Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kerbed Alloy, need new Tyre?

• 29-05-2012 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

really annoyed with myself, kerbed a wheel last night pretty badly manoeuvring in a tight lane.
    However when taking some pics today I noticed that the tyre has a small chunk cut into it too (pic below).

The pic quality is pretty crap from my phone but any ideas if this will mean a new tyre? I'm guessing playing it safe it's best to replace it?

Cheers appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

When you pull that flap back are there any cords visible, or is it just rubber? Is there much life left in the tyre otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

It's just rubber that's visible, no cords.
    The tyre itself is only about 4/5 months old with low mileage on it so there should be plenty of life left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭sundodger5

no chords visible and no bulge? if so it is fine.

nope no cords and no bulge.
    Cheers lads appreciate the help

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That tyre must have a structural weakness in the sidewall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭sundodger5

the chords are the strength. fracture a chord and you get a bulge. no bulge no damage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

NCT doesn't agree it appears.

I just dropped into a tyre place near my office and they said it's fine, just cosmetic damage.
    Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

Below From NCT document and i guess this tyre will fail NCT.

1. Check whether the tyre tread appears to have been recut.
    2. Check visually that the tyre is correctly seated on the wheel rim.
    3. Examine the tyre for:
    (a) any cut or break in the fabric.
    (b) any lump or bulge.
    (c) any exposure of the ply or cord structure.
    4. Examine the valve stem for distortion or chafing.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I passed the NCT with a tyre like that i just put some glue in it and then lightly sanded it so it looked like new, ofc after checking with a friend who works in a auto factors if i needed to replace tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    NCT states "any cut or break in the fabric", which you don't have, so ok.
    Also, no lump, bulge or exposed cords.
    So grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

I done something similar couple weeks ago, small tear like the one in the pic, was ripping as it was a good pirilli tyre only done about 5k, a mate has a tyre changing machine got him to take it off and inspected it right, ok it looked ok when it was on but when it was off and you pushed your finger in on the rip from behind it did feel very weak, as i do far bit driving each week decided to be on safe side and replace tyre as better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had a similar tear in the wall of one of my tyres recently after an altercation with a curb. Would not take the risk and had it replaced even though my walet was €190 lighter.

Advertisement