Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This has the Gorilla glass. Would you get a screen protector for it aswell? Any point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BostonB wrote: »
    This has the Gorilla glass. Would you get a screen protector for it aswell? Any point?

Gorilla glass does scratch. You'll get away without a screen protector if you get a proper rubber skin and be careful which pocket you keep it in, avoid keys and coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Bought this phone there yesterday. My first smartphone so not too sure if I should do the whole unlocking and root stuff. Maybe I should, but don't wanna ruin the phone!

I got ics on it and it is a a brand new phone - much better one...

Just follow simple steps from this link

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355851-ics-found-u8815-b927-rom/
    This is pure ics with no voda addons and cr@p.
    Remember to restart the phone after the update...

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Gorilla glass does scratch. You'll get away without a screen protector if you get a proper rubber skin and be careful which pocket you keep it in, avoid keys and coins.

Thats definate yes then. I'll have to go get one.

What cases/protectors is anyone else using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Thats definate yes then. I'll have to go get one.

What cases/protectors is anyone else using?

Bought this case here from the UK, delivery took 3 days and is really nice, non slip and solid case. Recommended.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180921791625?var=480173785600&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_775wt_1270

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

donmeister wrote: »
    Bought this case here from the UK, delivery took 3 days and is really nice, non slip and solid case. Recommended.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180921791625?var=480173785600&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_775wt_1270

Great case.Got it straight away & I find the grip is excellent while the case itself is very slim & fits really well.

Does it have a screen protector.

Does it have a screen protector.

If you get the case mentioned above then you get a screen protector with it. There isn't one included out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Will there be any issues unlocking this phone and using it on 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

When I unlock phone is there any way to debrand it without rooting it?
    Any idiots/beginners guides?
    I'm also wondering if the new ics is worth changing to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

kindalen wrote: »
    When I unlock phone is there any way to debrand it without rooting it?
    Any idiots/beginners guides?
    I'm also wondering if the new ics is worth changing to?
    Even if there is a way, there's no reason not to. Rooting is easy and un-rooting is even easier. Check out Modacao for guides. I can't remember the exact thread, but there's a guide there where you literally just connect your phone and run a batch file and your done.

It's worth pointing out that ICS is still not available here officially for the 8815. All the custom roms available are based on B926/927 which are Chinese roms for the 8818. That said I've had ics on mine for a couple of weeks now and it's so much better than gb. You will have to install 926 or 927 first anyway if you go for the Infusion rom k123456 linked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

how long b4 vodafone ota ics

i bought the vodafone case in haste - i should have realised from previous experience they're not practical for browsing

had to go and order the one above today off ebay:eek:

It's rumoured to be arriving in August. Unless it includes proper 2D OpenGL or is actually JellyBean instead, there's no reason to wait in my opinion. Unless you want the Vodafone bloat.

kindalen wrote: »
    Will there be any issues unlocking this phone and using it on 3?
    My phone is:
    Unlocked
    Rooted
    With ics rom

And running on three sim card very well. All the settings appeared automatically, no manual input required.

You will have a problems with network jumping between 2g and 3g and loosing signal. You need to then type *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and hit phone options and change network settings to wcdma only. Unless you happy with no 3g then don't bother with it.

*#*#4636#*#* this code works with most of android phones.

Thanks iwo. Might pm you tomorrow with some questions if that's ok?
    Never did any mods on a phone before.

No problem, unlocking is very easy anyway. Root is not necessary and upgrading to ics mega easy. Give me a shout tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

iwo wrote: »
    No problem, unlocking is very easy anyway. Root is not necessary and upgrading to ics mega easy. Give me a shout tomorrow.

did you unlock it yourself or did you pay for a code? Seriously thinking of picking one of these up as a spare to my Galaxy Nexus

I got the unlock sim code for something like 7euro on ebay, i can PM details if you wish.

