live abroad so the sailing season is actually coming to an end soon (too hot), so now I too find myself contemplating purchasing a boat.

I've posted a link to this in the Olympic thread in general sports, and thought it would be good to give an update.

Firstly I'm still sailing, moved from Howth to DunLaoighire in year two to a very competitive boat, did Cork week, every regatta going in Dun Laoighire, and then took a year off to complete a masters.

Got back in this year, joined Howth Yacht Club, and crew on a boat every Wednesday with the odd regatta.

I've graduated from the rail to the pit.

I also am learning to helm on another boat, with the expectation that next year that boat will be racing and I will be helm, planning on doing the yachtmaster over the winter.

I've also done one ISORA race and hoping to do more.

Cannot thank posters on here enough, without them I'm not sure I'd have continued sailing.

It's a superb sport to be involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's a superb sport to be involved in.

buy a boat and you wont be saying that, have 2 and youll be cursing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Some people just have really bad luck when it comes to boats, saw a boat last week and the bow was 6 foot out of the water because the bow rail got caught on a metal beam that's on the pier.

Suprised the rail didn't rip out.

Boaty wrote: »
    Some people just have really bad luck when it comes to boats, saw a boat last week and the bow was 6 foot out of the water because the bow rail got caught on a metal beam that's on the pier.
    That's not bad luck, that's bad parking!

OSI wrote: »
    Did you ever get into the dinghies Stheno? Thinking I met get some dinghy training in over the autumn to get a better understanding of the fundamentals and feel for things.

Yeah first year I did time in dinghies and learned loads, prefer the bigger boats though, learning to helm the 28 footer I'm on is challenging

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's not bad luck, that's bad parking!

Not at all, was most likely the wake of a boat going too fast inside the harbour.

Boaty wrote: »
    Not at all, was most likely the wake of a boat going too fast inside the harbour.
    Mmmmm.

Maybe a small element of bad luck if that was the case.

But if your lines are tight and the boat is straight then the bow shouldn't get anywhere near the pier or anything on it.

Easy to say at this remove, without full knowledge of the circumstances, obviously!

• Advertisement

Yeah first year I did time in dinghies and learned loads, prefer the bigger boats though, learning to helm the 28 footer I'm on is challenging
    'Dinghies' was the first thing that entered my mind when I saw your post on the other thread about your helming and noticing the effect of crew placement for boat performance. It comes very naturally to dinghy sailors, people tend to forget about it on bigger boats. Stuff like easing halyards and backstay when downwind on a heavy day is another. It's great to see how you've come so far so fast. :)
    PS don't be afraid to shout at them to get across the cabin top faster when you tack!

Advertisement