Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible scam?

• 28-05-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

I had a car for sale on gumtree. Got a reply from someone wanting to pay by paypal. I refused and said cash only. He said that he will pay me before someone comes to pick up the car. I said that I want paid 24 hours before someone comes and that he should inspect the car because I can't do a refund after the money enters my account.

He was fine with that and is prepared to transfer the money ASAP.

This wasn't the usual scam message, he asked questions about the car etc. and had specific info in the emails.
    I will call paypal tomorrow and ask if I go ahead with this can I withdraw the money right away or could their be any issues.

Usually I wouldn't bother but I can't see how I can be ripped off here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

100% scam. Why would anyone blindly purchase a car
    He said that he will pay me before someone comes to pick up the car.

He will likely use a compromised paypal and or credit card account, you will be minus the car with zero to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

100% scam. Why would anyone blindly purchase a car

He will likely use a compromised paypal and or credit card account, you will be minus the car with zero to show.

The car isn't driving and selling it cheap.

So what happens if I withdraw the money before handing over the keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

The car isn't driving and selling it cheap.

So what happens if I withdraw the money before handing over the keys?

You won't be able to, either you will become liable for the money you withdraw or else the money will be unavailable to. Tell him cash only, if he is getting someone to come look at it they can bring cash, if not tell him to clear off, if he is a genuine seller cash will not be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

PayPal will still come after u u think PayPal will lose out on money.. They will refund the person and then come after u for the mine they refunded the man, and infact they can automaticity take it out of your PayPal account and if it's not in your PayPal account it will still come out and be taken out of your bank account.

You won't be able to, either you will become liable for the money you withdraw or else the money will be unavailable to. Tell him cash only, if he is getting someone to come look at it they can bring cash, if not tell him to clear off, if he is a genuine seller cash will not be a problem.

He said that he has someone with a transporter to lift it but that that company cannot "buy" the car for him, they can only lift the car.

Usually I just ignore this sort of email but I cant see how I can lose out (other than paypal blocking me from removing the money)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

He said that he has someone with a transporter to lift it but that that company cannot "buy" the car for him, they can only lift the car.

Usually I just ignore this sort of email but I cant see how I can lose out (other than paypal blocking me from removing the money)
    I think he can do some kind of a chargeback on PayPal afterwards. I'd suggest telling him that he can transfer the money into your account instead.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd suggest telling him that he can transfer the money into your account instead.

To my bank account?
    Doesn't that take a while to clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

id be asking why he cant pay in cash tbh

To my bank account?
    Doesn't that take a while to clear?
    You're up North, aren't you? Have a look at this, i've never done it myself but it looks like it might suit: http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/payment_options/chaps/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tell you'll accept bank transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

tell him to send you the money by Western Union...you can withdraw it in cash and there is no comeback (in the sameway as you would not want to PAY for something by WU!)

Its a scam, dont touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Wow. I can't believe people are still falling for stuff like this, even if the scammers are using "different" lingo.

He'll either be using a hacked PayPal account/Credit Card, which he'll use to send the money. This will then be noticed and the Fraud dept will refund the other user and reverse the transaction from your side also leaving you out of pocket.
    Or else the buyer himself will use some sort of Chargeback loophole to get the money back himself and also leave you out of pocket.

Either way it screams absolute scam, so steer well clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

Don't be a fool....cash is king!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

dar83 wrote: »
    Wow. I can't believe people are still falling for stuff like this, even if the scammers are using "different" lingo.

He'll either be using a hacked PayPal account/Credit Card, which he'll use to send the money. This will then be noticed and the Fraud dept will refund the other user and reverse the transaction from your side also leaving you out of pocket.
    Or else the buyer himself will use some sort of Chargeback loophole to get the money back himself and also leave you out of pocket.

Either way it screams absolute scam, so steer well clear!

But what is in that for the scammer???

Surely if it's a scam he won't want to actually take the car??? He'd be looking for money to go his way or something?

This could be legit. There is nothing too good to be true about it albeit it's a bit unusual.

But what is in that for the scammer???

Surely if it's a scam he won't want to actually take the car??? He'd be looking for money to go his way or something?

This could be legit. There is nothing too good to be true about it albeit it's a bit unusual.
    While I wouldn't be comfortable doing it this way, I don't think it necessarily screams 'scam' either. It could be, for example, that the buyer wants to retain control over the money until they've examined the car. Not good, but not necessarily a scam either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

You come on for advice and disagree with everyone so heres my advice, sell him your car and come back next week and let us all know how ya got on ;)

By the way iv bought and sold cars in similar ways before ya just have to be careful

Advertisement