• Advertisement

I'm considering ICS.
    Are there any obvious advantages to it over GB.
    Also the Modaco threads are a little all over the place with new roms& I'm getting confused.
    What have you guys used & found to be the best.
    Thanks.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I'm considering ICS.
    Are there any obvious advantages to it over GB.
    Also the Modaco threads are a little all over the place with new roms& I'm getting confused.
    What have you guys used & found to be the best.
    Thanks.

Follow this instruction under link below...
    The difference is massive tbh and in any aspect... It is very easy to perform.
    Phone is much faster
    There are no vodafone apps
    Gmail and other apps looks and feel faster/better
    Layout of ics is much better
    Nicer look and widgets
    Better battery management
    And many more....

Phone is much faster
    Nicer look and widgets
    And many more....

Thanks for the info. I'll have a read there. I have the phone rooted so I have already removed the VF apps & the other trial apps. Is it easily reversed I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Updated mine yesterday, went fairly smoothly, I made a full backup with clockword mod and an imei bcakup just in case but all is well, definitely worth doing.
    Best upgrade of all though is thumb keyboard, the huawei keyboard is awful and the ics one isn't a patch on thumb keyboard.
    Now to find a decent flip case for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Phone is much faster
    Nicer look and widgets
    And many more....

how do you make a backup before upgrading

i assume you have to revert back if there's a warranty issue?:confused:

Is an imei backup necessary before putting on this ICS rom? It's just that the link to do this on modaco is not working. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

hi,
    i have rooted and installed atomic mod. i didnt backup rom before the installation.

Question is should i do a back up now and using what? use clockword mod or titanium backup?

Also, anyone know how to check data usage? i've gone thru all the setttings menu but cant see useage count anywhere. I had unchecked any data usage but some app i installed must have changed the settings.

On a side note would like to recommend these apps: cabbage lite (use your free web texts) office suite pro, handy scanner, aTorrent

M cebee wrote: »
    how do you make a backup before upgrading

i assume you have to revert back if there's a warranty issue?:confused:
    You'll have to install ClockworkMod and backup through that. There may be some issues downgrading from an ics based rom to a gb rom though. Thankfully I haven't had to try it but the downgrade method is supposed to be quite nerve-racking!
    Is an imei backup necessary before putting on this ICS rom? It's just that the link to do this on modaco is not working. Thanks
    I would do it just to be safe. In fact you should definitely do a backup before and after you switch to an ics rom because some people have reported that backups from one are not compatible with the other. Is it the link to the app that's not working?
    blueyedson wrote: »
    hi,
    i have rooted and installed atomic mod. i didnt backup rom before the installation.

Question is should i do a back up now and using what? use clockword mod or titanium backup?

Also, anyone know how to check data usage? i've gone thru all the setttings menu but cant see useage count anywhere. I had unchecked any data usage but some app i installed must have changed the settings.

On a side note would like to recommend these apps: cabbage lite (use your free web texts) office suite pro, handy scanner, aTorrent
    They are two different things. Clockwork mod will backup your entire rom, all your apps, all your data and settings. Titanium will backup just your apps (maybe some data too, I don't use it). If you make a Nandroid backup now in clockwork mod you can switch to another rom or whatever and you'll be able to get back to exactly how your phone is now. To get back to stock you'll have to actually re-install the stock rom which shouldn't be too difficult since AtomicMod is still gb.

Which begs the question: are there any differences between a VF UK branded rom and a VF IE branded rom does anyone know? Obviously apn settings are probably different.

Thanks Adyx. Yes its the link to the app that's not working from my phone. Got it copied to a pc so will move it to the phone later.
    Will it have to reroot & load Cwm again after putting ICS on?

• Advertisement

Thanks Adyx. Yes its the link to the app that's not working from my phone. Got it copied to a pc so will move it to the phone later.
    Will it have to reroot & load Cwm again after putting ICS on?
    It depends on what rom you put on. Most (all even?) custom roms will include root. CWM I'm not sure of this but I don't think it's part of a rom as such so it should still be there. Actually if you're using CWM to install a rom it would have to be still there. I think an official Huawei update process such as OTA or using the update.app might overwrite it though.

Advertisement