Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Navy ... any info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 deanfitzg

Cant wait. They'll prob tell us on the 1st if there givin us 4 weeks:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    A friend of mine just left the navy he was an ordinary seaman for 3 years. He was telling me there were 15 other people leaving with him. Life on the boat was far from good. He was not a big drinker but when he didn't take part in the boozing sessions he was made take extra duty by superiors to cover two lads out on the piss. At one stage he had to do 3 x 24 hour shifts in a row and got no extra payment and he only rostered to perform one. When he brought this to the attention of the captain he was accused of being weak, and he explained that if he went against the wishes of his direct supervisor he would be dogged with work. If you are going to join as an ordinary seaman which is what the majority of recruits will end up doing due to the current shortage due to the amount leaving. Unfortunately you will end up a janitor on the high seas. The 24 hour duties you might get 3hr sleep and you will be on watch for 4 hours and when you are relieved you are expected to clean toilets and other tasks like painting. The navy has a high drop out rate as well the average recruit lasting about 3 years. While the navy might seem like a career with good prospects. Its not. At the moment you will be looking at spending at least 5 years at sea where previously it was 2. The question that you should also consider is what is you take home pay. The universal social charge has effectively taken away your seagoing allowance and you end up with €370 a week to be cleaning toilets and vomit, painting, and worse of all taking dogs abuse from superiors. On his last day he had a naval officer following him around the base goading him in an effort to get him charged before he left. We all know a military life is tough I was surprised to hear the level of bullying and abuse that still continues to this day. I know a job is a job and all that but without good pay and conditions and an environment where workers know they can progress and that their contributions are valued. you will not last. The Navy fails on all counts.

I think I know the guy who your on about. He did get a hard time off one leading seaman at sea.
    I reckon ordinary seaman is the worst rank in the navy and I would advise the recruits passing out next week to try and get their ab's as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

You're currently serving, am I right? Have you noticed a drop in people like clancyoo7 is claiming... 15 people seems a bit ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

A good few people have been kicked out on medical grounds recently which is good because nobody likes a seadodger.

I wouldnt have the official figures for people quiting the naval service, although 5-6 ab's have quit during the last 9 months in the division im in.

mikeym wrote: »
    A good few people have been kicked out on medical grounds recently which is good because nobody likes a seadodger.

I wouldnt have the official figures for people quiting the naval service, although 5-6 ab's have quit during the last 9 months in the division im in.

Medical grounds is understandable, if your not fit for the job then you shouldn't be doing it.

Do you mind me asking what division you're in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Medical grounds is understandable, if your not fit for the job then you shouldn't be doing it.

Do you mind me asking what division you're in?

Medical gounds in the NS usually means chronic seasickness.

It isn't like real sick lads, you have to eat or you'll be useless! Pukin on an empty stomach is very hard on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

Anyone heard anything yet? It's driving me mad waiting... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Panda General

No nothing yet here, yea the wait is awful going mad here:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sk89

Hey lads. a mate of mine got a phone call last tuesday. They told him somthing about his blood test results being lost or somthing. So he has to go down next week (from galway) and do the blood test again. So ye will be waiting awile yet Id say.

sk89 wrote: »
    Hey lads. a mate of mine got a phone call last tuesday. They told him somthing about his blood test results being lost or somthing. So he has to go down next week (from galway) and do the blood test again. So ye will be waiting awile yet Id say.

Ah your not serious more waiting, anyway cheers for the info,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Word of caution for blood tests, april first = :D

Ha yea hopefully it was just an April fools although it wouldn't be too hard to believe with all this waiting! Surely we'l hear from them this week!

Ha yea hopefully it was just an April fools although it wouldn't be too hard to believe with all this waiting! Surely we'l hear from them this week!

Hey rockagusroll i wonder if the 6 of us tha got tested together will get through?

Fingers crossed we do :) Good chance of it I reckon, I thought one of the guys had to repeat his eye and ear tests so don't know how he got on but the rest of us passed the lot so hopefully!

