Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Couple of decent qanba sticks here for dirt cheap with free postage:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qanba-pc-arcade-fighting-stick-97-rocker-arcade/1766197670.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qanba-street-fighter-usb-computer-melders-handle-rocker-arcade-rod/1766181894.html

May be of interest to someone with mame in mind, someone suggested putting a pi with mame inside and away ya go.
    Could always change stick/buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qanba-pc-arcade-fighting-stick-97-rocker-arcade/1766197670.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qanba-street-fighter-usb-computer-melders-handle-rocker-arcade-rod/1766181894.html

May be of interest to someone with mame in mind, someone suggested putting a pi with mame inside and away ya go.

Crap, I could've saved myself a bundle rather than buying 2 namco sticks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hygro wrote: »
    Crap, I could've saved myself a bundle rather than buying 2 namco sticks :(

I wouldn't worry about it, your Namco sticks will be gorgeous. Definitely made the right decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I've got one of those Namco sticks and they are simply excellent.
    Now, go buy Raiden DX and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What are Aliexpress like for delivery?

Well as far as I know there just a drop shipper, got a couple of multi jamma boards off them before which arrived from china, took just over 2 weeks, all depends on who there coming from I suppose, got to worth a shot for a tenner. Going to hack one with a 360 controller and put in decent parts since my hori ex stick is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Haven't bought from them yet but it would depend on which seller you buy from, its not one company like Dealextreme.
    They're just 3rd party companies that use which use the Aliexpress site. A bit like amazon.

I'd imagine most would be faster DX anyway, minimum delivery time would be 2-3 weeks provided they ship it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, I've got one of those Namco sticks and they are simply excellent.
    Now, go buy Raiden DX and be happy.

Feck, that's an expensive game!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

See it in terms of a modern PS3 release and realise how much better it is, perspective my good man, perspective.
    Ask O1s1n if you want confirmation, and I don't think there's any other way to play it, beyond a pirate copy for a chipped PS.

Which reminds me, been a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it, your Namco sticks will be gorgeous. Definitely made the right decision.

That is a real nice stick Hygro picked up, I would have bought it if it was still available :( That sort of stick in that condition doesen't come along too often. Still on the look out for a Saturn virtua stick myself.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

a local guy set up this game shop on adverts and facebook, got paper Mario on the wii for 10 at a convention and Pokemon games tend to be 15ish there, good for a shop.

https://www.facebook.com/irishannihilatorcomics?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Flaregon wrote: »
    a local guy set up this game shop on adverts and facebook, got paper Mario on the wii for 10 at a convention and Pokemon games tend to be 15ish there, good for a shop.

https://www.facebook.com/irishannihilatorcomics?fref=ts

He's selling fake pokemon carts, maybe not the best way of starting out in business, I know he saying they're fakes but it still seems a bit cheap to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

See it in terms of a modern PS3 release and realise how much better it is, perspective my good man, perspective.
    Ask O1s1n if you want confirmation, and I don't think there's any other way to play it, beyond a pirate copy for a chipped PS.

Which reminds me, been a while...

that's not a pirate song, this is

But that's Captain Feathersword, he's like a regular pirate but with tickles instead of buggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Monkeykube wrote: »
    He's selling fake pokemon carts, maybe not the best way of starting out in business, I know he saying they're fakes but it still seems a bit cheap to me.

This is actually my page...

If you look through the timeline the amount of Pokemon games I have got in.I was bound to get some fakes in the many lots of Pokemon games I got in.
    I advertised the last picture as fakes as I would never claim the we're real and I even described how to spot fakes.

Many other sellers sell hacks,repros,fakes,60 in 1,Tengen carts
    So i didnt really see the problem.

Well, people are free to express their opinion, as are you.
    The Irish retail scene is quite small where it comes to Pokemon and other classic Japanese gaming ephemera, the idea of selling "repro" or fake carts is simply against most people's instincts here, you might as well use a flash cart tbh as you're only trying to fool yourself.
    Anyways, good luck with the endeavour and be prepared for some frank opinion of your services from these pages, not just the negative, regulars are also quick to praise anywhere that offers great products and value.

Well, people are free to express their opinion, as are you.
    The Irish retail scene is quite small where it comes to Pokemon and other classic Japanese gaming ephemera, the idea of selling "repro" or fake carts is simply against most people's instincts here, you might as well use a flash cart tbh as you're only trying to fool yourself.
    Anyways, good luck with the endeavour and be prepared for some frank opinion of your services from these pages, not just the negative, regulars are also quick to praise anywhere that offers great products and value.

I sell video games,comics and retro figures.I got a massive amount of Pokemon games in for a Pokemon orientated convention.
    Around 30-40 real carts.
    Which all sold at that convention.

Recently I got in close to ten real complete in box Pokemon games.

I had 3 fake carts from the two lots and advertised on the Facebook I would sell them for 5 euro each.

I think you were under the impression I was reproducing Pokemon carts

Read my post again then.
    I was referring to the three you were selling.
    No one was accusing you of making a business out of selling repro carts but, you were selling the few you turned out to have, and that's simply what people here were reacting to.
    Many people may have just thrown them in the bin tbh.

• Advertisement

cats_fighting.jpg

Master of the Universe

What anyone does with their shop is their own business, but if it were me, I wouldn't be selling any fake carts at all.

