Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Social Protection minister Joan Burton will be there this evening. I'm expecting some announcement stating that we are still a very rich country to be able to afford such big boats and bunting and tents and bridges..and therefore we can suffer more austere measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Fcuk the weather just listened to Pat Clarke from Met Eireann on Keith Finnegans show and its not looking good, there may be some chance of the weather settling down by thursday or friday week but before that its rain and unsettled weather with no sign of Summer temperatures. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

BESman wrote: »
    Just me or does the docks area still look a bit like there's nothing happening in two days time?? I know a lot of the equipment and stalls will be put up over the next day or two but I would have kind of thought the place would be pretty much complete by now.

Also, not to be a negative nelly, but there is just no way this will be as good as 2009. Even with clear skies promised later in the week, there won't be the heatwave we got last time and I think the sort of surprise element (at least for me and other uninformed souls) with 2009 is definitely not going to be repeated as there is an incredible amount of hype being associated with the event this time around. That said, I hope it's a great success and I will certainly be making the most of it.

Id say it will all come together in the next few hours, with all the individual stalls being erected. It just needs people to fill it up.

no offence re. your second paragraph, but we live on the West of Ireland where we cannot even plan a 3 hour bbq because of rain - you can do two things - think that unless the sun is splitting the rocks, nothing will be any good, or concede that rain is a given in the West of Ireland and carry on with a good time regardless.

Rain is a fact here in Galway - don't let it dictate what you can and cannot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The course for Leg 9 has been released...

On leaving Lorient, the fleet must first sail south, leaving Ile de Groix and Belle Ile, small islands in the Bay of Biscay, to starboard before charging north west towards the next waypoint -- Fastnet Rock.

The iconic landmark, renowned among sailors, is the most southerly point of Ireland, and must be left to port.

Once round the rock, the fleet will likely face strong westerly breeze and huge seas as they pass Blasket Island on the south-west tip of Ireland.

From there it’s a straight run up to the Aran Islands, a set of three islands marking the entrance to Galway bay that boast 200-metre tall cliffs, making the most of the strong currents that accelerate round the many headlands.

Eiragh lighthouse, at the north-western end of the Aran Islands, must be left to starboard before the fleet turn east and head for the finish line in Galway Bay (off Mutton Island I presume).

ratracer wrote: »
    On the radio this morning Keith Finnegan said that with the winds the way they are, the boats could be arriving as early as 03.00 Hrs tuesday morning. I feel another all nighter coming on....

Might be even earlier !

This leg is just 550 miles long and considering that Camper did 566 nautical miles in a 24 hour period, during the storm on the last leg, we may have a very early finish.

The predicted winds are from a direction which is very favourable for fast transit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Met.ie

"The weather for early next week will again be very unsettled. Heavy showers or prolonged spells of showery rain will once more break out across Ireland during Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with torrential downpours again occurring in places. However there are signs that the weather will be much drier for the second half of next week, with temperatures rising into the low twenties towards the weekend."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

snubbleste wrote: »
    Social Protection minister Joan Burton will be there this evening. I'm expecting some announcement stating that we are still a very rich country to be able to afford such big boats and bunting and tents and bridges..and therefore we can suffer more austere measures.

Rotten fruit already packed in my bag for her speech. :D

TV coverage of the race on TG4 over the next few days...

SATURDAY 30 JUNE
    12:45pm LIVE Volvo Ocean Race
    Live coverage of the In-Port Race from Lorient, France.

SUNDAY 1 JULY
    12:45pm LIVE Volvo Ocean Race
    Live coverage of the start of Leg 9, which see’s the boats depart Lorient and make their way to Galway.

MONDAY 2 JULY
    7:30pm Volvo Ocean Race
    Highlights from the start of Leg 9, which see’s the boats depart Lorient and make their way to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Met.ie

"The weather for early next week will again be very unsettled. Heavy showers or prolonged spells of showery rain will once more break out across Ireland during Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with torrential downpours again occurring in places. However there are signs that the weather will be much drier for the second half of next week, with temperatures rising into the low twenties towards the weekend."

Translation: "We don't f**kin know what the weather will be like so we'll just give yez the best of both worlds"

Thanks so much for the info. I'll try to head down on saturday for the race as I've really been looking forward to this for a good while.
    I'll probably have to leave early to get there in time to find a parking spot and such I guess...

Would you be able to see the race from the dock?

I'm not sure where exactly the in-port race is at this stage, but it is likely to be off Salthill, which you cannot see from the docks.

You will need binoculars unless you can blag your way onto one of the spectator boats.