Just hope they get back to us soon, all this waitin is drivin me nuts!

deanfitzg wrote: »
    Just hope they get back to us soon, all this waitin is drivin me nuts!

Same here.. Wonder what's taking so long?! I sent an email in last Friday but no reply, might try call them tomorrow if there's nothing by lunch!

Yea i might give them a call or send an email myself tomorrow if i don't here anything by 2 or 3, getting sick of all this waiting:mad:

Yea i might give them a call or send an email myself tomorrow if i don't here anything by 2 or 3, getting sick of all this waiting:mad:

Its a test.

There is a Defence forces phrase known as "hurry up and wait" or "on the truck, off the truck".
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

Might be another week or two lads. I was down there today to do bloods. My last results got lost up in dublin.Theres was 6 of us in total. They said that the garda vetting and bloods is holding everything up. He told me to check my emails everyday, and that if dont hear anything in two weeks then give them a buzz. Im just trying not to think about it now.

MRLAZY wrote: »
    Might be another week or two lads. I was down there today to do bloods. My last results got lost up in dublin.Theres was 6 of us in total. They said that the garda vetting and bloods is holding everything up. He told me to check my emails everyday, and that if dont hear anything in two weeks then give them a buzz. Im just trying not to think about it now.

I was hoping there was a delayed april fool's there but i'm guessing not.. Did they say whether or not the class will still be starting at the end of the month? or anything else?

• Advertisement

I don't remember filling in a vetting form? Can any of you tell me what it entailed?

Name, address, etc? Might refresh my memory!

Well I heard a few navy lads talking and the next class will be getting there vacinated on the 29th. ya we all got them with the medical forms, names and adresses.

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I don't remember filling in a vetting form? Can any of you tell me what it entailed?

Name, address, etc? Might refresh my memory!

It was just a one page form for your name, dob etc and then a list for you to write down all your previous addresses. I've done 2 for them, one at the interview last year and the other a few weeks ago. We were given them to fill in while waiting around for the medicals.

MRLAZY wrote: »
    Well I heard a few navy lads talking and the next class will be getting there vacinated on the 29th. ya we all got them with the medical forms, names and adresses.

Ah well hopefully the dates are all the same then, maybe they only have to give 2 weeks notice which gives us another 7-10 day wait!

Ah thanks lads, I remember filling that in alright. Well I really hope I get accepted and if it's true about the 29th then that'd be the greatest birthday present ever! ;)

Yup bloods can take 7 to ten days to get back. But I was told i could get an email tomorrow so keep checking your emails. We will 100 per cent find out in the next 2 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Not to sound rude guys but I'd hazard a guess that emailing them and ringing them will do nothing but annoy whoever is on the receiving end of the calls! I'm sure they won't forget about you, it's just these things take time,especially the gardai clearance.

Best thing to do is put it out your head until you get word, but I suppose that's easy for me to say not being in your position!

Best of luck to you guys, hope when word does come through it is good :)

Edit: stupid angry smiley is a result of my fat thumbs and a iPod touch and in no way represents my feelings towards all of you!!!!

Not to sound rude guys but I'd hazard a guess that emailing them and ringing them will do nothing but annoy whoever is on the receiving end of the calls! I'm sure they won't forget about you, it's just these things take time,especially the gardai clearance.

Best thing to do is put it out your head until you get word, but I suppose that's easy for me to say not being in your position!

Best of luck to you guys, hope when word does come through it is good :)

Edit: stupid angry smiley is a result of my fat thumbs and a iPod touch and in no way represents my feelings towards all of you!!!!

I suppose you are right, just going to have to find out a way to put it out of my mind for awhile and be patient....

Recruit class passed out today.
    Not in No 1s though, strangely enough.

• Advertisement

Recruit class passed out today.
    Not in No 1s though, strangely enough.

Yeah looking at the photos here, looks a bit odd without the No:1s. Wonder what the reason behind it is?

Advertisement