Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland - Ballyfermot

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

Guys, you need to remember that a lot of food stuffs in the Republic of Ireland carry NO VAT at all (probably the same as in the U.K.) so always stating that one of the reasons for the big difference in grocery prices between here and the U.K. is differing VAT rates is wrong.
    Incidentally, on Lidle's receipts, you can see which rates of VAT have applied to all your purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Bluetonic and wishbone, I have to partially agree with you.
    you cannot compare like for like directlydue to many different factors, rent, rates, electricity cost etc, VAT is a part of the price difference on some products, 17.5% against 21% also some products that have VAT in Ireland do not have VAT in the UK. some information can be found here http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0615/D.0615.200603010088.html
    and or http://www.basis.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=14003&ecategory=14319&sectionpage=10339&language=EN&page=&link=link001&doc=11593&doclistid=14328&logname=VAT%20Rates&urlcode
    these are just basic examples and yes I know this changes in about 30 mins in both countries, my point is that the price difference is crazy, I work for a company that imports alot of food based products from the UK and I am sorry to tell you that in alot of cases were are benig ripped off. yes we are a small country with bad infrastructure, lack of competition, Tesco and Dunnes control c 50% of the irish grocery market
    http://www.tribune.ie/business/article/2008/nov/30/every-lidl-helps-as-dunnes-and-aldi-make-cents-wit/
    while Supervalue (mainly independant stores trading under the Musgrave supervalue name) and the rest make up the numbers. For the last few yeas people didnt really care about the prices they were being charged, ask you local shop for a recipt, they are supposed to give you one by law but most of them dont bother giving them out as people will start to realise what they are paying.
    Yes there is value out there, not all stores are overcharging some are even makig a loss on deals, Superquinns roll back the years, tins of christmas lines below costs etc, but then again some of the suppliers are supporting these at the cost of every other shop.
    The prices being charged in Iceland are over the top, everyone has the right to make a profit but not to the extent that they are doing and i think alot of people would agree with me.
    and something most people havnt seen but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGoWKVA87ro
    less competition and less diversity reduces choice, selection, and increases prices. competition is good, saw alot of ghost towns in scotland years ago when the big multiples over there really started to built their out of town stores, scary to see streets boarded up like that.
    Also if some could help me, what price is iceland charging in their stores in cost del sol, also under licence, they have one in Fuengerola just past lidl and burger king, if anyone is going on a quick break before xmas it would be great if they could check a price or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aman

I passed on a link to this thread to the franchisee as I know him (one of the partners) & I am sure he will take all your comments into consideration.

While I don't have all the facts he did mention to me that some of the reasons for the higher prices include

(a) obviously Iceland are making a profit on the goods so he is paying a higher price for them
    (b) shipping costs - franchisee has to pay
    (c) wages costs are significantly higher than UK
    (d) electricity costs are 50% higher as in the UK stores can bulk buy electricity units
    (e) the store had to be completely re-fitted at a huge cost
    (f) Vat differences on some products.

He is employing 35 local people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

Eh, aman, I think you're seriuously misguided in relation to point A. Even if this Iceland operates under franchise the owner will still be buying his stock from the same suppliers. It's not as if the supplier sells to Iceland and then Iceland sells on to its franchisees, taking another slice of profits in the mean time. For example, some Icelands in the U.K. would be owned by the company itself whereas some operate under franchise, but you won't find a difference in price level between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aman

compsys wrote: »
    Eh, aman, I think you're seriuously misguided in relation to point A. Even if this Iceland operates under franchise the owner will still be buying his stock from the same suppliers. It's not as if the supplier sells to Iceland and then Iceland sells on to its franchisees, taking another slice of profits in the mean time.

Eh, compsys, I got this from the franchisee. All Iceland branded products are sold to him by Iceland & not at cost. He's wondering how you missed this when you read his franchise agreement :rolleyes:
    compsys wrote: »
    For example, some Icelands in the U.K. would be owned by the company itself whereas some operate under franchise, but you won't find a difference in price level between the two.

All UK based Iceland stores are owned by the parent company - if you see here you can read the history of the company
    http://www.iceland.co.uk/page/view/about_iceland_story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ocluggg

Just popped in this evening. All items have a sterling price on them and a euro sticker beneath. The exchange rate seems to be €1.75 for every £1! Can't see this lasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jvr1980

Does the franchisee have any plans to open another store? V surprised to see Iceland come back to Ireland

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

But it's a welcome return for fans of the game "Spot The Battered Wife".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ocluggg

humberklog wrote: »
    But it's a welcome return for fans of the game "Spot The Battered Wife".
    Really, and are these people also fans of "Spot the mother of a drunk driving victim", and "spot the child abuse victim"? My oh my, the workingclass give some people so much joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ocluggg wrote: »
    Really, and are these people also fans of "Spot the mother of a drunk driving victim", and "spot the child abuse victim"? My oh my, the workingclass give some people so much joy.
    The joke appears to have gone over your head! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

ocluggg wrote: »

Japers. Cool the jets. Try and see the line from another angle. If you can't then you don't understand where it's coming from and I ain't willing to tell you.
    But your wrong in evey way in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cmac2010

:)Iceland opening in Navan Rd this coming Tuesday at 10am. Happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

humberklog wrote: »
    Japers. Cool the jets. Try and see the line from another angle. If you can't then you don't understand where it's coming from and I ain't willing to tell you.
    But your wrong in evey way in your post.

I'm trying...........explanation please????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement