Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

billie1b wrote: »
    I was only asking because he said that he'll save €80 by going into St Nazaire instead of Roscoff. I drive the full length from Roscoff to Biarritz and it costs me less than €100 on Diesel in a 2.5td jeep. I just found it that very heavy on juice from Roscoff to St.Nazaire. Fuel in France is the same price as here, if not a little more expensive. Were we go its 20 minute drive to Spain, we get our diesel there, last year it was €1.15 per litre and with the discount 0.99c, crazy cheap, did me the whole drive all the way up to Cherbourg with some left over

Think youre forgetting the return journey there ours is 2.8l camper 540km is about 54l-60l of diesel depending on speed. Whats the discount youre talking about sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    I was only asking because he said that he'll save €80 by going into St Nazaire instead of Roscoff. I drive the full length from Roscoff to Biarritz and it costs me less than €100 on Diesel in a 2.5td jeep. I just found it that very heavy on juice from Roscoff to St.Nazaire. Fuel in France is the same price as here, if not a little more expensive. Were we go its 20 minute drive to Spain, we get our diesel there, last year it was €1.15 per litre and with the discount 0.99c, crazy cheap, did me the whole drive all the way up to Cherbourg with some left over

Diesel in France is cheaper than here, it was €1.24 per litre when we were there in August this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

paddyp wrote: »
    Think youre forgetting the return journey there ours is 2.8l camper 540km is about 54l-60l of diesel depending on speed. Whats the discount youre talking about sounds great.

Sorry I did forget the return journey, I apologise, the camper would generally be heavier on the juice. The day after we arrive in our apartment we generally pop to Spain for food and stuff for the apartment as its cheaper, if you spend between €50 and €100 in the supermarket you get discounts of the diesel, depending what you spend, its between .5c and .20c, I hold onto my receipt and drive down the night before we go home and fill up, generally save €30 on the price. The name of the supermarket is Alcampo

redmissb wrote: »
    Diesel in France is cheaper than here, it was €1.24 per litre when we were there in August this year.

Which station is that in, cheapest I got it around Seignosse is €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Clicking on the link but can't find the Rosslare route

It's there. Goes into St Nazaire. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1

It was at all the Super U ones we filled up at down in La Palmyre. Also €1.24 at Carrefour near the ferry port in Roscoff and cheaper still at the filling station at the port in Cherbourg, think it was €1.21 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4

Whoa, what discount??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

juneg wrote: »
    Whoa, what discount??
    Sorry I did forget the return journey, I apologise, the camper would generally be heavier on the juice. The day after we arrive in our apartment we generally pop to Spain for food and stuff for the apartment as its cheaper, if you spend between €50 and €100 in the supermarket you get discounts of the diesel, depending what you spend, its between .5c and .20c, I hold onto my receipt and drive down the night before we go home and fill up, generally save €30 on the price. The name of the supermarket is Alcampo

Easy enough to find if you read a few posts up.

redmissb wrote: »
    It was at all the Super U ones we filled up at down in La Palmyre. Also €1.24 at Carrefour near the ferry port in Roscoff and cheaper still at the filling station at the port in Cherbourg, think it was €1.21 there.

Yeah I got it cheap before in Cherbourg, the only place I found it cheap in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

You must be buying fuel on the motorway. GO TO THE SUPERMARKETS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

Hi - am about to book this offer as am afraid it may be gone if I leave it much longer - haven't done campsite holiday in france before (usually a package to spain is what im used to) so would love advice from some of you who have done it before please
    I would like to go near the Spanish border children 10 9 and 6 so near beach .... how long roughly to drive from st nazaire to close to Spanish border? any reccomendations in spain either? is the cost of living much higher in France ( in spain I usually fill the fridge n freezer on the 1st day from lidl or aldi) ............... help please as Im afraid offer will be over b4 I get the guts to book it!!!!

July 4
    happydays5 wrote: »
    Hi - am about to book this offer as am afraid it may be gone if I leave it much longer - haven't done campsite holiday in france before (usually a package to spain is what im used to) so would love advice from some of you who have done it before please
    I would like to go near the Spanish border children 10 9 and 6 so near beach .... how long roughly to drive from st nazaire to close to Spanish border? any reccomendations in spain either? is the cost of living much higher in France ( in spain I usually fill the fridge n freezer on the 1st day from lidl or aldi) ............... help please as Im afraid offer will be over b4 I get the guts to book it!!!!

you could drive down as far as Biarritz in 5 and a half hours. Given that you would be getting in at 7pm you should think about a stopover too. Maybe an F1 hotel or something
    https://maps.google.ie/

check out the campsites in keycamp. Thomson al fresco seem to have a discount on at the moment

If you dont fancy the driving you have all the vendee beach campsites on your doorstep within an hours drive from St Nazaire
    Book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

thanks juneg .... when im booking cabin if I have a party of 5 (and I was going to book 1 cabin and a seat n not use seat rather than split up) do I put in 4 in cabin or 1 in cabin section ( if I put in 4 the price escalates up to over 600 from over 300??? basically I want 1 cabin return

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

thanks juneg .... when im booking cabin if I have a party of 5 (and I was going to book 1 cabin and a seat n not use seat rather than split up) do I put in 4 in cabin or 1 in cabin section ( if I put in 4 the price escalates up to over 600 from over 300??? basically I want 1 cabin return

Put 1 in the cabin.....means you are reserving 1 cabin....which is what you want

If your interested in the beach, the little town I stay in beside Biarritz is Seignosse, just beside Hossegor, they have apartments and houses to rent for cheap enough and plenty of campsites. Its also on the longest beach in Europe, its a really major surf attraction town so its full of people, but also very quiet.

