Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fake tanning on holidays?

Options
  • 09-04-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm heading off on holidays for a week to santa ponsa in July with my friends, and i'm thinking about my tan! I'm seriously pale, i've never tanned before I just get loads of freckles and burn easily, and I hate the feeling of being the palest one there! I was thinking about applying some fake tan before I go, nothing to dark and I know I still have to wear suncream over it! I just have a few questions:
    1. If I only go in the pool for short periods of time, will it make my tan go streaky?
    2. When I have to shave during the week, will that strip the tan?
    3. Should I bring a gradual tanning moisturiser along with me to keep it topped up?
    Thanks for your help in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

When I went away last year I opted for a spray tan the day before I headed off and then when it got a little patchy from the pool (not half as bad as I'd have thought) I used an instant tanner, not gradual. I think you would be better off having a separate moisturizer and tanner than a gradual one if you are layering on top of another tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

I have the same problem - red hair and skin that is so pale.

I went to Spain for a week last year and used cocoa brown gentle bronze - it's a gradual tanner. I started applying it a few days before going away and just used it every couple of days while I was over there. It just took the whiteness away on my legs, so I felt comfortable wearing a skirt at night and didn't have to mess around with instant tan. Its a good option and I'd Use it again if I was going away.

I got a spray tan another time and it did start to go patchy after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was thinking the same for myself this year as I'm super pale. We're going to Italy for two weeks. I read somewhere to exfoliate lots for a week up to the spray tan, the day after and then use a gradual tanner while on holidays. I did just the gradual tan last year but it disappeared in the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I did this a few years ago. I only cared about being tanned in the night time, so I went a different route. Had no bother being white and pasty in a bikini but dreaded the thoughts of standing next to my bronzed goddess friends while we were out by night :o

I went for an instant tan (pretty sure it was sunshimmer) and used it ever night after my shower. The next morning, I'd have a body shower and wash off the excess but still be left with a very light base which meant I wasn't snow white by the pool. I find tan sits on my skin - I can feel it - and I'd hate that feeling by day when I'm already sweaty and sticky.

This way I was lovely and tanned at night and felt clean and had a reasonable base by day. That's how I'd do it at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

Better off getting a base colour first on sunbeds not too much 3-4 mins each time for a few days that way wont have to worry about fake tans

• Advertisement
Advertisement