Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Sa Spidéal a bheadh na cluichí ½ Ceannais and Cluiche Ceannais áitiúil i 2011

Faoi 16

¼ Ceannais

A - Naomh Anna vs Mícheál Breathnach
    B - An Spidéal vs Bearna
    C - Baile Clar Na Gaillimhe vs Rinn Mhaoile
    D - An Cheathrú Rua vs Maigh Culinn

½ Ceannais

C vs D
    B vs A

Cluiche Ceannais Sa Spidéal (02/05/2011)

Sóisear

Reamh babhta

1 - Naomh Anna vs Oileáin Árainn
    2 - Carna/Caiseal vs Mícheál Breathnach
    3 - Rinn Mhaoile vs Na Piarsaigh (20/03)

¼ Ceannais

A - Maigh Culinn vs An Spidéal
    B – 2 vs An Cheathrú Rua
    C – 3 vs Naomh Padraig An Fhairche
    D-Baile Clar Na Gaillimhe vs 1

½ Ceannais Sa Spidéal (01/05/2011)

B vs C
    A vs C

Sinsear

Reamh babhta

1 - Mícheál Breathnach vs Naomh Anna (20/03)

¼ Ceannais

A - Baile Clar Na Gaillimhe vs Carna/Caiseal (20/03)
    B - An Cheathrú Rua vs 1
    C - Maigh Culinn vs Bearna (20/03)
    D - An Spidéal

½ Ceannais Sa Spidéal (01/05/2011)

A vs D
    B vs C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Diabhal like I said before, that post wasn't directed at you. The only bit directed at you was the bit you didn't answer btw. What 6 forwards do you think we should start against Mayo on Sunday, seeing as you want rid of Clancy, Bergin, Sice and Armstrong?

10 Conroy (Think he's better there than anywhere else)
    11 Bane
    12 Breathnach
    13 Cummins
    14 ó Gríofa (Feel he should be on the team for the League at some stage at least)
    15 De Paor

Maybe not the best 6 possible (No Meehan or Joyces and likely no Concannon) but they deserve a chance more than Armstrong (would bring him on as a sub because we have very few options), Clancy and Sice (would bring him on as a sub too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

De Paor? Breathnach? OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

OK let's make a list of all the players who need to go.

Mathew Clancy
    Gary Sice
    Joe Bergin
    David Reilly
    Seán Armstrong (hasn't had a good game in at least 3 years)
    10 Conroy (Think he's better there than anywhere else)
    11 Bane
    12 Breathnach
    13 Cummins
    14 ó Gríofa (Feel he should be on the team for the League at some stage at least)
    15 De Paor

Maybe not the best 6 possible (No Meehan or Joyces and likely no Concannon) but they deserve a chance more than Armstrong (would bring him on as a sub because we have very few options), Clancy and Sice (would bring him on as a sub too).

You've changed your tune from the 1st post where you were saying they should go, now they should be active substitutes.

If we play Conroy in the forwards then we basically have no midfielders seeing as you want rid of Bergin and Coleman's gone.

As for your forwards, it's only Bane to whom i'd have no complaints. De Paor and Breatnach have shown time and time again that they are not good enough, Cummins has shown he's not ready yet, and while O'Griofa is a future star, he is not ready at 18/19 for an important relegation encounter. We have not even seen him play at any game of senior inter county yet.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to have the luxury of dropping underperforming players and adequately replacing them ala Kerry. But we simply don't have that option, and especially in the case of players like Armstrong who when underperforming, is still one of our better forwards.

The fact that 2 new managers have come in in recent seasons, im sure with grand ideas about a new start and new blood, yet we are stuck with the same old players. This speaks volumes to me, that these players are simply the best we have, and talk should not be about a manager replacing them, rather how/can he get the best out of them.

MfMan wrote: »
    De Paor? Breathnach? OMG!
    He asked me a reasonable question. I answered it knowing full well we wouldn't be at full strength. I'd rather play them against Mayo than Cork, Dublin or Kerry.

• Advertisement

You've changed your tune from the 1st post where you were saying they should go, now they should be active substitutes.

