Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Astramonti, I'm having pretty much the opposite experience with the coombe. I'm so frustrated trying to deal with them I have shed tears. The midwives are great but the way it's being run is awful, whoever is dealing with their physio department is incredibly rude and I've been trying to get my consultant or his secretary on the phone since last Thursday evening.

I'm glad your wife is doing well :) congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Any tips for the day of the birth from fathers here? Expectant dad here, 2 weeks to due date! I know about the massages and breathing and that, but more info the better I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

niallo24 wrote: »
    Any tips for the day of the birth from fathers here? Expectant dad here, 2 weeks to due date! I know about the massages and breathing and that, but more info the better I suppose!

Imo play it by ear and see how mum is coping and act accordingly. She may not be able to look at you while shes in labour or she may need to hold your hand every step of the way, and she probably wont know which way she'll feel until the time comes. I'd let her tell you what she needs from you and then do as she asks- within reason obviously!

I remember my partner trying to make me eat as I hadn't eaten in twenty or so hours but he wouldn't listen to me when I said I couldn't, obviously he was just concerned and looking out for me but in that moment it felt like he wasn't being supportive or understanding of how I was feeling and it was frustrating.

Having said that you may need to be the voice of reason too so its a judgement call but either way listen to what your partner needs and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Do whatever she tells you to do, immediately and without moaning. Anything she says or does in labour is NEVER admissible during an argument; and will remain in the sanctity of the delivery room. :P

On a serious note, make sure you get something to eat early on in proceedings; you may not get the chance later. If you're parking your car, leave a mahoosive bag of coins in the glove compartment for the meter, or sign up for the parking by text thing. Make sure you know where her bags are, and the difference between the labour bag and the hospital bag. Familiarise yourself with the contents of the labour bag, so if she asks you to get her something you can get it quickly. Pack the baby's first outfit (vest, babygro, nappy, hat, mitts etc) in a ziploc bag and put that in the labour bag so you can find it easily when the time comes. Pack a bottle of water with a sports cap; easier to sip on than a normal bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Strongly encourage your partner to read up on tips for dealing with painful contractions like breathing, using a gym ball, taking showers etc. Its not enough for just you to know about them! When my wife got to the very painful contraction stage she knew what to do herself. I was there for her obviously but as we joked about it later if I had been trying to tell her about breathing techniques while she was in the height of it I would of been told in no uncertain terms where to go!?

Also like others said try and plan to eat, bring a packed sandwich! We went in at 10pm when contractions were what we thought close together and baby wasn't born till midday the next day. We packed a few cereal bars and jellies which weren't enough. She was never hungry and couldn't eat anyway but I was near delirious from lack of food and sleep by 10 the next morning, luckily adrenaline kept me going! With regards sleep if you get a chance you should run down to the car for a power nap, assuming it's happening at night time!? I was lucky in that we had a bit of down time after the epidural was given so a nap for 30 mins made me feel a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Thanks all yeah hear you on the listen to my partner and do as she wishes. Kind of what I had in mind anyway, I think a lot of it will just be taking it as it comes, if she wants a massage I will do it, if she wants help with the breathing I will do it.

Will try and have some sandwiches pre made, always hard of course as you are never sure when exactly the baby will decide to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Thanks all yeah hear you on the listen to my partner and do as she wishes. Kind of what I had in mind anyway, I think a lot of it will just be taking it as it comes, if she wants a massage I will do it, if she wants help with the breathing I will do it.

Will try and have some sandwiches pre made, always hard of course as you are never sure when exactly the baby will decide to come!
    My plan is to get someone to go to Tesco for me, meal deals all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Emery Abundant Newscaster

nikpmup wrote: »
    Pack the baby's first outfit (vest, babygro, nappy, hat, mitts etc) in a ziploc bag and put that in the labour bag so you can find it easily when the time come

+1 to this AND familiarise yourself with how to put on a nappy and what order the clothes go on BEFORE the baby is born. I must have drummed it into my OHs head a thousand times "if anything happens, the nappy and clothes are all in the ziploc bag" but it never occurred to me to explain the process of changing and dressing the baby. So when I ended up getting morphine and was totally incapacitated, there was a big panic with my OH staring at the ziploc bag like a cow looking at the moon, not having a clue what to do with the mysterious contents. I eventually managed to talk him through putting the nappy on and immediately conked out, assuming he would figure out the clothing..... Only to be woken up an hour later by him frantically asking me what a babygro was and a nurse shouting at him that the baby would freeze. He had put the short sleeved vest on, put the scratch mittens on the baby's feet and ignored the babygro because he "couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do and it seemed surplus to requirement" :rolleyes: :pac:

Having babysat a lot, I was very familiar with baby care and foolishly never thought to explain the basics to himself, who had never so much as held a newborn before. He got a crash course that evening though and he's a dab hand at it now :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So when I ended up getting morphine and was totally incapacitated, there was a big panic with my OH staring at the ziploc bag like a cow looking at the moon, not having a clue what to do with the mysterious contents. I eventually managed to talk him through putting the nappy on and immediately conked out, assuming he would figure out the clothing..... Only to be woken up an hour later by him frantically asking me what a babygro was and a nurse shouting at him that the baby would freeze. He had put the short sleeved vest on, put the scratch mittens on the baby's feet and ignored the babygro because he "couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do and it seemed surplus to requirement" :rolleyes: :pac:

LOL Mr Postman not the sharpest tool in the shed is he??:P It is all common sense. Not something you would imagine one would need to be shown:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    LOL Mr Postman not the sharpest tool in the shed is he??:P It is all common sense. Not something you would imagine one would need to be shown:pac:

Maybe you had younger siblings?

It's not all common sense. Maybe you knew straight away what to do, but not all first-time parents do.

Sure I only realised about ten hours after my baby was born that his nappy had never been changed, and it should probably be done. After sitting awake staring at him for ten hours! It just never occurred to me. And then I had to get a midwife to show me how to do it, even though - with five younger siblings - I've changed a million nappies.

Sometimes these things don't just come automatically to people - great that it happened that way for you, though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The nurses always helped my partner dress babies :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Emery Abundant Newscaster

They put a nappy on him in the labour suite and swaddled him in a blanket, telling us we could dress him ourselves later. When they moved us up to the post labour ward there wasn't a nurse to be found to help :(
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I'm afraid it's not common sense to someone who has never so much as held a baby before. Imagine, for instance, a man who has little experience with women or womanly things. And imagine giving him a makeup bag full of cosmetics and asking him to pick out an eyelash curler and bottle of foundation. He wouldn't have a clue what he was looking for, never mind how to use them! The thing is, we spent so much time making sure we knew how to use the carseat, open and fold the buggy, put together the crib etc that we never even thought of the most basic thing of all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ah heor!! A baby grow is baby shaped. It is obvious what to do with it :pac:
    I did like the mittens on the feet part:D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Even if you know what to do, common sense can go out the window under pressure! It reminds me of the transition area of a triathlon, in all the excitement there are always a few people who clip on the bike helmet before putting on their t-shirt... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Cant wait to meet the new baba. Girlfriend is fed up being pregnant and I'm fed up waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Not so patiently waiting here too, just gone 38 weeks on our first. Unfortunately had to take a trip to the emergency room yesterday when herself's bloodpressure spike over 170, all good though, some meds and bed rest prescribed. Back to waiting.

Waiting again, herself just went into the operating theatre for an unscheduled cesarean due to pre-eclampsia.

Didn't have to wait so long! Himself out and perfect,screaming his lungs out as a very cute nurse gives him his first bath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Molly Wide Creator

We didn't bathe our 2 for a week. Just a wipe with a damp jclothafter after birth to take off the heavy blood.

After the second one was born I phoned home and was told to leavemmy wife and baby and come home to our 3 year old who was crying and missing his Mammy. Hadn't seen her in 3 days.

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Didn't have to wait so long! Himself out and perfect,screaming his lungs out as a very cute nurse gives him his first bath!
    Congratulations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Tough work this parenting business. My little one is almost four weeks old now. Wasn't prepared for the lack of unbroken sleep. Loving life but totally exhausted. Looking forward to bigger gaps in the feeds so we can all get more sleep.

Anyone know a good parenting book for the first year?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

kronsich wrote: »
    Tough work this parenting business. My little one is almost four weeks old now. Wasn't prepared for the lack of unbroken sleep. Loving life but totally exhausted. Looking forward to bigger gaps in the feeds so we can all get more sleep.

save our sleep is a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Sure you won't have time to read it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

It *will* get easier!

I really liked 'Your baby week by week'

Sensible, easy to read (just read the week relevant to you so no novels to get through), and down to earth advice

tempnam wrote: »
    Sure you won't have time to read it anyway!

He'll be lucky to get time to go to the toilet never mind read a book. But if he's optimistic I could give him all my unread ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

He'll be lucky to get time to go to the toilet never mind read a book. But if he's optimistic I could give him all my unread ones :)
    Or when they get a little older... lucky to ever go to the toilet alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Ah it isn't that bad. Managed nine hours sleep in the last 24. Three hours three times that is. Doesn't really feel like a nights sleep when it's so broken. Have ordered those two books so will have a look.

Gonna try get her into a routine from tomorrow. Apparently activities and a bath between two cluster feeds from 6 pm should give us six hours of a break.

Will let yaz know anyway but six hours sounds amazing!

Ah it isn't that bad. Managed nine hours sleep in the last 24. Three hours three times that is. Doesn't really feel like a nights sleep when it's so broken. Have ordered those two books so will have a look.

Gonna try get her into a routine from tomorrow. Apparently activities and a bath between two cluster feeds from 6 pm should give us six hours of a break.

Will let yaz know anyway but six hours sounds amazing!

Thanks for giving me a laugh :) What activities do you hope to do with a newborn? As for routin...... I won't burst your bubble. I managed 2 hours sleep a night for the first month. Eventually got 4 when I started sleeping downstairs. My eldest didn't grasp that I was exhausted and would come down, jump on my head and say "Hello daddy" he's 4 in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My lad is ten months and still wakes at least twice a night. A long time ago I accepted that I was just never going to sleep well again. That helps, as does wine in copious volumes, and sharing the lie in days. Good luck with the bath/cluster feeds thing. Mine was 20 weeks before he even attempted anything resembling consistency. You can't force it - she will settle into a routine when it suits her.

• Advertisement

Don't hate me but our lad has been sleeping 8 hours a night for at least the last 3 months (he is 5 months now). We feed him at 11 and he doesn't normally wake until 7 (the odd time he will wake at 4 or so but not too often). We're such lucky parents:D

Advertisement