Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help with new gaming rig [€800+]

• 03-06-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hey guys, just a brief preface. I realize theres plenty of similar threads and I've been reading through them trying to suss out a build but I figure this is probably the best way to go about things. I've got help with a separate rig before and it was great so hopefully this time will be handy enough too.:D

1. What is your budget? [€800 - €850]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet/Programming(Some software dev aswell as game dev) and potentially HTPC at times, not important though. Streaming for websites like twitch is another big thing.] Games - Looking at games like ArmA 3, BF4, Metro, Starcraft 2 (Fond of RTS) aswell as simulators like DCS. Basically all round PC gaming. Preferably running at highest graphics possible, budget pending

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080] [Yes]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes, if it makes a significant difference]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Next week I'll place the order]

Preferably I'd like to have 1TB of storage and then one SSD for the OS and a game or two. I'll be running Windows 7 Ultimate:pac:

Another thing I should probably mention is I run dual monitors, Two 32" Full HD Samsung TVs. If not those, I'm using two 21.5" Samsung monitors. All are 1920x1080. If I could push 3 monitors out of the build I'd be extremely happy. If The budget needs to go above 800 I can raise it by about another 200 if it will change things drastically.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Are you saying you will game on the one monitor or be using eyefinity surround yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Ryuzaki

Are you saying you will game on the one monitor or be using eyefinity surround yoke.

Cheers for the reply. I've been kinda thinking about it on and off and I'm undecided. As useful as that sounds:P

In short, No

If it was too far out of my budget I would forget about it but if its possible then yes. I honestly don't know enough about it to justify a decent response :( I'm sorry :p But what I meant was just generally having 3 desktops and then gaming off the one. But having the possibility of playing 3 monitors at once would be nice, provided its not too far out budget like I said :p

Sorry for slow enough reply, doing the LC so yeah :) This is whats keeping me ticking over

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057222999

A build was posted here. Seems to be somewhat close to what I'm looking for but not sure with the whole 3 monitor setup etc. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I wouldn't bother with eyefinity to be honest. Just game on one monitor and have the other two just for having extra things open. That's a good build you've linked it's just missing a cpu cooler.

I'd say if you plan on streaming don't go with a wireless card, get a long length of ethernet cable or go for one of those powerline adapters.

If you just use one monitor for gaming and have the others open you can be watching your stream chat, too, and you won't run into the problems of trying to capture 3 monitors and downscale to stream it all, and end up with a super wide aspect ratio.

I wouldn't bother with eyefinity to be honest. Just game on one monitor and have the other two just for having extra things open. That's a good build you've linked it's just missing a cpu cooler.

I'd say if you plan on streaming don't go with a wireless card, get a long length of ethernet cable or go for one of those powerline adapters.

If you just use one monitor for gaming and have the others open you can be watching your stream chat, too, and you won't run into the problems of trying to capture 3 monitors and downscale to stream it all, and end up with a super wide aspect ratio.

Amazing advice and my thoughts exactly! It was more something I would like to have the option to do but am not pushed..

The wifi card is purely a personal preference for when I move my rig around (visiting brother, LANs etc) but I will most certainly be using an Ethernet cable otherwise

Could someone perhaps suggest a decent CPU cooler and also how does the GPU fare with 3 monitors? Will I still get high settings in games at full 1080p etc? I can up budget a little bit if need be. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it and sorry for the questions and lengthy responses!

One last question is about the hard drive in the build. Is it best bang for buck? What about a WD or something? any difference? Thanks:D

• Advertisement

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=669&aid=59387&basket.changed=1

Would that do for a CPU cooler?

Now I'm just looking at cases it seems and a network card. I have a few ideas for cases, that are asthetically pleasing. Any suggestions as to the best I can get? And would any of these suit the build? Thanks :D

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=159414&agid=631&apop=2

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=68207&agid=631&apop=13
    If I was to get this one, would I get more fans to go with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Get an Xeon instead of the I5 or an I7.

Change the case to an antec one.

Run all them parts through Geizhals.de

Get an Xeon instead of the I5 or an I7.

Change the case to an antec one.

Run all them parts through Geizhals.de

You're a gent. Care to point me in the direction of the zeon (on my phone) and give some method to the madness? :D just trying to learn as much as possible about it as I go along.