If we play Conroy in the forwards then we basically have no midfielders seeing as you want rid of Bergin and Coleman's gone.

As for your forwards, it's only Bane to whom i'd have no complaints. De Paor and Breatnach have shown time and time again that they are not good enough, Cummins has shown he's not ready yet, and while O'Griofa is a future star, he is not ready at 18/19 for an important relegation encounter. We have not even seen him play at any game of senior inter county yet.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to have the luxury of dropping underperforming players and adequately replacing them ala Kerry. But we simply don't have that option, and especially in the case of players like Armstrong who when underperforming, is still one of our better forwards.

The fact that 2 new managers have come in in recent seasons, im sure with grand ideas about a new start and new blood, yet we are stuck with the same old players. This speaks volumes to me, that these players are simply the best we have, and talk should not be about a manager replacing them, rather how/can he get the best out of them.
    TBH Hulkhands when I was thinking about replacements I have decided I've been too harsh on Armstrong. His lack of drive is the most irritating thing by far about his performances and it holds him back from his potential.

We won't stay up. Give these young lads a go. You can't tell me Jojo Grainey is better. These are the players who we might call on when Padraig Joyce gets injured.

I've moved Conroy because I know that Galway won't get rid of Bergin and Coleman will play whether Niall Cullinane likes it or not

TBH Hulkhands when I was thinking about replacements I have decided I've been too harsh on Armstrong. His lack of drive is the most irritating thing by far about his performances and it holds him back from his potential.

We won't stay up. Give these young lads a go. You can't tell me Jojo Grainey is better. These are the players who we might call on when Padraig Joyce gets injured.

I've moved Conroy because I know that Galway won't get rid of Bergin and Coleman will play whether Niall Cullinane likes it or not

Funnily enough, I actually think he has serious potential, a very good footballer for a man his size. I think he been harshly known for a poor 10 mins against Sligo in the championship a few years ago, and hasn't got chances since. Still only 20.

If I was choosing strictly young lads, Jonathon Ryan and Michael Martin would get another chance.

Fair enough on the midfielders. Agree on Armstrong also. As someone who has rated him rather higher than most since his U-21 days, it has frustrated the hell out of me that he hasn't gone on to become one of the country's best like I thought he would.

Funnily enough, I actually think he has serious potential, a very good footballer for a man his size. I think he been harshly known for a poor 10 mins against Sligo in the championship a few years ago, and hasn't got chances since. Still only 20.

If I was choosing strictly young lads, Jonathon Ryan and Michael Martin would get another chance.

Fair enough on the midfielders. Agree on Armstrong also. As someone who has rated him rather higher than most since his U-21 days, it has frustrated the hell out of me that he hasn't gone on to become one of the country's best like I thought he would.
    We were polar opposites when it came to Armstrong. I was too negative, you were to positive. I always thought the partnership of himself and Meehan made him look better than he could be.

On the "looking for good backs" front I think Paddy Naughton from Barna could be decent given the chance. We're ****ed midfielder-wise.

It's not even the final I was basing my opinion of Armstrong on......the 3 points he kicked in the final 10 mins of the U-21 semi final against Cork to get Galway to the final were 3 of the best ive seen, off both feet.

We're ****ed midfielder-wise.

Thomas Flynn from Athenry will be very good once he fills out a bit. Minor from last year. Height (6 4'), pace, can score, both feet, good hands and a good footballing brain. Has serious potential as have a few of that minor team like O'Griofa and Maughen

• Advertisement

It's not even the final I was basing my opinion of Armstrong on......the 3 points he kicked in the final 10 mins of the U-21 semi final against Cork to get Galway to the final were 3 of the best ive seen, off both feet.
    Can't really remember most of the campaign TBH so I'll take your word for it.
    Thomas Flynn from Athenry will be very good once he fills out a bit. Minor from last year. Height (6 4'), pace, can score, both feet, good hands and a good footballing brain. Has serious potential as have a few of that minor team like O'Griofa and Maughen

Hopefully. The foremost spot we always lose matches is in midfield.

