Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steak on a stone

Options
  • 27-05-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭

I mean what's the point. If I wanted to cook my own steak I'd stay at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Birneybau wrote: »

+1

If I wanted an overcooked steak I'd ask the wife to cook.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is it a particularly 'rustic' stone OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

stimpson wrote: »
    +1

If I wanted an overcooked steak I'd ask the wife to cook.

or just take it off the stone quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it's a sad affair when every restaurant makes you have to cook your own steak on a stone. If only there was some other option, like a restaurant that would cook the steak some other way and ask you how you wanted it cooked.

mmmmmmm steak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is it a particularly 'rustic' stone OP?

I imagine one that came from outside anyway. Unless they make their own, in which case God help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

have to say i think it's great.

I like it rare-medium and half the time it comes out well done, or very well done

so on the stone, just take it off, then cook each piece as you cut it, nice and hot every time, and just the way i like it.

ps, i always get a big thick fillet :D

FatherLen wrote: »
    or just take it off the stone quicker.

It's usually overdone by the time it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

It brilliant idea.
    Ya cook your own steak
    Ya pay more the privilege
    Ya get heap of smoke in your and everyone else's eyes

So it great. Soon there will be places where you get to peel and cook your own potatoes and grow the vegetables as well:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I was in the US a year ago in a restaurant that does this. I'd done it in Ireland and thought it was a load of crap so I ordered the chicken.

The chicken came out complete with a stone for me to cook it. WTF?!?

• Advertisement

It brilliant idea.
    Ya cook your own steak

So it great. Soon there will be places where you get to peel and cook your own potatoes and grow the vegetables as well:rolleyes:

Poor Daisy. You shouldn't have to read this :(

not where i go for my nice thick fillet.... comes out basically raw, just seared on both sides

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm with the OP here. I'f I'm paying €20+ for a steak and then extra for sides, I want the fecking thing cooked the way I ordered it and not handed to me uncooked for me to do the work myself.

If I wanted to cook myself a steak I could have bought a better, larger one for less in my local butchers and cooked it in my own kitchen in half the time for less than half the cost. When I got out to eat it's so I can relax and be served, not do some lazy chefs job for him.

It brilliant idea.
    Ya cook your own steak

With a username like that, I'm not surprised by your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

stevieob wrote: »
    have to say i think it's great.

I like it rare-medium and half the time it comes out well done, or very well done

so on the stone, just take it off, then cook each piece as you cut it, nice and hot every time, and just the way i like it.
    I like my steak done a particular way too, often a way that chefs don't comply with, but most of these restaurants it's dark so ya can't see how far along your steak is anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When I was up young we used to cook steak on the back of a turf spade in the bog. Now that was yum!

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I was in the US a year ago in a restaurant that does this. I'd done it in Ireland and thought it was a load of crap so I ordered the chicken.

The chicken came out complete with a stone for me to cook it. WTF?!?

A full chicken? Would take fecking hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It's about the experience and the awm beeeeeee awwwwwwwnce

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

You need to hit up a Korean restaurant sometime. You sit crosslegged on the floor, griddle in the middle of the table, they serve you up a bowl of kimchi and a tray of raw meat and, go your hardest.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Stone steak is sooo winter 2014, you all need to keep up with the times, culinary philistines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

mike_ie wrote: »
    You need to hit up a Korean restaurant sometime. You sit crosslegged on the floor, griddle in the middle of the table, they serve you up a bowl of kimchi and a tray of raw meat and, go your hardest.... :D

If you want a doggy bag in Korea you have to buy a licence for it.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I like my steak done a particular way too, often a way that chefs don't comply with, but most of these restaurants it's dark so ya can't see how far along your steak is anyway.

was in the Elephant and Castle a couple months back, asked for Fillet steak medium. To say it came out very very very well done is an understatement. I don't normally send food back but it was sooooo bad I had to.

What happened next....... the very same. I got 3, yes THREE, steaks that day, and the third one was still pretty well done but I was just pissed off at that stage, so didn't bother with it, and most certainly didn't pay

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Poor Daisy. You shouldn't have to read this :(

Is this a first? A sensitive and caring Führer Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Eh you put it on the stone raw and then cook it to your own liking :confused:

Stone steak is sooo winter 2014, you all need to keep up with the times, culinary philistines.

So, jump in the time machine and...?

A full chicken? Would take fecking hours.

and that's without having to pluck it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm with the OP here. I'f I'm paying €20+ for a steak and then extra for sides, I want the fecking thing cooked the way I ordered it and not handed to me uncooked for me to do the work myself.

If I wanted to cook myself a steak I could have bought a better, larger one for less in my local butchers and cooked it in my own kitchen in half the time for less than half the cost. When I got out to eat it's so I can relax and be served, not do some lazy chefs job for him.
    What kind of a moron are you? Don't eat in that kind of a restaurant if it's not what you want. It's a pretty simple concept but it seems lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cooking your own food on a hot stone was all the rage 20 years ago too, although maybe not in Ireland, I don't know I wasn't here then. I'm surprised it made a come back, it was a crap idea then, and it's a crap idea now.

Is this a first? A sensitive and caring Führer Mod.
    Effects wrote: »
    What kind of a moron are you? Don't eat in that kind of a restaurant if it's not what you want. It's a pretty simple concept but it seems lost on you.

A thread about steak, STEAK; and people have already resorted to digs at mods and name calling on the first page. STEAK.

Seriously people. STEAK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

An old aunt of mine, Joan, had a terrible experience of a stake in France. To say she was well done is an understatement.

Advertisement