For the sake of a couple of quid you'll get for them it's not really worth the possible tarnishing of the shop's image.

People misinterpret things very easily. What was honest and straightforward on your page (stating them as pirate carts) turned into 'oh I saw this shop is selling pirate carts' - which further along the grapevine turns into 'don't go near that shop, you run the risk of buying a pirate cart'.

Not worth it at all. Fling em in the bin in future and let everyone know everything is 100% legit :)

Read my post again then.
    I was referring to the three you were selling.
    No one was accusing you of making a business out of selling repro carts but, you were selling the few you turned out to have, and that's simply what people here were reacting to.
    Many people may have just thrown them in the bin tbh.

Most wouldn't throw them out.
    I know of 3 we'll known places that
    Sell fakes.
    One from time to time sticks out good fake Pokemon carts for 24.95 hoping some people will think they are real.
    (My friend did work experience there)

Another bought in a fake set of 6 Pokemon gba games to resell at 12.99 each.He advertised them on their Facebook but would tell you they were fake if you came in.(All sold,Another friend of mine has worked their part time for over a year )

The other one he collected fakes not necessarily Pokemon.But he bought and sold hacks.(A mate of mine,I didn't really see the harm in him selling games that we're never released)

I even know people who collect Pokemon fakes and variants.
    People who are willing to pay 40-60
    Euro for a starfox 2 repro or pal earthbound.

I don't think I did anything wrong selling them fakes as Tengen games are same thing.I didn't purposely get them in.
    But I'm just gonna throw them in free with consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    Most wouldn't throw them out.
    I know of 3 we'll known places that
    Sell fakes.
    One from time to time sticks out good fake Pokemon carts for 24.95 hoping some people will think they are real.
    (My friend did work experience there)

Another bought in a fake set of 6 Pokemon gba games to resell at 12.99 each.He advertised them on their Facebook but would tell you they were fake if you came in.(All sold,Another friend of mine has worked their part time for

Well I guess the thing is to be better than those places then. Certainly a way to stand out from the crowd.

Master of the Universe

Good press/shop image is paramount to having a successful business.

Did you say they were a fiver each? So you're basically risking your shop's image for €15. Really not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

In fairness I met these lads at Kaizoku Con and they're decent people but yeah probably not worth a shop's reputation for the sake of a few Euro worth of profit.

The collector's mind will work like this: "If they're willing to sell fakes and be honest about it... I wonder what else they sell that they're not being quite so transparent about".

I had something similar when asking a certain retro store in Dublin about N64 controllers. Was just about to buy it until I realised that the Nintendo logo on it looked off. I asked about it and was eventually told that it was cheap chinese reproduction rubbish.

Suffice it to say I didn't buy it and I'm not sure I'd shop there again.

Food for thought.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Good press/shop image is paramount to having a successful business.

Did you say they were a fiver each? So you're basically risking your shop's image for €15. Really not worth it.

I am not risking my business as nobody had a problem with me selling them.
    like it hasn't affected any of the other business that sold them.

The only thing that would give my business a bad name is price,reputation and attitude and My prices are cheap,if there was ever a problem I would go out of my way to fix it,we are doing charity nights for free and we are nice and friendly to people who buy from us which at cons could end up in a half an talk or them playing games with us.I even meet up with regulars so they don't have to pay postage.

Everybody keeps talking about business to me but nobody understands one of the reasons I do this is for fun and being friendly is a more major factor to reputation because 99 percent of people don't care I sold Fake Pokemon carts one time.They care I gave them a good deal and was friendly.Thats what makes us stand out from the crowd.

Check our progression in a years time and I'm sure the hardwork we put in will show off

This dosent mean I am going to sell fake Pokemon carts in the future.
    I rather not if I get any in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Personally I don't see much of an issue with it, as long as any fakes/repros are advertised as such. If I were to see a shop owning up to having some repro's listed, I'd be more inclined to shop there than one that tried to pass them off as real.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I am not risking my business as nobody had a problem with me selling them.
    like it hasn't affected any of the other business that sold them.

There are some huge generalizations.

1. People have had a problem with you selling them as the people on this forum are clearly the kind of folk who would be interested in your business.
    2. I am sure if someone inadvertently buys a pirate down the road which wasn't marked as such and they find out, they'll be pissed.
    3. This has effected many businesses. I'd suggest you look into it further.
    The only thing that would give my business a bad name is price,reputation and attitude

And not selling pirate carts would fit into the 'reputation' category.
    Everybody keeps talking about business to me but nobody understands one of the reasons I do this is for fun

An ideal business is one which is fun for the owner. Businesses can be fun. However, if you want that fun to last, you have to make your business work. If it doesn't work, the business doesn't work and the fun is gone.
    and being friendly is a more major factor to reputation

Yep, it's a major part, but not everything.
    because 99 percent of people don't care I sold Fake Pokemon carts one time.They care I gave them a good deal and was friendly.Thats what makes us stand out from the crowd.

Fair enough, it happened one time. I'm suggesting you don't make a regular occurrence of it as it will bite you in the ass at some point. You can be sure of that.
    Check our progression in a years time and I'm sure the hardwork we put in will show off

I do wish you the best of luck. The above is all simply advice - I WANT your shop to succeed as I am your exact target audience, someone who spends loads of their hard earned cash on videogames :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement