Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10 More Years Of Austerity - John Bruton

• 28-05-2014 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Something to look forward to:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/john-bruton-ireland-faces-10-more-years-of-austerity-budgets-1.1812651

Looks like from his position (not seeking election) that he is talking straight.

"Mr Bruton said the Irish people themselves had passed a referendum on the EU Fiscal Compact treaty which commits Ireland to reducing the debt/GDP ratio from 120 per cent to 60 per cent.

That referendum was passed by an almost two to one margin in 2012."

Couple this with two more E2bn budgets of cuts/savings/tax increases and it's hard to be optimistic.

It's almost refreshing to not hear of turning corners and green shoots.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had forgotten who he was then I seen his picture, ruined my night seeing that areshole again. Jabba the hut head on him with the doom and gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Corvo

*books ticket to Canada*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Great news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/john-bruton-ireland-faces-10-more-years-of-austerity-budgets-1.1812651

Looks like from his position (not seeking election) that he is talking straight.

"Mr Bruton said the Irish people themselves had passed a referendum on the EU Fiscal Compact treaty which commits Ireland to reducing the debt/GDP ratio from 120 per cent to 60 per cent.

Couple this with two more E2bn budgets of cuts/savings/tax increases and it's hard to be optimistic.

I'd say his next call from his brother will be a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Borderfox wrote: »
    I had forgotten who he was then I seen his picture, ruined my night seeing that areshole again. Jabba the hut head on him with the doom and gloom

Well that's really demolished his argument. I was worried but then you said he looked like Jabba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

But...we never had austerity? :confused:

Pre-boom level budgets and hardship for many, yes, but austerity seems to have been redefined because Ireland actually hasn't had it. Or maybe with the apparent redefinition it has? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

If he is keen to get back to massive annual deficits that the workers have to pay back, then he's off his trolley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

John says we haven't experienced austerity yet.

From his Garda guarded mansion in Kildare. Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Corvo wrote: »
    *books ticket to Canada*

When are you heading off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Unfortunately John is symptomatic of the dangerous and lazy group think in Europe that was served a wake up call in the recent elections.

The combination of apathy and protest votes should serve as a wake up call to the EU leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

John says we haven't experienced austerity yet.

From his Garda guarded mansion in Kildare. Probably.

I think, he lives somewhere on Griffith Avenue, so I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lars1916 wrote: »

No he lives in Kildare.

Right next door to me actually. I'm half thinking of getting a few Garda outside the house like he has. Call it keeping up with the Brutons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

His Bro Richard Bruton is the one on Griffith Avenue

jjbrien wrote: »
    His Bro Richard Bruton is the one on Griffith Avenue

But still, they are a nice bunch of lads, are they? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But still, they are a nice bunch of lads, are they? :confused:

No, tbh, they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

I can't abide the man, never could. I always had to switch channels whenever he came on with his smug dopey smile.

Nodin wrote: »
    No, tbh, they aren't.

I know, they are not. I met Richard and John looks like Bertie Ahern with a fake moustache on the picture in that link.

Was just trying to be a bit sarcastic, which is a good way to defeat politicians, who betray the electorate and lie to their very own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Austerity doesn't have to mean the lower earners take most of the burden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

steddyeddy wrote: »

yeah, but somehow, I'm gonna bet it does mean just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

yeah, but somehow, I'm gonna bet it does mean just that.

Exactly. There's no such thing as anti pr pro austerity in a recession. The only disagreement is where that austerity falls.

Exactly. There's no such thing as anti pr pro austerity in a recession. The only disagreement is where that austerity falls.

Whenever I hear a Politician advocating/selling austerity, I always think of Haughey - "We have to tighten our belts" - I always wonder how tight their belts will be tightened. The answer is usually not very. "We" is a wonderfully un-inclusive word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

At the top of the Irish times article it says this "former Taoiseach says only 30 per cent of Irelands debt is from bank bailout" only. really.

What it should say is current chairman of IFSC Ireland says only 30 percent of Irelands debt is from bank bailout. For Bruton to tacitly imply that this figure is insignificant is disingenous. tell the people the truth John and the truth is that a write down of that debt would make a significant difference. And while youre at it have a word to your FG mate Noonan and tell him to release the letter from the former president of the ECB to Brian Lenihan, unilaterally. The ECB have blocked the release of Jean-Claude Trichets letter where its specualted they threatened us that they would cut of our emergency funding if we refused to enter their bailout programme. Its in the national and public interest to release this letter, unilaterally if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

I wonder what austerity Mr Bruton has had to endure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

No he lives in Kildare.

Right next door to me actually. I'm half thinking of getting a few Garda outside the house like he has. Call it keeping up with the Brutons.
    Maybe he has two gaffs

ryan101 wrote: »

Not a feckin iota, and he never will either. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Borderfox wrote: »

I just can't help thinking of his "Donkey Laugh" from Scrap Saturday years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not a feckin iota, and he never will either. :)

He's had his €150k pension reduced to €120k. Merkel will get €75k when she retires. Yep, I wonder why we're broke......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

ryan101 wrote: »

He was on the Sean O'Rourke show this morning saying he can now only afford no more than €300 on body glitter per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it would make a nice change though.

Advertisement