Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poultry Bring & Buy Sale

Options
  • 21-03-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Poultry bring and buy sale.
    Gort Mart, Galway
    Starting at 11am on Sunday the 5th of April.
    For people either wanting to sell or buy poultry

Anyone going?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I think you meant 5th of April?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Oops yes I did, edited now.

Anyone going? I'm going to see if I can get a duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Oh, thanks for letting us know! I am only about 25 minutes from Gort, so I might pop in to see if I can pick up some chicks :D.

It says on the ad

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/birds/874338

that you can't sell any birds under six weeks old so any chicks for sale won't be very young. Hopefully thought there will be a good turnout, we are going to get there early so all the good ducks won't be gone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Yea looking for some farmyard ducks myself. I think they sell eggs at them, if you've an incubator you can hatch them.

What ducks are you looking for? Ive incian runners but not for sale:D

• Advertisement

Are you heading over?

We have an aylesbury duck, they are supposed to be for meat but we keep her for eggs, shes an excellent layer way better then our hens. We are hoping to switch completely over to ducks as the hens die out because they are better layers and lay huge eggs, while the eggs are the exact same as a hens.

We are just looking for a friend for her because a fox got our drake a couple of months ago and now she thinks shes a hen :rolleyes:. We want to get a female of any breed.

Yea im going if only for a look:D I have the form to become a member of that poultry club. Keep meaning to post it. Are the aylesbury the ones that keep quacking? The indian runners are brilliant layers. Used to just have ducks but got hens now. my farmyard ducks served me well. The neighbour told us not to give her son anymore eggs cos he was eating two a night and the smell of him afterward:D:D Ducks lay great eggs and there lovely for baking. Ever eat a bun made of a duck egg? Just something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

Dusty,

I'm interested in getting 4 or 5 hens. I thought Rhode Island Reds were the organgy coloured ones but I was told that they are Hybrid Hens? Are Hybrid Hens the best to give eggs almost daily and is there a particular time of the year to get hens for laying? I'm based in Kilkenny. Anyone know of any marts that sell hens in KK or Tipp or Laois areas?

Hiya,
    theres midland poultry in mountrath laois. Google midlandpoultry. There is a fella in kilkenny who has a big set up, just cant think of his name or website. Its somethin like irishpoultry or something. It may be on a link on midland poultry. The RIR are a darky reddy brown. Id say the ones your on about are commercial layers. There a mix of RIR, sussex (i think), and welsomers. Bread for laying. The midlandpoultry site sells them. It also has info on every breed so you can judge yourself which would suit you best:D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

I was at the sale in Myshal (Carlow) on Sunday there was a huge crowd of people and about 60/70 sellers. A lot of the red Hybrid hens but not very many ducks.

Dusty 87 "Are the aylesbury the ones that keep quacking?"
    The ones that keep Quacking are Call Ducks. Very small and dont lay very many eggs.

2010House, Midland Poultry in Mountrath do a great range of pure breed hens but also stock the Hybrid egg machines (standard red hen) at point of lay.

"There is a fella in kilkenny who has a big set up, just cant think of his name or website. Its somethin like irishpoultry or something"

I think the website your talking about could be IrishFowl in Carlow.

• Advertisement

No its not the call ducks im thinkin of. Its annoyin me so il google it, see can i see them in the images. Yea i think its irishfowl. Its about a year since iv been talking to him though, thanks for that, doing my head in aswell. Never even knew about that sale. Any more coming up other the one mention in op? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

The sale I was at on Sunday is a monthly event. Its always on the last Sunday of every month and is held at Ballykeenan pet farm (Carlow), about 3 miles from Ballon, heading towards Bunclody.

Advertisement