July 4

1 cabin and 1 seat. kids will fight tooth and nail over the top bunk and the youngest will sleep in with a parent!!:D

Bring a bag of food onto the ferry one european adapter and an extra pillow

Lots of threads here on how to survive a camping holiday
    http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=225

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

5 of us and I put in for 2 cabins. Would never think of doing this with IF so we top and tail 2 of the kids in one bed.

With the current LD offer the inside cabin was €25 each way extra, the outside cabin was €50 each way extra.

Well worth the extra €50 total for the inside cabin. More space and more shower time.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

hi.i am really tempted by this offer,travel to france in july
    however times are tough,we are on very strict budget.
    i wonder can my family(2 adults+5 year old) have decent 2 week holiday in france for 1000euro?thats excluding ferry price

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    i wonder can my family(2 adults+5 year old) have decent 2 week holiday in france for 1000euro?thats excluding ferry price
    Including accomodation ? 12 nights at 50 euro is 600, 120 petrol ( where are you looking at travelling to)
    Leaves 280 or 20 euro a day to feed 3. Its tight but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

July 18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5TDl82RkE

some video of the ship views of the inside from about 6 minutes. Only carries 500 which is a lot smaller than Brittany and IF so might be hard work if the seas are rough. Torn about booking this - difficult to look a gift horse but travel times are awful and losing days at either end of my two weeks holiday also difficult to get accomodation that isnt Saturday to Saturday. Arriving late means a stop over etc. Decisions.............time running out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

July 18

In July, Sorry but I doubt it. June it probably would be possible. Have a look at campotel.com for guideline prices. I've stayed at a few sites in France, last two years I've travelled with this company.

Edit:
    Sorry - I misread your post. I assumed you were looking at campsites and had 5 kids. The likes of Etap/F1 hotels are around €50 a night bed only also

July 18
    clevtrev wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5TDl82RkE

some video of the ship views of the inside from about 6 minutes. Only carries 500 which is a lot smaller than Brittany and IF so might be hard work if the seas are rough. Torn about booking this - difficult to look a gift horse but travel times are awful and losing days at either end of my two weeks holiday also difficult to get accomodation that isnt Saturday to Saturday. Arriving late means a stop over etc. Decisions.............time running out...

Does anyone know if it will expire tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

So looking for tips of where to go to stay around there. normally, we book a house of some description, but could be open to some of the campsites. Prices coming back are steep though, like €1200 a week. Is that normal for the first week in August?

:o

Yes - but it is cheaper to go direct to the campsites than using companies like Keycamps etc. Its definitely more expensive than a gite

July 4

go out on 27th June the day the schools get holidays.
    After that just try to find a reasonably priced campsite. Beaches of the vendee make for a good holiday

this company maybe
    http://www.flowercampings.com/en/index/

very reasonable campsites here for example
    is a nice one price for 11 nights €676

Or you can book a privately owned mobile home on many well known sites from the owner directly cheaper again
    http://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/french_lets_1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Just booked this for the 20th of June coming back on the 2nd July 2 adults 3 kids car and cabin. Price was only 303 euro return. Get in. 15 euro amendment fee in their terms and conditions if you want to change dates or names but we are fairly nailed on for those dates so happy days. Checked out the boat online looks just like the celtic lines ferry to Cherbourg and LD lines seem to have a very good name for their service overall. Can't see those prices lasting long they will be snapped up in no time and great to see a bit of much needed competition in this market. Even at double that price it's still excellent value compared to Irish ferries and Brittany from Cork who quoted us in and around 1200 for same dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

July 25
    Thanks OP, gonna save me a fortune. Just a few questions... What's the difference between a 4 berth inside and outside cabin, Is it just the window? If I put TBA in the car registration part will i be charged the 12.50 when I confirm it, it doesn't mention it in the terms. And finally where do you purchase the cancelation insurance? I presumed I'd be given the option and suddenly I'm booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thanks OP, gonna save me a fortune. Just a few questions... What's the difference between a 4 berth inside and outside cabin, Is it just the window? If I put TBA in the car registration part will i be charged the 12.50 when I confirm it, it doesn't mention it in the terms. And finally where do you purchase the cancelation insurance? I presumed I'd be given the option and suddenly I'm booked!

Inside= Inside of the boat, no window
    Outside = outside of the boat with a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4
    Thanks OP.. just booked for 27th June, day kids finish school. 2 x cabins needed for the 5 of us but all in STG£260!

Have been debating the trip to France for years now so looks like we may be doing it finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

great looking prices for this boat:D

for people wanting to holiday in france, especially self catering, try boncoin.fr the ordinary french person books directly with the owner through this, it"s like buy n sell, but in french, tap in where you want to rent in, location de vacances, and hey presto, cheapest way to find a rental in france IMHO you can always throw the writing onto a google translation....:p

• Advertisement

July 18
    Cheers OP, I spent the day thinking about it... but couldn't resist.

Heading to France again next July--- Irish Ferries wanted €1080:eek:, Celtic Link were €972:rolleyes: and LDlines were €326:D.

Advertisement