Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repairing Credit Rating

Options
  • 27-04-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Over the last few years I have had a reckless attitude to finaces due to a gambling problem. I have now tackled this and want to try and get my finances back on track. I have cleared all loans cancelled credit cards and am now in a position to put 1400 p.m aside. I know theres no quick fix to repairing credit would it be more beneficial to spread the money around a few accounts or leave it in the bank I get paid in to try and build up a relationship with them. Like for the benefit of a small diff in percent would it be worth saving elsewhere or stick with my bank regardless of rate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 itsyourmoney.ie: Aine

The main thing with your credit rating is not whether you start saving (though that will obviosuly be a must if applying for a mortgage etc) but how you operated your loans. If you missed any payments, details of that stay on your Irish Credit Bureau file for 5 years after the loan is closed.

You can read more info. on your credit history here - http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&3nID=654&4nID=654&5nID=654&6nID=666&7nID=666&8nID=666&pID=666&nID=673

As regards savings, as long as your have statements to show your savings, that's what any bank would look for if you're applying for a loan. Note that the ICB only records info re. loans - not savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭infamous

Thanks Aine, ive missed plenty of payments etc so basically it will be 5 years before I could even consider applying for a mortgage regardless of whatever savings I have. Would it be beneficial to take out a loan and pay it as per conditions or would this have any affect on credit rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 itsyourmoney.ie: Aine

infamous wrote: »
    Thanks Aine, ive missed plenty of payments etc so basically it will be 5 years before I could even consider applying for a mortgage regardless of whatever savings I have. Would it be beneficial to take out a loan and pay it as per conditions or would this have any affect on credit rating

As long as the missed payments are up there it will still be a factor. It all comes down to banks' lending policies. But a strong savings record won't go amiss.

Advertisement