Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I thought everyone knew that the "fresh" fruit and veg are frozen hence the quick expiry when you get them home?

Another urban myth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Graces7 wrote: »
    Another urban myth...

Is not canning veg the best for locking in Nutrients ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

They used to have a crew of stunning polish birds manning the tills at my nearest lidl,alas they literally got marked up,in kilos.Most of them are fairly robust and cranky lookin now.Obviously your gonna find the odd diamond in the dirt but clearly the days of potential playboy centrefolds working in discount supermarkets are well and truly over.Stupid really,the wages are the same and polish stunners would probably take less paid sick leave than folk afflicted with obesity.Quite rightly,the obese community have the right to employment and IT work is often where they excel.Call it discrimination if you like,but you wouldn't shrewd businessmen like Michael o leary or the likes hiring 'plus size' air hostesses.As a feminist,how its allowed carry on without anyone really giving a shíte ticks me off no end.Ive enough to keep me awake as it is.

What a bitter rant in a thread about grocery shopping.

Didn't get laid last night then no?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My family in Canada echo that. The cost of food there is .....:eek:
    No Frills is good, but nothing on Aldi or Lidl. In saying that, factoring in the exchange rate, dunno how better the price would actually equate to.

the_syco wrote: »
    No Frills is good, but nothing on Aldi or Lidl. In saying that, factoring in the exchange rate, dunno how better the price would actually equate to.

My family live on an offshore island which raises prices and lessens choice. But even so. We are so lucky here and that is I think since LIDL arrived? I seem to remember a "Grocery Order" court case soon after I came to Ireland, when LIDL low prices were challenged?

One recent difference we had; I got a huge fresh cauii for just over a euro. Family would have paid over $7 for a small one.

• Advertisement

I thought everyone knew that the "fresh" fruit and veg are frozen hence the quick expiry when you get them home?

Was it the frozen berry thing you were reading? Small berries freeze well and are sold frozen. Try eg putting an apple or banana in the freezer overnight.. and keep an eye on where the fruit and veg are coming from?

And fruit and veg do not keep well and lose their vitamin content if kept too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Holden Crooked Worker

Another urban myth...

Ok not frozen but very heavily chilled. No myth.

• Ok not frozen but very heavily chilled. No myth.

A huge difference and theres nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Magnum washing up liquid

Need a full bottle to bring up a lather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hardly buy anything in Aldi as I just don't like their shops. I'm probably oversensitive to light levels or certain colours or something but there is something that depresses my about all the Aldi stores I have ever been in. I don't get the same feeling in Lidl stores so there must be something different.

In the UK we used to live near a huge 36 checkout Sanisburys which I hated shopping in because I hated the bright fluorescent lighting, so I don't think its just a prejudice against Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭CFlat

I do pretty much all my shopping in my local Lidl, the only thing I wouldn't buy is their mince meat. It's like cotton wool and doesn't get any better when you put in it a bolognase. That's one for my butcher.

The staff are very friendly in my local Lidl and plenty of good looking polish girls, not that that makes any difference. What I love about Lidl is you get the big shopping done in a small shop. I'm not mad about those large warehouse size supermarkets. They freak me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Their ski wear, rather pull some insulation from the attic and wrap myself in cling film.

I don't ski but it always seems to get good revues. I bought a snowboarding jacket, for outside work & it is excellent.

A huge difference and theres nothing wrong with that.

Depends too how far it is travelling; chilling is not heavy or the produce would be marked; and it in fact prolongs fresh life.

And much also depends how you store it at home, surely? My house tends to be cool and things last much longer here.

I am often in LIDL when they first open and love to see the fruit and veg counter being stocked. More so than Aldi but I always get the super6 things there.