Also kicked the important points that got Salthill over Kilmacud (?) in the club semi' a few years ago, and into the final.

I guess it is important to persist somewhat with the younger players. Tony Og Regan is a good case in point; a few years ago he was on the Galway hurling team and was very poor. He was then on and off it, and spent a year off the panel altogether. Brought back in last year and has really gone from strength to strength, to the point where I think he's our best option now at CHB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

..and Coleman will play whether Niall Cullinane likes it or not

Don't know what you mean by this?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Don't know what you mean by this?
    Got his name mixed up so apologies.

The story I've heard from a player on the panel was that Barry was never happy not starting and pitched a fit when O Fatharta naming his current best 15.

Got his name mixed up so apologies.

The story I've heard from a player on the panel was that Barry was never happy not starting and pitched a fit when O Fatharta naming his current best 15.

Still a little confused. You said 'Coleman will play...', but Niall Coleman has left the panel altogether apparently of his own accord.

You seem to be mixing up Coleman and Barry Cullinane? :confused:

Team from Galwaygaa.ie

1.Padraic Lally - An Spideal

2 Alan Burke - Corafinne

3 Colin Forde - Cill Fhir Iarainn

4 David Reilly - Mionlach

5 Gary O’Donnell - Realta Thuama

6 Finian Hanley - Br. na Trá-Cnoc na Cathrach

7 Kevin Brady - Cill Chonla

8 Paul Conroy - Naomh Séamus

9 Eddie Hoare - Naomh Micheál

10 Joe Bergin - An Creagán/Magh Locha

11 Cormac Bane - Cathair Liosgreáin

12 Gary Sice - Corafinne

13 Sean Armstrong - Br. na Trá-Cnoc na Cathrach

14 Danny Cummins - Baile Clár na Gaillimhe

15 Cathal Kenny - An Creagán/Magh Loca

Good luck lads................

In fairness to him I never heard of a few of those lads which is more then could be said for the past number of years.

One small complaint though.
    That midfield is too small. And also Bergin hasn't the kicking abilities to play in the forwards.
    I'd rather see an established and untested midfielder like G.Higgins get some game time and one of Conroy/Hoare in the forwards with Bergin on the bench.

In fairness to him I never heard of a few of those lads which is more then could be said for the past number of years.

That midfield is too small. And also Bergin hasn't the kicking abilities to play in the forwards.
    I'd rather see an established and untested midfielder like G.Higgins get some game time and one of Conroy/Hoare in the forwards with Bergin on the bench.

I'd agree with Higgins getting a start. Unless we get two points on Sunday I'd say we're up sh!t creek, if that happens we might as well use the rest of the games to get the players ready for the championship.

Good to see Hanley on the 40, we've a few full backs in the county be no centre half back. That’s one positive move by TO'F.

Cummins in full forward, high, long, dropping balls into the full forward line? Army or Kenny will roam out to help the half forward line prob???

I'm not a fan of this tactic, I'm old school, play three in the full forward line. Galway best assets are our forwards, best form of defense is attack.

Paul Conroy is hardly small?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Good to see Finian Hanley been given a go further out. He's much prefers playing out the field than at FB despite him being one of the best FBs in the country.
    Disagree about bringing the likes of Peadar Og and Tommy Flynn in, don't think they're ready for senior yet tbh, perhaps a few minutes towards the end like what Mayo gave to Cillian O' Connor against Down (didn't see their second game). Think we'll get mullered in this match, we've been terrible so far and Mayo are generally good in the league.
    And Hulk Hands, I agreed with everything in your post (the long one) apart from the Padraic Joyce comment. Think he needs to be dropped. Not because he's not good enough, rather we depend on him far too much. So many times in recent years when he's been marked out of games and we've looked absolutely clueless in attack, and then we've resorted to hitting it long in to Meehan and Joyce, which will not work on a regular basis. Also he's only got this year and next at the most, so we really need to be building our team around longer term players. Joyce won't win us an AI at this stage, and I think that should be our primary objective regardless of how far off it seems at this stage. Connacht titles are useless these days, they only get you a QF spot, which generally leaves you a few weeks without football before crunch time. We need to think longer term, and our target this year shouldn't be a QF spot, which is useless IMO, it should be an AI final appearence within 3 years and a victory within 5. FFS we've won the 3rd most amount of Sams, and yet we've been playing like a team thats never even been to Croker in the last few seasons. I hope to God we're putting in a long term plan. We do have the talent coming through but for some reason it's not being harnessed properly. We saw last year with the U-21s, they were the minor Ai champs, and while that does not mean they should have been favourites for the AI again, it certainly should have meant they got past the first round. But then again, I don't think this manager is the man to deliver us an Ai title, ever. I think he was hired to restore some pride, which I don't thik he will get. IMO he will be gone within 2 years and we'll be looking for another manager, again.

• Advertisement

Still a little confused. You said 'Coleman will play...', but Niall Coleman has left the panel altogether apparently of his own accord.

You seem to be mixing up Coleman and Barry Cullinane? :confused:
    I am. Apologies.

Who else is heading to Tuam? Hoping for a Galway win or at least a good performance.

I am. Apologies.

Who else is heading to Tuam? Hoping for a Galway win or at least a good performance.
    I am:)

THFC wrote: »
    We need to think longer term, and our target this year shouldn't be a QF spot, which is useless IMO, it should be an AI final appearence within 3 years and a victory within 5. FFS we've won the 3rd most amount of Sams, and yet we've been playing like a team thats never even been to Croker in the last few seasons. I hope to God we're putting in a long term plan. We do have the talent coming through but for some reason it's not being harnessed properly. We saw last year with the U-21s, they were the minor Ai champs, and while that does not mean they should have been favourites for the AI again, it certainly should have meant they got past the first round. But then again, I don't think this manager is the man to deliver us an Ai title, ever. I think he was hired to restore some pride, which I don't thik he will get. IMO he will be gone within 2 years and we'll be looking for another manager, again.

Actually, second most I think. (Think about it!)

Ya, prob going to Tuam, all being well.

Me too, standing behind the town goal, same as always :)

MfMan wrote: »
    Actually, second most I think. (Think about it!)

Ya, prob going to Tuam, all being well.
    I got nothing! Presume you're talking about some other trophy named Sam ______??

(fairly sure Dublin have won more AIs than us)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hi Lads,

Westmeath man with a Connemara father here, Tomas O is going to ruin Galway football if hes left in charge for any length of time. Galway football has always been based on playing "proper" football, not afraid to kick the ball. Tomas O is far to defense minded to bring the county on, Westmeath probably had its best group of players ever when he took over them and look at then now, he ruined them. What Galway county board were thinkin putting him in charge is beyond me. What ever standard of footballer is on the panel atm, current management is not going to help it improve. Know few of decent Westmeath footballers were delighted to see him go (not many of them tho). Only my two cents worth from experience and what i've heard.

Paul Conroy is hardly small?

And he's hardly your average county midfielder. Look at the top counties, your generally talking someone who's 6''2+ and 15 stone+.

He's not much taller then me I see him around a bit, and he's defo not that big physically.

He's a good footballer, but he's either in the half forward line or else the second string midfielder to a more physically imposing team mate.

Higgins fits this bill IMO.. he's playing for one of the top club teams, has been voted players player of the year in the championship before yet still hasn't even been tried in the middle for us.

We've been cleaned out in midfield for 9 years, even Leitrim have bettered us there, rotating through too many corner forward/half forward(build players) with zero success(or someone with marginally better handling and no mobility/ball skills- Cullinane)

It doesn't matter who we have in the forwards/backs unless we see some changes in midfield we'll always be playing with far less ball then the opposition.

Me too, standing behind the town goal, same as always :)

I'm going to miss it lads, I'm inside Enemy lines, in Mayo with the wife and the in-laws. Very blue up here today!:D

Let's turn it maroon.

In the stand. **** you Gary Sice.

• Advertisement

20mins and counting without a score in this half.

Seriously pathetic, Mayo aren't scoring well these days yet have racked up 2-13 with 15 left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement