Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Highest Paid Person's Opinion: does it exist?

• 23-08-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Here's what Highest Paid Person's Opinion is: where there is a dispute among a group of people and there is no general agreement, the highest paid or wealthiest person in that group can have the final decision.

It happens in some countries and some Silicon Valley corporations. However, does this situation happen in Irish society, especially at the grass-roots level?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 HandsomeJonny

Very common where I work. Peers cannot reach a decision. Escalate to Managment. Decision met. Project proceeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Here's what Highest Paid Person's Opinion is: where there is a dispute among a group of people and there is no general agreement, the highest paid or wealthiest person in that group can have the final decision.

It happens in some countries and some Silicon Valley corporations. However, does this situation happen in Irish society, especially at the grass-roots level?

My guess is that it happens in just about any company in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

I would say that this could be an issue in countries with a high power distance index (how large a factor a social hierarchy plays in interactions between people of a certain culture) but Ireland was rated in the bottom five on the scale so I doubt it features too heavily in Irish society. I've personally never come across it myself.

http://www.clearlycultural.com/geert-hofstede-cultural-dimensions/power-distance-index/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In a professional capacity, within an organisation, this is basically the way all decisions are reached, in my experience. AKA: Pulling Rank. The only exception I can think of is in the case of a mixed team of clients and contractors, the client gets final say, he who pays the piper picks the tune after all.

Outside of work it's different though, if I have a disagreement with my mates over what pub to go to it usually comes down to who makes the first suggestion or shouts loudest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So the Dail marches across to Brown Thomas when they need a decision made?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Outside the corporate world?

Lol.

Advertisement