Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP :(

• 28-04-2011 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nickcleverley

Hi lads, looking for a bit of advice. My 96' Starlet is absolutely swallowing petrol, i threw 20 quid into her today and i only got 60 miles, the gauge now says its empty... I'm still in school and if it keeps up this way i wont be able to afford to drive :(
    Do any of you know why she might be using so much fuel, or what i could do to stop her being so thirsty :(

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Twenty quid these days isn't much petrol, only 12 or so litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi lads, looking for a bit of advice. My 96' Starlet is absolutely swallowing petrol, i threw 20 quid into her today and i only got 60 miles, the gauge now says its empty... I'm still in school and if it keeps up this way i wont be able to afford to drive :(
    Do any of you know why she might be using so much fuel, or what i could do to stop her being so thirsty :(

Thanks in advance ;)

When was last service? do you service regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

About 25MPG, as above do you get it serviced? As your in school Im guessing you think its some sort of a rally car and you are driving it hard? Could be wrong?

• As i have learned with the 4e-fe engine if you drive it gently and change up at what seems like silly low revs and dont go over 60mph then you will get decent mpg.(owned two in a corolla and mother had a starlet)
    I also find it to be a very thirsty engine but only if reving hard or going "fast". It does also seem to run excessively rich on startup compared to newer engines so if you are doing lots of short trips it will ruin you on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 allyJay

Is it possible that the it's leaking somewhere? I have a toyota corolla, older than yours and rust can be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi lads, looking for a bit of advice. My 96' Starlet is absolutely swallowing petrol, i threw 20 quid into her today and i only got 60 miles, the gauge now says its empty...

How long have you had it? Has it suddenly started drinking heavy. Is it "tuned"?
    I'm still in school and if it keeps up this way i wont be able to afford to drive :(
    I wish I could have driven when I was in school, I used to have to walk barefoot in the snow:D
    Do any of you know why she might be using so much fuel,
    Check your tyre pressure, empty the car, how many passengers are you carrying?
    or what i could do to stop her being so thirsty :(

Less right foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nickcleverley

Thanks for the replies lads :) i've only had her about 3 weeks, i did start driving it a bit recklessly admittedly, but i'm calming down now, it isn't tuned but there was some sort of induction kit in it, but i got a standard air box from a scrappy. Theres no other 'tuning' done to it. I checked the oil yesterday and it was empty :eek: so i filled it straight away. It can be a right bastard to start in the mornings, you have to rev her a bit for it to tick over :confused:.. It does feel like its very sluggish if you change gear at low revs and lack of a tachometer makes it difficult to judge a perfect shift :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

sounds like you're dirving her a bit heavy, id also suggest buying a new air filter.

also 20 euros is not a lot at all anymore. Sounds not too bad, its about 20-25MPG which for an old car isn't overly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Thanks for the replies lads :) i've only had her about 3 weeks, i did start driving it a bit recklessly admittedly, but i'm calming down now, it isn't tuned but there was some sort of induction kit in it, but i got a standard air box from a scrappy. Theres no other 'tuning' done to it. I checked the oil yesterday and it was empty :eek: so i filled it straight away. It can be a right bastard to start in the mornings, you have to rev her a bit for it to tick over :confused:.. It does feel like its very sluggish if you change gear at low revs and lack of a tachometer makes it difficult to judge a perfect shift :cool:

If the oil was that low its been a while since it was serviced. Give it a full service, fresh oil, oilfilter, airfilter and sparkplugs. And drive it a bit gently!

Also check the breathing pipes and throttle body housing...these could do with a clean too I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

And make sure none of the brakes are binding on all little, including the handbrake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

25mpg from a starlet is ridiculous. Is it a carb one or an EFi one?

Also it is 4 speed or 5? Probably should be 5 speed bein a 96 but a lot of those yokes are made up of several differnet cars by now and there were some mad spec variations anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Testament1

Twenty quid these days isn't much petrol, only 12 or so litres.

13.4 litres at 149.9 on my last trip to the petrol station. And that 13 litres lasts me around 160kms in the Levin so I'd imagine a Starlet ought to be a bit lighter on the juice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

You got 160km, he' got about ~95km. Not ridiculously off the money if his car had no oil, rallying the thing around the place, etc.

A full service, as suggested above should give a marked improvement. (Possibly) carrying lots of passengers in the new car wouldn't helpeither.

What kind of driving did the 60 miles consist of? Cruising at near 60mph on a main road or spinning around urban areas? If it's the later poor figures are to be expected. With an average speed of 10/15 mph (all anyone will achieve spinning about urban areas with lots of stop/go) very poor mpg will be seen even in super economical cars.

If the oil was that low its been a while since it was serviced. Give it a full service, fresh oil, oilfilter, airfilter and sparkplugs. And drive it a bit gently!

Also check the breathing pipes and throttle body housing...these could do with a clean too I reckon.
    ill need to find someone to help me to do that :o

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    25mpg from a starlet is ridiculous. Is it a carb one or an EFi one?

Also it is 4 speed or 5? Probably should be 5 speed bein a 96 but a lot of those yokes are made up of several differnet cars by now and there were some mad spec variations anyway

Its a 96, (new shape) 4efe 5speed and 1.3 efi

RoverJames wrote: »
    What kind of driving did the 60 miles consist of? Cruising at near 60mph on a main road or spinning around urban areas? If it's the later poor figures are to be expected. With an average speed of 10/15 mph (all anyone will achieve spinning about urban areas with lots of stop/go) very poor mpg will be seen even in super economical cars.

Mainly back roads as i live in tipp, all rank horrible roads in bad condition, average speed about 50mph

Mainly back roads as i live in tipp, all rank horrible roads in bad condition, average speed about 50mph

5th gear most of the time so I take it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

OP if you're averaging 50mph on the "horrible" back roads of Tip I'm guessing you are driving like you're in the "Stonethrowers". Take it nice and handy, change up as soon as you can and get her serviced properly.

Agree with another poster though. Most schoolgoers in the not so distant past could only dream of car ownership. Its only since the Celtic Tiger was around that students expected car ownership as a basic human right. "OMG I have to get the bus!"

veetwin wrote: »

Agree with another poster though. Most schoolgoers in the not so distant past could only dream of car ownership. Its only since the Celtic Tiger was around that students expected car ownership as a basic human right. "OMG I have to get the bus!"

There was always a few lads in 5th and 6th year that had their own cars when I was in school. That's as well as those who drive Mummy or Daddies car in to school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thanks in advance ;)

20 quid gets me the guts of 135 miles in the same car.......

Use the speedo when changing gear!

2nd 10mph
    3rd 25mph
    4th 40mph

and 5th anything above 45ish

Off course if you need to accelerate hard for overtaking you can keep it in 3rd all the way to 50.

The 4E-FE is a fantastic engine, buckets of power for the car the size of a starlet and can be quite economical. 45MPG is very easily attainable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

landyman wrote: »
    Use the speedo when changing gear!

2nd 10mph
    3rd 25mph
    4th 40mph

Uhhh... who uses mph these days?

On topic, my Corsa is doing about 26 mpg at the moment mainly suburban and some back road, no faster than 60kph. Should I worry?

Confab wrote: »
    Uhhh... who uses mph these days?

On topic, my Corsa is doing about 26 mpg at the moment mainly suburban and some back road, no faster than 60kph. Should I worry?

Speedo is in MPH in the starlet, the kph readings are tiny. Plenty of people still use miles.

And besides that i see you have no problems using imperial units either, miles per gallon....

Lads, don't say "I told you so" but due to an argument with the mother and gravel on the road outside my house, Mowgley the Starlet is no longer roadworthy :(. I must say i have learned not to drive when angry as i landed in the ditch sideways. FML

Lads, don't say "I told you so" but due to an argument with the mother and gravel on the road outside my house, Mowgley the Starlet is no longer roadworthy :(. I must say i have learned not to drive when angry as i landed in the ditch sideways. FML

Hope you didn't hurt yourself :(

landyman wrote: »
    Hope you didn't hurt yourself :(

No i was lucky, not a scratch on me, car is fuucked though :mad:

That's a disaster to say the least, good that no one was hurt though.

RoverJames wrote: »
    That's a disaster to say the least, good that no one was hurt though.

I know, silly me, i feel like a right idiot :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement