Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trtiton Shower Problem

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

You could have a water leak on to the electrics. Best get an electrician to take a look. That's the purpose of all the earth wires in the system, to stop you from getting fried. Lets us know how you get on.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 badge9

i have a switch instead of a pull cord on my triton t90xr. when i turn on the switch/pull cord the light is very dim and there is no light on on the shower and no water coming out can anyone help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If there's no power going to the shower, then you'll need to call an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Thread exists, no point reinventing the wheel.

I noticed today that there's water leaking out of my T90si just above where the hose connects. Opened it for a look, there seems to be water leaking from the top of the grey plastic tank on the right hand side (water heater?) and running down inside the shower and escaping beside the outlet.

Can this be fixed or is it a new shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

More Music wrote: »
    Thread exists, no point reinventing the wheel.

I noticed today that there's water leaking out of my T90si just above where the hose connects. Opened it for a look, there seems to be water leaking from the top of the grey plastic tank on the right hand side (water heater?) and running down inside the shower and escaping beside the outlet.

Can this be fixed or is it a new shower?

If your pump is leaking it may not be worth getting fixed and it sounds like your pump.

What worries me more is why its leaking. Is your shower a T90 connected to the mains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

It's a T90si connected to the water tank in the attic.

It's defo leaking from top of tank where the cables are connected to long copper bits. Actually tripped out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pauline100

I have a triton t90, about 3 years old that I just pressed the on /off button & it is still leaking about 40% of the water emitted while in use. I have it plugged at the moment but any ideas how to fix it? I tried turning it off & on again a couple of time s but no joy. It has never leaked before.
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

To be honest the triton t90 isnt that old .....

Its ancient. Could easily be pushing 7-8yrs +. Its been superceded twice up to now AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pauline100

Mine is a T90si

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I have a Triton T90xr. This morning when started it tripped out the main electrics. I opened the cover and the first thing I noticed is that there is soot around the motor assembly.
    I took out the filter to clean – it appears clean enough and cleaned the head. I put the cover back on and set the Power selector to cold position. Switched the electrics back on and started the shower. It started up no problem and I left it run on this setting for a minute and then switched the power selector to Economy it stayed running. When I switched the power selector to High it again tripped the electrics.

I know that I must have a problem with the motor over heating due to the soot. Do you think it would be sufficient to just replace the motor unit? What could be causing the motor unit to overheat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Maybe try this before you delve in and replace the motor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJjzWqxesc

Had a problem with out shower recently not too dissimilar to your problem and replacing the solenoid fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

LK_Dave wrote: »
    I have a Triton T90xr. This morning when started it tripped out the main electrics. I opened the cover and the first thing I noticed is that there is soot around the motor assembly.
    I took out the filter to clean – it appears clean enough and cleaned the head. I put the cover back on and set the Power selector to cold position. Switched the electrics back on and started the shower. It started up no problem and I left it run on this setting for a minute and then switched the power selector to Economy it stayed running. When I switched the power selector to High it again tripped the electrics.

I know that I must have a problem with the motor over heating due to the soot. Do you think it would be sufficient to just replace the motor unit? What could be causing the motor unit to overheat?

How old is it? Normally you get 2 year warranty now with those. Check under bottom of shower and you will see a date E.G 08/12.....Maynooth shower doctors look after warranty for Trition. But beware if its plumb/wired in wrong they will charge.

Vikings wrote: »
    Maybe try this before you delve in and replace the motor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJjzWqxesc

Had a problem with out shower recently not too dissimilar to your problem and replacing the solenoid fixed it.

A resistance test on the solenoid returned a value of 3.94 so it appears good.

mad m wrote: »
    How old is it? Normally you get 2 year warranty now with those. Check under bottom of shower and you will see a date E.G 08/12.....Maynooth shower doctors look after warranty for Trition. But beware if its plumb/wired in wrong they will charge.

4 years old...well pasted warranty!!

could the trip be faulty?

My suspicion is that there is a fault in the secondary heating element. Although resistance testing on both appear they are good.

I’ve be forced to dig deep and get a new unit by the great unwashed......installed it this morning (Triton T90z) and all are happy again.

Would love to identify the exact problem with the T90xr....€240 is a lot to blow when a repair may have been in order!!!

Many thanks guys.

Where are you situated? Dublin area? Sometimes I come across parts for these. Will have to look in work Monday though to see.

Thanks but I'm down in the wilds of county Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I've a problem with my shower when you use it first in the morning it works fine but when the second person gets in after you the water fluctuates from cold to scalding hot. You have to turn the shower on and off a few times and let the water run before it goes back to normal. The pump makes a noise like its cycling from high to low and this correspondes with the temp change of the water.
    Shower is approx 5yrs old and we live in a very hard water area. I frequently have to open up the shower head to remove large clumps of limescale. If I leave the head off the hose and let it hang into the bath and shake it more large clumps fall out. I do this every two weeks roughly.

Any ideas what the problem might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hexosan wrote: »
    I've a problem with my shower when you use it first in the morning it works fine but when the second person gets in after you the water fluctuates from cold to scalding hot. You have to turn the shower on and off a few times and let the water run before it goes back to normal. The pump makes a noise like its cycling from high to low and this correspondes with the temp change of the water.
    Shower is approx 5yrs old and we live in a very hard water area. I frequently have to open up the shower head to remove large clumps of limescale. If I leave the head off the hose and let it hang into the bath and shake it more large clumps fall out. I do this every two weeks roughly.

Any ideas what the problem might be

The pump sounding like its going from high to low shows the water flow is being intermittently being restricted, then clearing itself. The pump will sound faster when water flow is reduced, and water will get hotter.

The cause has likely been answered by yourself, clumps of lime scale clogging it up.

• Advertisement

@bruthal
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    So I assume if its a lime scale problem there's little I can do to fix it. ??

The soot is normal in these showers. It is simply residue from the motor brushes. Earth fault on the second part of the heating element is the likely problem.
    My suspicion is that there is a fault in the secondary heating element. Although resistance testing on both appear they are good.

Yea elements with earth faults can show normal resistance readings through the element itself.

You have shower replaced now but the above might be useful info anyway.

@bruthal
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    So I assume if its a lime scale problem there's little I can do to fix it. ??

It can be de-scaled by putting calgon down through the shower. It can be tricky enough unless you`re handy with the diy. Check the filter in the shower to see if it is clogged also.

Bruthal wrote: »
    It can be de-scaled by putting calgon down through the shower. It can be tricky enough unless you`re handy with the diy. Check the filter in the shower to see if it is clogged also.

Do you mean calgon in the shower head or in the actual unit.
    I haven't opened it up yet to look at the filter suppose that's the next task.

Do you mean calgon in the shower head or in the actual unit.
    I haven't opened it up yet to look at the filter suppose that's the next task.

Through the actual shower. I know some have had some success putting broken up tablets actually into the supply pipe to the shower, where it leaves the cold water tank in attic.

Here is a thread with similar problem, and a posters method of de-scale.

You could try descale the head on its own also. That would be part of the descale process anyway.

Advertisement