All down to personal preference and that is grand and good. I had all 4 supermarkets where I lived before and tesco was the least used. I knew the staff in Dunne;s well but always for fruit and veg it was aldi and lidl
    .. Just have aldi and lidl here so that is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What a bitter rant

Us feminists love a good oul rant,everybody knows that.Seriously tho whoops,the whole thing was said tongue firmly in cheek.That said,ive never seen a chunky air hostess.Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Lidl have this Asian pork stir fry meat at the moment.
    I wouldn't give it to a dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Us feminists love a good oul rant,everybody knows that.Seriously tho whoops,the whole thing was said tongue firmly in cheek.That said,ive never seen a chunky air hostess.Have you?

I wouldn't know. I'm not a feminist (shock and awe :eek: )

Plenty of them. Even on Ryanair! Not just irish either. I think they had to do away with the rule maybe? Weightist or something I dunno.

I do apologise for the getting laid comment. I didn't get laid last night either, which may be why I wasn't very nice :p

I should be in better form tomorrow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There isn't much I wouldn't buy in either place, but Aldi's Diet Cola is just utterly awful, tastes like the 2ltr Tesco Value Cola you'd get for 25p back in the day. Lidl's Diet Cola is fine though...not as nice as Pepsi Max or Diet Coke but good enough, especially considering the price.

Other than that though, happy enough with most of the produce in either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

the_syco wrote: »
    Pretty much nothing. Would love one of them over here in Toronto, though!
    My family in Canada echo that. The cost of food there is .....:eek:

Yes that's true. Badly need some German discounters over here.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Don't by the sanitary towels unless you want a really uncomfortable itch.

Are you sure it the sanitary towels? :pac:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

footwear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Another urban myth...

Sorry to say but its not an urban myth.
    Some fruit can be in transit/storage for up to SIX months before it reaches our shelves.

20 years ago, you couldnt peel an onion in Ireland without bawling.
    Now they are held so long and in such cold temps that 95% of the time the first coupe of layers are transparent/opaque from the cold storage and it has killed any odour the onion had.

Take an onion or carrot from the garden and compare smell taste.
    No comparison.

Isnt JUST lidl/aldi but they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Their butter is not nice at all. I've never liked kraut butter, I've been in the country on 3 separate occasions and have always found the im to be sub par, regardless of the region.

• Their butter is not nice at all. I've never liked kraut butter, I've been in the country on 3 separate occasions and have always found the im to be sub par, regardless of the region.

Here I've only ever seen Irish butter. Look for the EU stamp on the pack and it tells you what country made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Owen Brave Reporter

Do most of my shopping in lidl. Buy bacon joints and chicken there as well but rest of my meat in the butcher's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Veg in Aldi doesn't last pi**ing time, cheap sh**e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Veg in Aldi doesn't last pi**ing time, cheap sh**e

It's not meant to last or be your friend. Buy it cook it, you want friends join Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Lidl vegetables and fruit don't last because they're suffocated in plastic, as are many of Aldi's. I've seen packs of cherries mouldering on their shelves. For that reason I won't buy it. Fruit and vegetables already come in their own natural packaging. It's called the skin or the rind.

My friend bought hot chocolate in Aldi once and it was really nice, and I normally don't like hot chocolate. I've been in there twice to look for it and they don't seem to sell it anymore. They seem to have a funny system of bringing limited edition products out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think Aldi are better than Lidl in terms of the quality of the products. Lidl were fine years ago but the rot started when they started selling big brand products on their shelves with big brand prices.

I think the fruit and veg in Aldi is fine - not as extensive as Tesco but ok nonetheless. Their selection of cooked meats, frozen meats, deli items like olives and cheese are superb. Their chocolate and biscuits are good too. Crisps so so. Their cleaning products are hit and miss but you can do a big shop in Aldi of lots of household goods for far less in terms of price than Tesco, Dunnes or Super

The Irish used to have a real aversion to shopping in Lidl and Aldi when they were new here. Not so much any more.

However, SuperValu excel in their butcher and beef products. I wouldn't cut corners on that. Dunnes own brand products are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

The yellow pack in Tescos were rubbish too.

Advertisement