Anywhere on the Salthill prominade, Mutton Island or the cliffs on the spit of land beyond the golfcourse should be good viewpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'll probably have to leave early to get there in time to find a parking spot and such I guess...

Lots of parking at the park-and-ride in Ballybrit - details here.

• Just staring out my window now and there seems to be a fleet of what looks like Mr. Whippy/food vans on the far side, down by the Harbour Hotel. I'm intrigued. Each time I look out there seems to be more and more vans/stalls arriving. Regardless of the weather, can't wait to get my chow on down there.

Just staring out my window now and there seems to be a fleet of what looks like Mr. Whippy/food vans on the far side, down by the Harbour Hotel. I'm intrigued. Each time I look out there seems to be more and more vans/stalls arriving. Regardless of the weather, can't wait to get my chow on down there.

yes I can't wait for the prawn stall (remember that last time) to arrive - and the fresh fruit stall. yumee.

It starts tomorrow noon I think so I'll be down there for my lunch every day till it ends.

Just staring out my window now and there seems to be a fleet of what looks like Mr. Whippy/food vans on the far side, down by the Harbour Hotel. I'm intrigued. Each time I look out there seems to be more and more vans/stalls arriving. Regardless of the weather, can't wait to get my chow on down there.

Agreed. Even if the weather does turn on us, thats when the Irish come into their own and try to have an even better time, it'll be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Comon give us a hint if you know, prop or rotor aircraft put it out there so people will know, no point in keeping it under wraps. Who cares about the gaaw shower.

Given the standard of the bands playing, it's probably a bloody paper aeroplane.

yes I can't wait for the prawn stall (remember that last time) to arrive.

Was that the "prawnee" stall?? Glorified crab sticks IMO.

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Was that the "prawnee" stall?? Glorified crab sticks IMO.

no these were king prawns - they were fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

That won't be there this year as all the catering is being done under one contract, which has been awarded to Masterchef hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Given the standard of the bands playing, it's probably a bloody paper aeroplane.

LOL the only 2 acts I will see are Maverick Sabre and Ryan Sheridan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

What events are on today then?

• Advertisement

Shane St. wrote: »
    What events are on today then?

3pm
    Employment and Advice Fair (until 8pm) in Global Village, Global Arena

4.45pm
    Joan Burton TD, Minister for Social Protection, attends the Employment and Advice Fair in Global Village, Global Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

GastroBoy wrote: »
    3pm
    Employment and Advice Fair (until 8pm) in Global Village, Global Arena

4.45pm
    Joan Burton TD, Minister for Social Protection, attends the Employment and Advice Fair in Global Village, Global Arena

Joan's message: Employment: There is none. Joan's Advice: go to Aus!

squonk wrote: »
    Joan's message: Employment: There is none. Joan's Advice: go to (gasp for air) Aus!

fyp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Got down there to take a few pics just a few minutes ago, the place is buzzing, sound checks and the likes all being done at the moment, LOADS of food stalls on Dock Road, Cé na Mara side and Harbour Hotel side. more available on my blog (which was mentioned on Volvo Ocean Race Galway's Facebook page :D)

DSCF5385.JPG

DSCF5397.JPG

DSCF5406.JPG

I'll try get more up around the times I'm working this weekend, otherwise, enjoy the start of the festival folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The bridge looks horrible! It's like they brought in a load a different sections and hoped it would fit together. It looks awful, to be honest. There were two gaps in the bridge, too. If anyone has seen it you'd get me. The first sections extends out to the edge of the platform. The next section extends out from the other side of the platform so there's a gap between the two sections...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

What time/ day are the yachts due in to Galway? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

scully74 wrote: »
    What time/ day are the yachts due in to Galway? Thanks
    afaik, the first guess was between 6am to 6pm on Tuesday (3rd). Now, it's being said they could arrive as early as Monday (2nd) night (says, Galway Advertiser).

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

When Sunday comes we should have a pretty accurate window as to when they will be arriving. Wind is not as predictable as everything thinks unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ratracer

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The bridge looks horrible! It's like they brought in a load a different sections and hoped it would fit together. It looks awful, to be honest. There were two gaps in the bridge, too. If anyone has seen it you'd get me. The first sections extends out to the edge of the platform. The next section extends out from the other side of the platform so there's a gap between the two sections...

There are serious problems with the bridge, some frantic welding still going on at the moment...one section is too short for the support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Is there anyone who received an invite to the Volvo pavilion Sunday who has RSVP'd, I'm going and am just wondering what time it starts and what to expect

Went to the unveiling of the s60 in the newly opened Aviva at the time and there was free wine and food along with a tour of the stadium, also met some of the rugby players on the national side

Anyone know what to expect at the pavilion Sunday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement