Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3g unlock released, anyone have success with it on irish networks?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

coadyj wrote: »
    Ok first you go to cydia and install "TZines Hack"

Then ssh into your phone and look for a file called proxy.pac , should be in the
    /private/var/root folder, but i dont remember off hand.

then open the proxy.pac file and replace the inside with

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0"))
    return "PROXY 10.24.59.100:80";
    else
    return "DIRECT";
    }

then goto apn settings

live.vodafone.ie
    dublin
    dublin

and give it ago, you can really do much on it, a lot of outgoing ports are closed, just 80 and 225

Thanks, but I rang vodafone and they gave me these:

APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    User: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

They seem to work fine. I'm just testing this out, mind, not planning to use it regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

Thanks, but I rang vodafone and they gave me these:

APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    User: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

They seem to work fine. I'm just testing this out, mind, not planning to use it regularly.

prepay vodafone SIM right? as in a one you buy credit for. These APN settings will work, but they charge you a fortune for it

this is a blurb from the vodafone site
    "Data services (GPRS and the Internet)

The mobile internet pricing above is recommended for all customers and is the default charging on all prepaid handsets we sell. This charging is through the Vodafone Live! Connection point (APN) which adapts websites for mobile viewing.

However, some advanced users may wish to use our ISP connection point. This connection point does not adapt websites for the best mobile viewing. Users of phone as a modem, data telemetry devices or other non-Vodafone internet devices with a prepaid SIM card may prefer to use this connection point. Pricing is on a per-KB basis rather than on a per-minute basis. That means you'll be charged on the amount of information (data) you send and/or receive, not on how long your call lasts. All data traffic through the ISP APN is charged at 19c per MB on Prepaid."

So currently you are on the ISP settings, but you want to put on the live.vodafone.com settings. Its odd that the person in vodafone gave you those settings, i would use it up and get them to refund you. If you are on bill pay you can pay €10 a month for 1GB but by the rates above it would cost you over €200 for 1GB. If you have any problems installing the proxy give me a shout

On a different topic is anyone noticing any battery issues since updating

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Here's one.

The only things to watch out for:

That is great Eoin, thanks for the help.
    coadyj wrote:
    there is a new baseband firmware called 2.28.01 which is being found on uk payg iphones, the dev team are yet to comment on it, but it is being reported.

Sugar, can you point me to this forum and posts, I've a friend going north tomorrow to get a 02 UK iphone for unlocking.

prepay vodafone SIM right? as in a one you buy credit for. These APN settings will work, but they charge you a fortune for it

Hang on: this SIM is supposed to come with some sort of deal where it only costs 99 cent per day for up to 50MB, no?

Surely they can't expect everyone to go through Cydia and write scripts for the proxy.pac file, etc.

Is your recipe a way to get free data or something?

Edit: On further investigation, I gather that they gave me the isp.vodafone.ie APN because I told them that I was on an iPhone and the iPhone doesn't "support" their live.vodafone.ie portal. So if I understand correctly, coady, your hack is so that I can use the live! portal on the iPhone? Is that right?

One question: which repo has this TZines Hack? I can't find it in Cydia and google turns up nothing.

Subsequent edit: Ok, I figured it out: it's TZones Hack (there was a typo in your message). A new question arises, though: is this hack in order to allow access via EDGE only? If so, do any Irish mobile companies offer prepay full 3G for the iPhone?

Isn't it just as easy to create a proxy.pac file like the one you describe and upload it to /var/preferences (which is the correct directory, by the way)? Why do I need the Tzones Hack, which puts the file there but with the wrong information?

Also, if I do put this proxy.pac file in, is it going to screw up my settings when I'm on my normal O2 account?

Sorry about all the questions in the last two posts. I appreciate any help you can give.

• Advertisement

Subsequent edit: Ok, I figured it out: it's TZones Hack (there was a typo in your message). A new question arises, though: is this hack in order to allow access via EDGE only? If so, do any Irish mobile companies offer prepay full 3G for the iPhone?

No you can still get 3g, but only web access, programs like fring dont work anything that uses any other port apart from 80 (http) or 125 (https), so weather and maps work, but mail doesnt

Im also looking into way of adding a second level proxy to root though the first proxy to my private server, which would allow a tunnel though the proxy and on to all open ports

The tzone hack also changes a preferances file to tell it to use the proxy and tells it that the proxy is located in the proxy.pac file, i thing once you change your apn settings back to o2 it might mess up but from some of the basic testing I did (installed tzone and changed back to isp.vodafone.ie) is seems to work, worst thing you might have to uninstall tzone not a huge deal, ill see if i can get a vodafone live apn settings in cydia

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

CivilEx wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, have you had any issues with the in-built speaker on the phone when making a call or with the bluetooth headset since upgrading to 0.9.6?

Absolutely none! It does exactly what it says on the tin!

bk wrote: »
    That is great Eoin, thanks for the help.

Sugar, can you point me to this forum and posts, I've a friend going north tomorrow to get a 02 UK iphone for unlocking.

i would risk it, only read a few reports, but let us know. dev team know how to hack it now. all they have to do is look for a point to inject it

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭CivilEx

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Absolutely none! It does exactly what it says on the tin!
    Sounds like my iPhone has developed a problem then. The Bluetooth headset causes calls to fail if I use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I just unlocked 2 3G iPhones, both locked to the O2 Ireland network. When I rebooted each phone I first put in a Meteor sim, but it wouldn't show a signal and got "No Service", but when I rebooted again, I tried a Vodafone sim in them, they worked fine, so I tried the Meteor sim in both after the Vodafone sim in them and they worked fine on Meteor.

Weird !!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i would risk it, only read a few reports, but let us know. dev team know how to hack it now. all they have to do is look for a point to inject it

FYI, he went ahead and got it, 16GB black in o2 Newry store (I assume they go through stock very fast), it was 2.1 firmware with older baseband.

I installed yellowsn0w on it and it all went very smoothly, worked first time with no problems (Vodafone contract SIM) :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Can someone using an unlocked iPhone / iPhone 3G on a non-O2 network tell me what happens if someone sends them an MMS? Are they notified via text or something like that? Do you have to log in to your network's website to retrieve the message / image?

Cheers.

bk wrote: »
    FYI, he went ahead and got it, 16GB black in o2 Newry store (I assume they go through stock very fast), it was 2.1 firmware with older baseband.

I installed yellowsn0w on it and it all went very smoothly, worked first time with no problems (Vodafone contract SIM) :)

Cool, yeah, i haven't seen much more on that subject, could be a spoof conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kenny10033

Hi I am trying to get 3g to work with unlocked iPhone on Vodafone, I have installed TZines hack from cydia but I am not familiar with using ssh, can anyone help?thanks in advance!:)

kenny10033 wrote: »
    Hi I am trying to get 3g to work with unlocked iPhone on Vodafone, I have installed TZines hack from cydia but I am not familiar with using ssh, can anyone help?thanks in advance!:)

In theory (I say in theory because I wasn't able to get Vodfone Live to work on my iphone), you don't really need to know how to use ssh from the command line or Unix commands to get this to work. If you've installed TZones hack you'll also have to install SSH (right on the front page in Cydia). Then all you have to do is put the information coadyj supplied into a plain text file called 'proxy.pac' (without the quotation marks).

You need to have the phone on your Wifi network. Then you need an SSH client like Fugu on the mac or WinSCP on Windows, if my information is correct (I'm on a mac, so can't vouch for Windows). Set your iPhone not to autolock. Use the software to connect to the phone and then put the proxy.pac file into /var/preferences (replacing the existing one). You probably have to reboot your phone after this.

Once done, in theory you should input the following into the phone under General-->Network-->Cellular data network:

APN live.vodafone.ie
    User: dublin
    Pass: dublin

Let us know if it works.

kenny10033 wrote: »
    Hi I am trying to get 3g to work with unlocked iPhone on Vodafone, I have installed TZones hack from cydia but I am not familiar with using ssh, can anyone help?thanks in advance!:)

Its actualy pretty simple

install "tzone hack"
    install openssh from cydia

download this
    http://winscp.net/download/winscp418setup.exe

on iphone go to settings, WiFi the click on the > in the network you have the tick beside

then get the ip address of the phone

make sure your pc is connected to the same network as you iphone, or there is at least a bridge

copy this ip address into winscp and make sure port 22 is selected
    the default username is: root
    the default password is: alpine

now connect, the first time may take up to 30 seconds, but just leave it

when you get it you will see a file called proxy.pac, double click it and replace the content with what i have put above
    save and exit

now you can set your apn as

live.vodafone.com
    dublin
    dublin

and there you go, fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Searched Google, but cannot find the answer to this. Can you unlock the iPhone using Yellowsn0w without a Sim Card in the phone? in other words connected to a wireless network? I bought an Irish O2 iPhone off eBay, but I don't have an O2 Sim Card. So, I was just going to connect to the Internet using the WiFi and install Yellowsn0w that way or does the O2 card have to be in the phone while I do this? Thanks.

CyberDave wrote: »
    Searched Google, but cannot find the answer to this. Can you unlock the iPhone using Yellowsn0w without a Sim Card in the phone? in other words connected to a wireless network? I bought an Irish O2 iPhone off eBay, but I don't have an O2 Sim Card. So, I was just going to connect to the Internet using the WiFi and install Yellowsn0w that way or does the O2 card have to be in the phone while I do this? Thanks.

Once you have jailbroken the phone and have Cydia / Installer on the phone, you can do as you have described. If you have to work right from scratch, restore to 2.2 and jailbreak, you will need an O2 sim to activate the phone through iTunes.

This shouldn't be a big issue though. Pop into your local O2 store and you can get a speakeasy sim, which will work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Once you have jailbroken the phone and have Cydia / Installer on the phone, you can do as you have described. If you have to work right from scratch, restore to 2.2 and jailbreak, you will need an O2 sim to activate the phone through iTunes.

This shouldn't be a big issue though. Pop into your local O2 store and you can get a speakeasy sim, which will work ok.

So first I need to jailbreak it and then unlock it. Oh great, I'm going to have fun trying to do that.

CyberDave wrote: »
    So first I need to jailbreak it and then unlock it. Oh great, I'm going to have fun trying to do that.

If the phone isn't yet jailbroken, you are going to need the O2 sim. The whole thing isn't as hard as you might think, www.iclarified.com has all of the info that you need.

I'd recommend a decent broadband connection for downloading the files. I think one of them is around 250MB

• Advertisement

No you dont need an o2 sim to activate it, update to the latest firmware, but download it from iclarified not through apple update just in case

the sha1 hash of the firmware (iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw) is

f67f8b2b842428bf89456cda0c2d5cf954d111a4

You can check this by downloading a program called hashcal or if you on a mac you can use openssl (google it)

Now once this is done download quickpwn and run it, this will jailbreak and activate you phone, no o2 sim required, trust me I only have a vodafone card and its all working fine for me

Once you have jailbroken and activated it, launch cydia and goto manage and the click on sources, add this http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/

hit refresh and the do a search for yellowsn0w, install with the sim you wish to activate in the sim tray, the phone will reboot and then bam your phone is unlocked

Hope you have fun with it.

to get you going, download a cool program called mewseek and pwnplayer
    this is a peer to peer client software that lets you download songs for free on to the iphone, then pwnplayer plays them

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jackie.du

can any boay advise can i still use push mail to receive exchange email after i unlock the iphone and put a three sim card in the phone? thank you

jackie.du wrote: »
    can any boay advise can i still use push mail to receive exchange email after i unlock the iphone and put a three sim card in the phone? thank you
    You can ok with Vodafone. Can't see why it shouldn't work with three

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Could someone answer me this query? :p

I have a Vodafone PAYG and am getting an iPhone PAYG in a few weeks, would I be better off unlocking it to use my Vodafone SIM with free texts etc but getting charged for data usage or keeping it as O2 but keeping my 087 number (using PAC etc).

Slashman X wrote: »
    Could someone answer me this query? :p

I have a Vodafone PAYG and am getting an iPhone PAYG in a few weeks, would I be better off unlocking it to use my Vodafone SIM with free texts etc but getting charged for data usage or keeping it as O2 but keeping my 087 number (using PAC etc).

Well it all depends, if most of your friends are on vodafone, the i would stick with vodafone, if you set up the proxy everything works nicely well all http trafic does.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Well free texts are to any network. Whats the story with getting charged for data transfers, does the 99c cap apply?

Slashman X wrote: »
    Well free texts are to any network. Whats the story with getting charged for data transfers, does the 99c cap apply?

yes please see my tzone hack post for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR 3G IPHONE !!!

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR 3G IPHONE !!!

agreed, only update with pwnage tool and select none official carrier

• Advertisement
Advertisement