Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is The Free World Charter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭silkfield

@SupaNova: Some people will take longer to come around to this way of thinking, but this is the future, ridiculous as it may seem to you now. You need to think about it more. Money is a motivation to survive, not to work. If we remove the necessity for money to survive, people will work because they want to excel at their particular skill, and contribute to society.

If you don't agree with or understand this yet, then please at least make sure you don't stand in the way of people who do. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

silkfield wrote: »
    Total signatories: 3,553 in 109 countries since March 5, 2011.
    (533 new signatories in the last 24 hours - Currently averaging a new signature every 162 seconds)

http://www.freeworldcharter.org/?a=list

If I put up a website demanding free ice cream and chocolate to deprived third world children, I would get signatures in the million.

3,553 signatures for a wooly utopian fantasy is pretty weak to be honest.

@Denerick: See above

@Denerick: See above

Have you yet considered that the reason that people scoff and laugh at this idea is not because 'they haven't come round to the divinely ordained 'right' way of thinking yet' but because your idea is fundamentally silly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

There is no limit to the amount of energy we can produce once you remove the highly invested trade patterns of fossil fuels. Wind, solar, tidal, wave, geo-thermal. There is effectively an infinite supply of energy all around us. To harness all these energies just does not make financial sense right now. That is why we need to remove that limitation. The monetary system is the only limitation to infinite energy.

So if there is no money then windmills/powerplants/etc will spring out of the ground? is that why North Korea is a world leader in energy production??

• Advertisement

Every person who answers this thread puts up barriers, questions and resistance before even trying to apply their own imagination or logic to it.

Do you not even try to answer your own question or figure it out before you jump on to put the idea down? Is putting down the idea so much more satisfying to your ego than actually seriously considering something which may affect the survival of humanity? Are you that lost in the human fallacy of being 'outside' nature?

Wake up to yourselves! Use that amazingly complex organ between your ears and apply your thoughts constructively for a change!

I can't possibly deal with every obstacle you wish to throw out here. It's not that simple, nor should be treated lightly. Learn for yourselves, Watch the video, read the criticism page, read the 'more info' page, look up The Venus Project, read their FAQs, watch 'Zeitgeist Addendum', trust the opinions of over 500,000 Zeitgeist members around the World, read our signatory comments, join the Free World Facebook group, open your minds.

Open your mind.

Open your mind.

I tried watching Zeitgeist with a joint and without, both times I got bored to death of the neocommunist tripe with some antisemitisim and environmentalism sprinkled on top.

Anyways you are starting to sound like one of those preachers who come to the door asking you to book your place in heaven :P

On the brightside you a providing some essential backlinks which will translate into more google search love for these sites... Hmm I wonder do the servers running these sites are powered and paid for by love

Thanks to whoever posted the lecture earleir in thread

certainly more interesting than zeitgeist!

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Thanks to whoever posted the lecture earleir in thread

certainly more interesting than zeitgeist!

I know what you mean about Zeitgeist. I admit it's not the most entertaining piece. That's partly why I started this.

I tried watching some of that lecture you posted but it is so far buried within monetarism and the self-serving pseudo-science of economics that it has absolutely no objectivity or relevance to this topic at all that I can see.

It is difficult for me not to portray myself as some religious zealot defending my initiative, when you plainly cannot see that humanity (that's you and me), is a single part of nature (that's plants, other animals and the universe at large), and lives solely with these other plants and animals in a limited and totally isolated space we call a planet (that's the big blue thing you're standing on). And if we continue to prioritise money (you know what that is) over the fine balance of nature and survival, then we are gradually extinguishing ourselves as a species, and others too.

Choosing money over nature as the top priority in human existence is ultimately suicidal. Do you care about that even? Money (while once useful), is the sole reason for most of the problems we see in the world today. And we have the technology to live without it? Why aren't we doing it?

Because 1) We are juvenile wealth addicts who need to put down the crack-pipe and wake up to reality; 2) We are easily led by people to believe that money is the only deal in town; 3) Humans naturally choose the path of least resistance, in this case, the status quo.

I promise you a World without money is GOING to happen one way or the other. It may not happen in our lifetime, but I hope it does. I just hope we don't annihilate most of our species and ourselves before that does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Just spotted the thread now.

I watched Zeitgeist Addendum not too long ago.

Parts were interesting but the alternative proposed i.e. The Venus Project was laughable unfortunately.

I would have loved to have seen a realistic alternative to the current workings of the world but I was very disappointed.

There is no easy answer unfortunately otherwise there'd be more of a movement for it.

• Advertisement

Do you understand what a monetary system is? Essentially its a trust between two or more people. You hand over a universally agreed upon means of exchange - it could be branches of a tree, or dog poo either - in return for goods and services. Money is an invention of man, it will exist in any system. If I lived in your little fantasy world I would still use money in some shape or form, I would still need to exchange stuff with my neighbour in order to subsist - he would get something of mine, I would get something of his.

Your zealous campaign against reason, history and logic is impressive and mildly disturbing.

Why would you use money in my little fantasy? What would you need it for?

There is a very, very large box, and you're still thinking inside it, my friend!

Why would you use money in my little fantasy? What would you need it for?

There is a very, very large box, and you're still thinking inside it, my friend!

Person A walks into the home of person B. Person A needs the lend of some dog food to feed his animal.

"Of course!" says person B. Person B hands over the dog food.

Person A comes back every day for the next 25 years.

"Of course!" says person B.

I feel like I need to use dummies and dolls to explain to you how retarded this whole thing is.

That's a perfect example, Denerick! Can you not see the point you've missed?

Dog food is freely available. Why would Person A keep calling to Person B for it?

Here's another classic example.. Man walks into a 'free world shop' (or depot) and takes all the Mars bars for himself. Now there's no more Mars bars left for anyone else until next month's delivery. How is that fair?

This raises the questions: How many Mars bars can one guy eat in a month? Why take them all at once? Does that depot need to order more?

The answer is simple. Education. Nowadays people 'grab' stuff because stuff is scarce due of cost. When people learn of the new system and how stuff is free but sometimes just not physically available, then the notion of grabbing will cease.

You might find that hard to believe now, but just imagine instilling these new values into our children's education, how quickly society will change. Even a single generation could change the world forever.

This is like The North Korean communist party official broadcast. 'Everything is fine. Please return to your re-education camps where your gruel will be served cold, as always'.

Denerick wrote: »
    This is like The North Korean communist party official broadcast. 'Everything is fine. Please return to your re-education camps where your gruel will be served cold, as always'.
    Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I can't believe this thread has gone on so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No.
    Technology has been driven by a large degree by war, whether you like that fact or not. War has forced mankind (very sadly) to perfect methods of mass slaughter and these technological advances then trickle into everyday use. The best example of that may be the medium you are using right now (see below).

It is one of the main reasons given for China's lagging behind Europe, despite at one time being much more advanced. The Chinese empire enjoyed a 1000 year long period of peace, during which time there was no need to develop new weaponry. During the same period Europeans were busy slaughtering each other and developing more and more advanced weapons with which to do it.

It is sad but true that technology is very often driven by war and mistrust of our fellow man. The internet which we use today to communicate is a direct descendant of the United States' Department of Defense Arpanet project. I too am a cynic but would love to imagine a Star Trek like world where nobody needed money to be happy etc. but I just don't believe it's possible because as already stated many times...some people always want more. We cannot force people to make the technology needed to allow everyone else to relax and take it easy.

Idiot.
    Dear silkfield,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie. This is an automatically generated message.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)

Oooooh. Someone went to teacher!

I actually didn't report your post. I don't want you banned, you provide excellent comic relief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

That's a perfect example, Denerick! Can you not see the point you've missed?

Dog food is freely available. Why would Person A keep calling to Person B for it?

Here's another classic example.. Man walks into a 'free world shop' (or depot) and takes all the Mars bars for himself. Now there's no more Mars bars left for anyone else until next month's delivery. How is that fair?

Dog food is not freely available. It has to be paid for with money. If we didn't have money we would resort to barter.

If man walks into a shop and grabs all the mars bars without paying he is stealing. If he pays for all the mars bars he's a fatty but hasn't done anything wrong. I doubt this happens and i rarely see stores with empty shelves of Mars bars due to someone eating them all. Stores can adjust prices based on there stock, if they are really low on stock of a non perishable good they can raise the price.

I think your argument is more why is it fair some people have more money to buy more than others?
    The answer is simple. Education. Nowadays people 'grab' stuff because stuff is scarce due of cost. When people learn of the new system and how stuff is free but sometimes just not physically available, then the notion of grabbing will cease.

Lol you say scarcity is due to cost. Then you sort of have a brief moment where you realize what scarcity is when you say things are not physically available. Things not being available is scarcity.
    You might find that hard to believe now, but just imagine instilling these new values into our children's education, how quickly society will change. Even a single generation could change the world forever.

Instilling what values? All you are doing is spreading garbage.

SupaNova wrote: »
    Dog food is not freely available. It has to be paid for with money. If we didn't have money we would resort to barter.

If man walks into a shop and grabs all the mars bars without paying he is stealing. If he pays for all the mars bars he's a fatty but hasn't done anything wrong. I doubt this happens and i rarely see stores with empty shelves of Mars bars due to someone eating them all. Stores can adjust prices based on there stock, if they are really low on stock of a non perishable good they can raise the price.

I think your argument is more why is it fair some people have more money to buy more than others?

Lol you say scarcity is due to cost. Then you sort of have a brief moment where you realize what scarcity is when you say things are not physically available. Things not being available is scarcity.

Instilling what values? All you are doing is spreading garbage.

You plainly have no grasp of the ideas I am presenting here. You are just wasting both of our times and energy. If you want to debate, then please at least watch the video, familiarise yourself with the subject matter, and then ask me some credible relevant questions.

If you simply skim the information I have presented it will appear like garbage. I can see that. Until you open your mind to the even the slightest possibility of there being an alternative future for humanity, you will not 'get' this. You have been conditioned from birth to believe there is only one system. You have been bombarded with it since you first became self-aware. You need to unplug yourself, or at least admit that some of what you see may not be the full story.

Ask me some insightful questions, or find another thread to berate.

Do you understand how human interaction works? If there is no demand for dog food then none will be produced. You say everything will be plentiful (Including dog food) without suggesting how it would be produced, distributed. You ignore the issue of variety; some dog foods have higher nutritional content, others have specific dietary requirements. Then you go on to say it will be 'freely available', without saying how.

Unless you provide evidence that you do in fact own a 'God machine', that will make everything available instantaneously, we will continue to mock and berate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

I tried watching some of that lecture you posted but it is so far buried within monetarism and the self-serving pseudo-science of economics that it has absolutely no objectivity or relevance to this topic at all that I can see.

That video is definitely relevant, it describes the affect of abandoning money and a market price system. You may be the one that needs to open your mind or start using your brain. I am not surprised you can't understand the video since you can't even understand the simple concept of scarcity.

It was fun but its kinda depressing to see people waste their time with this garbage. Good Luck.

Denerick wrote: »
    Do you understand how human interaction works? If there is no demand for dog food then none will be produced. You say everything will be plentiful (Including dog food) without suggesting how it would be produced, distributed. You ignore the issue of variety; some dog foods have higher nutritional content, others have specific dietary requirements. Then you go on to say it will be 'freely available', without saying how.

Unless you provide evidence that you do in fact own a 'God machine', that will make everything available instantaneously, we will continue to mock and berate you.

If people have dogs, then there is a demand for dog food, yes?

Who makes the dog food? Who? who? who? who? ;) Since most of our manufacturing processes are automated (or could be automated even more once cost restraints were removed), then it doesn't take very much labour to produce dog food, yes?

If it requires say 10 people to run an automated dog food factory, and there was sufficient demand for dog food, then people with an interest in producing dog food (eg. dog lovers) would have no problems working there in rotation if necessary once all their living needs were met by the community, yes?

(Maybe you're not a dog lover, but I'm sure you can replace this dog food example with something closer to your own interest to see my point)

murphaph wrote: »
    Technology has been driven by a large degree by war, whether you like that fact or not. War has forced mankind (very sadly) to perfect methods of mass slaughter and these technological advances then trickle into everyday use. The best example of that may be the medium you are using right now (see below).

It is one of the main reasons given for China's lagging behind Europe, despite at one time being much more advanced. The Chinese empire enjoyed a 1000 year long period of peace, during which time there was no need to develop new weaponry. During the same period Europeans were busy slaughtering each other and developing more and more advanced weapons with which to do it.

It is sad but true that technology is very often driven by war and mistrust of our fellow man. The internet which we use today to communicate is a direct descendant of the United States' Department of Defense Arpanet project. I too am a cynic but would love to imagine a Star Trek like world where nobody needed money to be happy etc. but I just don't believe it's possible because as already stated many times...some people always want more. We cannot force people to make the technology needed to allow everyone else to relax and take it easy.

Youd like this documentary here > http://www.channel4.com/programmes/civilization-is-the-west-history/4od

should be playable in Ireland with 4OD ;)

If people have dogs, then there is a demand for dog food, yes?

Who makes the dog food? Who? who? who? who? ;) Since most of our manufacturing processes are automated (or could be automated even more once cost restraints were removed), then it doesn't take very much labour to produce dog food, yes?

If it requires say 10 people to run an automated dog food factory, and there was sufficient demand for dog food, then people with an interest in producing dog food (eg. dog lovers) would have no problems working there in rotation if necessary once all their living needs were met by the community, yes?

(Maybe you're not a dog lover, but I'm sure you can replace this dog food example with something closer to your own interest to see my point)

Who will design the dog food factory?
    Who will maintain the dog food factory?
    Why would someone bother making a dog food factory?
    Why will someone bother running a dog factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Someone just got themselves banned for 3 days for personal abuse and bringing up moderation on thread.

/mod.

Thank you all for your engaging discussion and debate. If you want to find out more or discuss further, you can go to the website or Facebook page.

As of writing, the video has received over 22,000 views and the Charter document itself over 5,000 signatories inside two months, which I'm very happy about, needless to say. If you have time, why not have a look through the comments section of those who have signed already.

Dreams such as this are only impossible if you really want them to be. Trust in human nature more. When we are depressurised from financial concerns and the associated maladjustments of our upbringing, we are passive, compassionate and cooperative beings. Think about it: People today from wealthy backgrounds are generally more content and well-adjusted than those from poor backgrounds. Why? Because they experience less financial pressures in life. Think about it. A truly Free World is possible. All we have to do is choose it.

My work here in Boards.ie is done, and I have instructed closure of my account, so I won't be back. Thank you again to all respondents for the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Are you off to Blisstonia with the rest of the Movementarians? ;)

Your idea is not impossible because I want it to be; it's impossible because it's impossible. You cannot simply wish scarcity out of existence and hope for the best.

Advertisement