What's the perks of an antec case? I do plan to run the parts through when I've compiled the final list! :D

Could you also perhaps tell me a small bit about my gpu? Is it good bang for my buck, will it run most modern games on high/very high at 1080p? And will it support 3 monitors and gaming without any hassle? :) Sorry for the bombardment of questions and thanks in advance <3

At the rate this is going I very well may order this in the next day or two, most likely before the week is out

EDIT: Been looking for a decent network card aswell but wasn't too sure.. actually couldn't see one on hardwaversand :s any suggestions?

On phone myself.

Xeon 1230 is 205 euro. Is an I7, has hyper treading. 8 cores. Is a server/desktop CPU. Has no integrated graphics but if you are using a Gpu this will not matter.

Antec one - is 48 euro. Has really good cooling/silence for its price. And has nice features look it up, check some benchmarks.

Can't look up parts at the moment. I'm Finished on the can.

On phone myself.

Xeon 1230 is 205 euro. Is an I7, has hyper treading. 8 cores. Is a server/desktop CPU. Has no integrated graphics but if you are using a Gpu this will not matter.

Antec one - is 48 euro. Has really good cooling/silence for its price. And has nice features look it up, check some benchmarks.

Can't look up parts at the moment. I'm Finished on the can.

Cheers for the reply. If you get a chance tomorrow could you help me tie up the last few loose ends and I'll get it ordered? :D Thanks so much for all the help.

Was just reading about the card and it seems to be pretty good. Just curious as to what you would suggest as the next step up and how much extra it would be, just for a little future proofing :)

The xeon sounds perfect then and is the cooler I linked still acceptable for it?

The Antec one seems incredibly reasonable but I'm just not keen on the look of it :/ bland metal with the grating just doesn't quite do it for me :/ I'll have a look tomorrow evening and see if I can find something to hopefully match it. Thanks again

• Advertisement

Next step up Gpu for nvidia be a gtx 770. Priced an MSI twin frozen 2gb one using Geizhals 269.

Or if you want to go AMD R9 280x. 247 same brand MSI twin frozen.

Cooler will work with any Intel. Good one too.

Case wise. Look up the nzxt h440. 50 euro more. But looks nice. Personally I don't really care for looks as long as the case keeps parts cool and it is quiet. As I spend the time looking at the screen playing the game, than jizzing over the pc. But each to their own.

You will find a lot of cases with lights and fins. Maybe check out the zaleman(just notice your link) or corsair carbide spec three think 59 euro. Look em up. Or if you see one post will check it out.

Ps.The nanoxia is one of the best cases price/performance and highly recommend.

Next step up Gpu for nvidia be a gtx 770. Priced an MSI twin frozen 2gb one using Geizhals 269.

Or if you want to go AMD R9 280x. 247 same brand MSI twin frozen.

Cooler will work with any Intel. Good one too.

Case wise. Look up the nzxt h440. 50 euro more. But looks nice. Personally I don't really care for looks as long as the case keeps parts cool and it is quiet. As I spend the time looking at the screen playing the game, than jizzing over the pc. But each to their own.

You will find a lot of cases with lights and fins. Maybe check out the zaleman(just notice your link) or corsair carbide spec three think 59 euro. Look em up. Or if you see one post will check it out.

Ps.The nanoxia is one of the best cases price/performance and highly recommend.

Cheers I'll check the cards out when I get home from paper two. Glad I was able to pick something that actually works :D

Normally yeah sure I'm all down for practicality but I've had such a bland case for years that I kinda wanna treat myself this time around. Is the zaleman known to be quiet/decent for cooling?

Really want the nanoxia but tis out of stock :(

Item|Price
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, ATX, Sockel 1150|€104.38
    Crucial M500 120GB SATA 6GB/s 6,4CM (2,5") 7mm|€56.99
    2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€95.64
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€64.34
    Asus DRW-24F1ST Retail Silent|€17.90
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD|€30.26
    Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Bx, LGA1150|€217.35
    Zalman Z11 Midi Tower - schwarz, ohne Netzteil|€51.45
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 WindForce 3X OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€217.32
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€874.62

Down to 850 with Geizhals.de

Last Thing I should hopefully just need help with now is cables etc. Do I need to get anything extra because I added another 1TB HD and alsso having the SSD? :D

Other than that the only other thing I'll dare to ask is a point in the direction of a good GTX 770? Someone said they would give me the money to bump build up to a GTX 770 if its good futureproofing :D Thoughts? Was looking at Gigabytes 3X OC GTX 770 but not sure. Others that perform just as well? I couldnt see the one mentioned earlier the twin frozen one?

Just ordered! Thanks so much for the help guys! Especially Sterling, thanks a mil, I really appreciate it. Love the name by the way, amazing show :p

I changed the GTX 760 for its GTX 770 counterpart :D
    Other than that the build is the same.

Still unsure about things cable wise with the 2 HDs and an SSD though :p Will there be adequate wiring etc or will I need to get something extra? Thanks again for the help <3:D

It should come with all wires. Are you going to be using the HDDs in raid?

Forgot PSU :O Gonna add it to order now though. And I honestly am not sure :/ I tried looking up the difference but in the middle of studying for LC :/ Care to explain / Recommend?

Wikipedia wrote:
    RAID 0
    RAID 0 comprises striping (but no parity or mirroring). This level provides no data redundancy nor fault tolerance, but improves performance through parallelism of read and write operations across multiple drives. RAID 0 has no error detection mechanism, so the failure of one disk causes the loss of all data on the array.[9]
    RAID 1
    RAID 1 comprises mirroring (without parity or striping). Data are written identically to two (or more) drives, thereby producing a "mirrored set". The read request is serviced by any of the drives containing the requested data. This can improve performance if data is read from the disk with the least seek latency and rotational latency. Conversely, write performance can be degraded because all drives must be updated; thus the write performance is determined by the slowest drive. The array continues to operate as long as at least one drive is functioning.[9]
    RAID 2
    RAID 2 comprises bit-level striping with dedicated Hamming-code parity. All disk spindle rotation is synchronized and data is striped such that each sequential bit is on a different drive. Hamming-code parity is calculated across corresponding bits and stored on at least one parity drive.[9] This level is of historical significance only. Although it was used on some early machines (e.g. the Thinking Machines CM-2),[15] it is only recently used by high-performance commercially available systems.[16]
    RAID 3
    RAID 3 comprises byte-level striping with dedicated parity. All disk spindle rotation is synchronized and data is striped such that each sequential byte is on a different drive. Parity is calculated across corresponding bytes and stored on a dedicated parity drive.[9] Although implementations exist,[17] RAID 3 is not commonly used in practice.
    RAID 4
    RAID 4 comprises block-level striping with dedicated parity. This level was previously used by NetApp, but has now been largely replaced by a proprietary implementation of RAID 4 with two parity disks, called RAID-DP.[18]
    RAID 5
    RAID 5 comprises block-level striping with distributed parity. Unlike in RAID 4, parity information is distributed among the drives. It requires that all drives but one be present to operate. Upon failure of a single drive, subsequent reads can be calculated from the distributed parity such that no data is lost. RAID 5 requires at least three disks.[9] RAID 5 is seriously affected by the general trends regarding array rebuild time and chance of failure during rebuild.[19] In August 2012, Dell posted an advisory against the use of RAID 5 in any configuration and of RAID 50 with "Class 2 7200 RPM drives of 1 TB and higher capacity".[20]
    RAID 6
    RAID 6 comprises block-level striping with double distributed parity. Double parity provides fault tolerance up to two failed drives. This makes larger RAID groups more practical, especially for high-availability systems, as large-capacity drives take longer to restore. As with RAID 5, a single drive failure results in reduced performance of the entire array until the failed drive has been replaced.[9] With a RAID 6 array, using drives from multiple sources and manufacturers, it is possible to mitigate most of the problems associated with RAID 5. The larger the drive capacities and the larger the array size, the more important it becomes to choose RAID 6 instead of RAID 5.[21] RAID 10 also minimizes these problems.[22]

Lots of info there!!
    Will get you straight a's in your exams.

Lots of info there!!
    Will get you straight a's in your exams.

Hahaha sound, seemed to do the trick. I'm honestly not too sure. I understand it but don't quite see much of a point? Would you recommend I do so? And if you do, why? But think I'd rather have two separate storage devices unless there is a significant difference

I'm not sure either, it probably would have been easier to just get a two tb hdd

I'm not sure either, it probably would have been easier to just get a two tb hdd

Ah well, It's all and experience :D And I have other uses for it anyways, worst case scenario :D Cheers for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

go for twin frozr gtx 770! very silent even when in operation, I got mine on komplett!

crazydom wrote: »
    go for twin frozr gtx 770! very silent even when in operation, I got mine on komplett!

Hey thanks for the reply but I ended up building this weeks ago! I went for Gigabytes GTX770 3x OC and it is an absolute beast, I have yet to make it lag running anything on highest settings.. Delighted with it

Also incase anyone is reading this in the future, in regards to the HD I didn't use raid or anything they're both recognised as storage devices. Just needed an extra sata cable, totaling 4. 2 come with the motherboard though.

Advertisement