Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Stock Checker - CheckArgos.com (Jul 15 - Preview of new site now avaialbe)

• 08-09-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

EDIT: I got a huge response to this, much bigger than I expected. Im going to take down invites for the moment as im just spending too much time replying to pms!

Myself and BK will hopefully work on it over the next few days and get it prettied up, but the next thing on my todo list is increasing the speed.

Thanks for the interest

Hi guys,

I've been working on a simple Argos stock checker this week as a proof of concept. I'm not a web developer so its far from pretty but it does do the job.

Its seems a shame to have it fully functioning (I think!) and it not to be used.
    Its way too alpha for public release but if some people want to PM me I'll send them a link to it.

Thanks to black_knight as well for some help starting off.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If it can't check HP Touchpads, then I don't wanna know :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

delly wrote: »

Here ya go: http://pipes.yahoo.com/paddyponchero/multimax

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

I'll send you a PM, Jeez if I see another hukd.ie link from Basq for something that I probably don't even need from Argos but isn't in stock ANYWHERE!!!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

delly wrote: »

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

TriStar6 wrote: »
    I'll send you a PM, Jeez if I see another hukd.ie link from Basq for something that I probably don't even need from Argos but isn't in stock ANYWHERE!!!!!! ;)

It seems anything reduced in argos is not in stock at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

witnessmenow, I pm'ed you for the link, did you get that PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be fair.. I check more-often-than-not if something is in stock near me.. and if it is, I post it.

I'll left out numerous Argos deals I couldn't find stock of.. but some do creep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Do me a favour basq keep posting somebody is bound to get good value until argos pulls the deal which is what I think happens . I could have done with that lawnmower :)

Do me a favour basq keep posting somebody is bound to get good value until argos pulls the deal which is what I think happens . I could have done with that lawnmower :)
    Well, witnessmenow's page should put an end to those products that can't be found anywhere.

But people are so quick to dismiss a product as being out-of-stock everywhere if it's not in their local (or nearby).. there's a deal up on HUKD.ie somewhere where some guy dismissed an Argos product as being of stock everywhere. I then posted a screengrab of it in stock in 2 stores I think.

EDIT: Aha.. here it is.. but user deleted his comment after that.

PS - witnessmenow, I'm a web dev so if you want some help in sprucing up the page a bit.. I've no problem with helping out.

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thanks to black_knight as well for some help starting off.
    Awh, im touched, though ive not really contributed enough yet. Ill see if I can do anything tonight, once I get my hands on that code of yours! :D

At the very least, ill make the page..... less ugly. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi guys, just back from a trip into town and I have over 20 pms!

I'll respond to them now.

Basq wrote: »
    To be fair.. I check more-often-than-not if something is in stock near me.. and if it is, I post it.

I'll left out numerous Argos deals I couldn't find stock of.. but some do creep in.

Don't worry Basq, if nothing else it's keeping hukd.ie going with the help of a few offers from the hut and I'm sure there is some stock in the Connaught Stores.... ;)

Great efforts from all, just Argos are damn annoying!

Awh, im touched, though ive not really contributed enough yet. Ill see if I can do anything tonight, once I get my hands on that code of yours! :D

At the very least, ill make the page..... less ugly. :pac:

How dare you, its got early 90s charm!
    Basq wrote: »
    Well, witnessmenow's page should put an end to those products that can't be found anywhere.

But people are so quick to dismiss a product as being out-of-stock everywhere if it's not in their local (or nearby).. there's a deal up on HUKD.ie somewhere where some guy dismissed an Argos product as being of stock everywhere. I then posted a screengrab of it in stock in 2 stores I think.

EDIT: Aha.. here it is.. but user deleted his comment after that.

PS - witnessmenow, I'm a web dev so if you want some help in sprucing up the page a bit.. I've no problem with helping out.

They must not like seat covers in Killarney:

173695.jpg

Works quite well witnessmenow.. I'm impressed! ;)

[nerd] Depending on how the script works, you could possibly use Ajax calls to populate the stock in a individual store as it iterates through them.. just so you don't just have that wait of 30 seconds. You'd then see each store populate every second or so. [/nerd]

Just a suggestion!

thanks basq, yeah that's what im looking into at the moment. As I said earlier Im no way a web developer, but I did know some php so I just threw it together with that, even though it wasnt a great choice!

thanks basq, yeah that's what im looking into at the moment. As I said earlier Im no way a web developer, but I did know some php so I just threw it together with that, even though it wasnt a great choice!
    If you've no problem with e-mailing me on the code, I can look into refine it a bit and send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Ditto, I originally made ArgosStock.com which worked great and was pretty popular last year - doing Ajax calls to retrieve each store. Then Argos changed the way their website reports stock entirely, and I didn't have time to look into it again - but if you have code to do that working now, I'm more than happy to help Ajax-ify it for you (and provide hosting too, if you're in need of that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Schorpio

In a word - brilliant. It's great to have a proper stock checker for Argos again. The way they have it on their website is woeful and can be frustrating. Full marks lads for making it.

.....Oh and I also dig the simple retro look :P

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Thanks very much for this, very useful and will certainly come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Are people still using this....:eek:

ajaxd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

invites closed?

funny-pictures-sad-cat-blackandwhite-300x233.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dec_

invites closed?

funny-pictures-sad-cat-blackandwhite-300x233.jpg

Pity i did not see this earlier just spent most of the Day emailing argos about the amazing Bargains that are never in Stock.

Quick update:
    We've been working on ajax-ifying the page this evening, not fully finished but the query return time is down to between 7-10 seconds for all stores.

I think we should have something released by the weekend I hope.

Just a note, the page i'm working on isn't the one i linked to so that wont have changed.

Also thanks to all the people offering support, but i think for the moment we're going to keep at ourselves, I've learnt a lot in what I've done so far this project and hopefully will continue to learn more as we try to improve it. If i do find myself neglecting it I will open it up to people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Fair play. Decent utility.

Well impressed, though for some reason nobody seems to be posting Argos links recently!!!
    Had to actually go onto their homepage to randomly pick stuff...UGH

Still taking about 30 seconds to search for me BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Well impressed, though for some reason nobody seems to be posting Argos links recently!!!
    Had to actually go onto their homepage to randomly pick stuff...UGH

Going off topic, but I use hukd.ie And hotukdeals.com to run a search fot Argos with today's deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭loopymum

I saw this yesterday and think it's a great idea, I won't pm you but keep me in mind when you need more testers. Thanks

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Its not been updated. The live version is still going to take about 30 seconds, but the one thats in development at the moment is down to about 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dec_

Dec_ wrote: »
    Pity i did not see this earlier just spent most of the Day emailing argos about the amazing Bargains that are never in Stock.

Should have said when invites open again put me on the List. My Daughter Tried to order 16 Items and only 2 were available.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

I'm after uploading the new version of the stock checker just there. I've added the link to the original page. I'll send out a couple more invites to the people who have asked for them tomorrow.

Changes:

Ajaxified - Searches should only take a fraction of the time. Also the page updates dynamically so you dont have the big long pause before any page shows up at all.

Stock Levels - Added stock numbers for each shop.

Still have a lots I'd like to implement but i start a new job on tuesday so I dont know how regular updates will be. Might get another release out by then. Will keep this thread updated.

Advertisement