Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wentworth Miller declines Russian Film Festival Invite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

keith16 wrote: »
    I need it to be known that I just don't care and that is a valid response in many cases.

Yes if they're telling you directly but threads are an opt-in type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

keith16 wrote: »
    Sometimes I do. I need it to be known that I just don't care and that is a valid response in many cases.

Like when someone mentions that Stephen Fry has farted, they need to be told it's something I don't care about.

Nail on the head. It's called an opinion and mine is I couldn't care less about it. You can either like it or leave it but my disinterest in the story doesn't exclude me from stating a personal viewpoint on it. It's a forum after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Yes if they're telling you directly but threads are an opt-in type of thing.

Not if they are....dole threads for example. They are so frequent, they are ruining the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nail on the head. It's called an opinion and mine is I couldn't care less about it. You can either like it or leave it but my disinterest in the story doesn't exclude me from stating a personal viewpoint on it. It's a forum after all.

It would make for a messy forum if people posted their disinterest on all threads they have a disinterest in. Unless they are endeavouring to achieve another outcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

efb wrote: »
    It would make for a messy forum if people posted their disinterest on all threads they have a disinterest in. Unless they are endeavouring to achieve another outcome

Pretty much the same as a spoiled vote. No interest in the topic but wanting to register your disinterest all the same. Anyway, nothing more to say on this so ill leave ye to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I can see Mother Russia crumbling because of one nearly unknown member of the acting profession unwilling to attend some television/movie award.

Pretty much the same as a spoiled vote. No interest in the topic but wanting to register your disinterest all the same. Anyway, nothing more to say on this so ill leave ye to it.

I wouldn't call spoiling your vote as registering a disinterest more expressing a dissatisfaction with the establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm sure an opinion can be teased out eventually. If they really didnt care they wouldnt post. What drew them to the topic?

The pointless of it and, to a degree, the hypocrisy of it. Like I said earlier, if enough people genuinely cared the sponsors would drop like flies. That hasn't happened and I'd be willing to bet it won't. The majority of the support is just lip service really. And I do believe that many of these people would happily go to Doha or Dubai for a sun holiday if it was offered.

It's just another online campaign that's become a cause celebre for a few minutes and will probably be forgotten by February or very soon after. I wonder how many people stopped shopping at Primark after the collapse in Bangladesh earlier this year? How much difference did the only campaigns make? **** all, because the unsafe factories are still being worked in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I always find when I don't give a **** about something I just don't read or post to the thread.

How do you know you don't "give a **** about something" unless you read it first ?

And by the way - I never said I don't give a toss.

I simply said most people "couldn't care less" about the outrage of Wentworth Miller and refered to Stephen Fry as he had some recent input into the same discussion.

Its a simple fact that people in their day to day lives don't care less about LGBT rights in Russia. Its not something that plays on the mind of most hetrosexual people. We know the Russian's record in human rights isn't something to write home about, but you can point to most spots on the globe and say the same thing. But we can't live every waking hour of out lives fretting over gay rights. It doesn't mean we're anti gay or homophobic.

We just have our own lives to live and we're not going to drop everything because some actor has found a publicity seeking cause to latch on to.

But we have as much right to care less as you have to give a toss.

Some find that difficult to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Of course you have a right not to care - but I don't see the point in you feeling the need to let people know this, and I suspect you do care some bit otherwise you wouldn't post. That's also just an opinion.

I know I won't care about what a thread is about by reading the title or the opening post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Let it be hereby noted, to whom it may concern, etc, etc, that I, endacl, give a ****. Speaking only for myself of course, fair play to Wentworth Millar.

Edit: Forgot to mention, yeah. Prison Break was crap.

Of course you have a right not to care - but I don't see the point in you feeling the need to let people know this, and I suspect you do care some bit otherwise you wouldn't post. That's also just an opinion.

I know I won't care about what a thread is about by reading the title or the opening post.

Because if people like me didn't let people like you know that people like me don't give a toss, then people like you would think that everyone gives a toss.

And not everyone gives a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lapin wrote: »
    Because if people like me didn't let people like you know that people like me don't give a toss, then people like you would think that everyone gives a toss.
    What other threads that you don't give a toss about, have you commented on this evening?

Interesting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

No I wouldn't. I'm really not so stupid as to think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This is only addressing a symptom of the whole human rights problem in Putin's Russia.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

endacl wrote: »
    What other threads that you don't give a toss about, have you commented on this evening?

Interesting.......

Most of the threads on After Hours don't merit a response.

This one did. Because there was an inherent assumption that everyone should give a toss.

I'm simply saying that most people don't.

If an Aston Villa fan opened a thread here asking why their team won't win the league this year, they would be told to sod off to the soccer forum, but you can be sure it would get a response from non Villa supporters first.

Why should a LGBT thread be any different ?

Most of the threads on After Hours don't merit a response.

This one did. Because there was an inherent assumption that everyone should give a toss.

I'm simply saying that most people don't.

If an Aston Villa fan opened a thread here asking why their team won't win the league this year, they would be told to sod off to the soccer forum, but you can be sure it would get a response from non Villa supporters first.

Why should a LGBT thread be any different ?

An inherent assumption made by whom?

An inherent assumption made by whom?

You.

Insert a an article favourable to your own thoughts and views.

Then post 4 words.

"Fair play to Wentworth"

Its fair to assume you had an inherit assumption that people would agree with your sentiment there.

No it's not. I don't know what mental aerobics you used to jump to that conclusion.

No it's not. I don't know what mental aerobics you used to jump to that conclusion.

The volume of posts challenging my tenacity to express an opinion that differs to yours is a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He can't act for sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The volume of posts challenging my tenacity to express an opinion that differs to yours is a start.

Have you been drunk this entire time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

He can't act for sh1t.

Finally someone has said it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wentworth, if I remember correctly has a white mother and a black father. And his dad is totally black. Yet they produce this white guy with blue eyes. Obama, half black, black guy. Wentworth, half black, white guy. Genes are amazing things.

I'm pretty sure I didn't hallucinate all of this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Loads do. Maybe these pointless "I don't care" posts that some people appear to think look really sharp of them could be done away with in AH and "Yore ma" brought back?
    Because "Yore ma" posts are certainly a far, far better contribution.

I think it's important to say "I don't care" - stephen fry has brought this whole thing into the frame and we are being bombarded by the story in the media (and forums) so it's pretty much in my face with people saying "go Stephen".

Saying "i don't care" is valid it's a standing against the back slapping of fry (and now miller) .
    to show that it's not a universal gung-ho assault on russia or putin.

there is a difference between that and posting "i don't care" on some petty thread on "nigerian hairdo's paid for by the state shocker".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Honestly - we don't care that you don't care

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Fair play to him.
    Principles are meaningless unless you stand up for them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Finally someone has said it

But he's pretty.
    He is a one dimensional actor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

But he's pretty.

Excuse you! He is exceedingly pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I say fair play to him, the more pressure on Russia about this the better.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement